A Cautionary Tale
* Accident & Injuries - Chockstones forum. Please report climbing accidents here.
Adelaide Uni Mountain Club
Australian Climbing Gyms Association
Australian Climbing Instructors Association
Australian Mountaineers Info Network
Australian National Uni Mountaineering Club
Australian Sport Climbing Federation
Brisbane Rockclimbing Club
Canberra Climbers Association
Climbers Association of Western Australia
Climbing Club of South Australia
- The only website dedicated to climbing around the Top End of Australia.
Latrobe Uni Mountaineering Club
- A Melbourne based rock climbing club for lesbians!
Melbourne Uni Mountaineering Club
Newcastle Uni Mountaineering Club
Outdoor Recreation Centre
QUT Cliffhangers Rockclimbing Club
RMIT Outdoors Club< - Non students can join. They run climbing trips to Arapiles & Grampains.
Sport Climbing Australia
Sydney Climbing Club - Where to climb when you're in Sydney.
Sydney University Rockclimbing and Mountaineering Club
Tasmanian Climbing Instructors Association
The Border Climbing Club
UNE Mountaineering Club
University of South Australia’s (UniSA) Rock Climbing Club
University of Technology Outdoor Adventure Club in Sydney
UNSW Bushwalking & Mountaineering Club
* Victorian Climbing Club - As well as providing discount guidebooks to many local areas, they run trips frequently to many areas around Victoria including Arapiles, Grampians & Buffalo. (See also: Chockstone guide)
Western Victorian Climbing Club - Operating out of Ballart and surrounds. They meet every Tuesday and run regular climbing trips.
- Funded by Blue Mountains Cliff Care, it provides links to the various clubs and organisations around Australia that are attempting to look after our climbing destinations.
Climbing Code Of Conduct
Grampians Little Desert
- Manages our Victorian parks, including Buffalo, Grampians & Arapiles.
The Rebolting Fund< - NSW Rebolting Fund. Popular forum.
Aus.Rec.Climbing on Google
Australian Mountaineers Info Network
Climbing Australia< - Forum, guides, photos, etc.
- NSW climbing forum. Just getting off the ground. Needs more posters.
- Chat to other boulderers in Australia.
* Qurank - Queenland Climbing Online
- Talk to climbers in Tasmania.
*** Chockstone Forum
- Western Australian Forum
Climbing NT Forum
Above and Below Adventure Company
Aspiring Enterprises - Z makers of climbing harnesses, etc.
Big Red Climbing
Mingy Goat Climbing Equipment
- A Sydney company for climbing holds. Their new formula and shapes are absolutely awesome, and the price is right.
- Manufacturer of climbing holds in Australia.
- Manufacturer of climbing wall holds, etc.
- Producing fine urethane climbing holds in Armidale, NSW since 1996. They have hundreds of hold shapes, with awesome texture. Magical holds, the texture is not rough, just fine like sand paper. Heaps o'' grip!
Whippet Mountain Gear
- Brigitte Muir's website. Overseas guided treking, etc.
Arapiles Climbing Guides
Australian Climbing Consultants
Australian School Of Mountaineering
Blue Mountains Adventure Company
Capital Adventure Training
Climb For Life
- Not for profit trust formed by a group of volunteer rock climbers based in Melbourne.
- Guides and courses, based in Blue Mountains, NSW.
Field Touring Alpine - Western Australian based guiding company able to take you up some of the worlds highest peaks.
Grampians Mountain Adventure
- Halls Gap in the Grampians. Provides courses ranging from introductory through to guided ascents.
High And Wild
- Guides and courses, based in Blue Mountains, NSW.
- Kosciuszko Adventures are located in the natural environment of the Snowy Mountains and offers adventure activities for you to experience and enjoy.
Outland Expeditions - Not just climbing, but many other outdoor pursuits. Based in Sydney I think.
Professional Association of Climbing Instructors
Rock Solid Adventure - South Australian company based in Adelaide providing a range of adventure challenges to individuals, corporate, school and community groups.
Snowy Mountains Climbing School
The Climbing Company - Guided climbing at Arapiles. Founded by Louise Shepherd and Chris Peisker.
- Rock climbing and Abseiling around Coffs Harbour, NSW.
As - If you still can't find a local climbing gym try the directory over on Climbing Australia, or try Indoor Climbing for global gyms. Failing that you could always use the Yellow Pages.
Gyms In Northern Territory:
- The only climbing gym in the Northern Territory.
Gyms In NSW:
- 412 Frederick St, St Leonards. PH (02) 9436 4600.
Hangdog Climbing Gym - 130 Auburn St, Wollongong. PH (02) 4225 8369. Toproping. Gear shop.
Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym
- 185 The Mall, Leura. PH (02) 4784 2163.
The Ledge Climbing Centre
The Pitch Climbing Centre
- Level 2, 40 Third Ave, Blacktown NSW. PHONE: 9678 9635
- 1/91 Centenial Cct, Byron Bay. PH (02) 6680 8777. 22 ropes on walls of various angles.
Gyms In Queensland:
- A geocites site containing details of the gyms available.
Urban Climb Brisbane - Urban Climb offer a range of different climbs, bouldering routes, training courses, fitness courses, kid’s classes and group bookings.
Gyms In Victoria:
- Corner Grieve Parade & Dohertys road, Altona North. PH (03) 9369 6400. Some really good artificial rock surfaces. Lead climbing possible. In a building that also has squash courts, weights gym, etc. Has a small gear shop (which is also online), showers, etc. 20m tall, the tallest in the Southern hemisphere with more actual climbing surface area than all the others, including the world famous AME wall + a new Outdoor AME Wall. Friday Nights are 1/2 Price from 5:30pm. Also has a new 200sq mt Bouldering Cave, 2000 new uncarved block holds, it's own airconditioning, leather lounge area, BYO CD sound system, etc.
- 1618 Varman Court, Nunawading. PH (03) 9894 4183. Tall routes on "naturalistic" surfarces. Gear shop, cafe, and they offer courses too.
The Lactic Factory< - 1 Studley St Abbotsford - A 'boutique' bouldering only gym catering to climbers of all abilities, with a bias towards the more experienced climber training power.
The Rock Adventure Centre
Victorian Climbing Centre
- 4749 Mundy St, Bendigo. Part of the YMCA building. This is my local climbing gym. It's small in comparison to gyms in Melbourne, but they only charge a fraction of the price. You can boulder for only $1.70 if you buy a 10 session pass, or climb for about $5.50. You can also boulder for free, on the bluestone walls under the nearby railway bridge, but bring the mozzy spray. (See Chockstone guide).
Gyms In Western Australia:
- 12 White St, Bayswater. PH (08) 9371 9939. Leading, toproping, and bouldering. Locker room. Air conditioned. Courses offered.
- 63B John St, Northbridge. PH (08) 9328 5998. Showers. Air conditioned. Gear shop. Basic crag information and photos for climbing areas around Western Australia.
Accidental Injury Plan from GIO
- Run by climbers, info on new routes, local shops/resources, etc. Has a small magazine. Details on the Arapiles Mountain Shop, which do shoe resoling very handy!
*** Australian Climbing Association
Australian Climbing Festival
Australian Rockclimbing Internet Sites
Australian Sports Social Network
Big John's Retreads - Climbing shoe resolers with agents throughout Australia.
City Limit Bouldering
* Climbing Australia< - All about climbing in Australia. They nailed the right URL eh? They produce climbing videos, but also have a fairly good range of "how to" climbing articles on line.
- Rockclimbing guides to Western Australia.
- Originally developed to document new climbing areas around Sydney and the Blue Mountains.
** Crux - Australasian Climbing Journal
Grampians Climbing Areas
Guide to Rock Climbing
- New Zealand Rock Climbing and Bouldering site
Neil's Haul Bag
- Neil Monteith's site. Lots of great photos, and trip reports around the Grampians area.
New England Climbing - A good climbers resource, including animated graphics of knots, etc.
- On-line Guide to Queensland climbing. Still in development stages.
- Australian Crags, Canyons & Caves. Mainly NSW climbing news, trip reports, etc.
Red Centre Rock
- All about climbing in central Australia.
- Australia's published climbing mag. Pick it up from any newsagent.
Summer Camps USA
Sun, Sand, Surf
- A rock climbers guide to Sydney.
Sydney Android Climbing Guide
Sydney iPhone Climbing Guide
Tasmanian Climbing< - Jonathan Nermut's Tassie pages. (See also: Tassie Guide)
* The Crag
- A searchable index of climbs, including almost all climbs in Australia!
The Gong Guide
- [Link Broken?] Climbing in and around Wollongong
- For bouldering info in Victoria, Australia and beyond. Quiet forum.
- [Link Broken?] Australia''''s online climbing magazine.
Wills Climbing Page - A geocites site with details on many of the routes at crags in NSW and Victoria.
*** Chockstone Photography - Images of Australia by Chockstone''s author. Photos available for sale.
- Robert Downie's site. Australian climbing photos, as well as many nonclimbing & overseas shots.
* Onsight Photography - Simon Carter's online climbing photo gallery is simply stunning. A must see. I was given his coffee table book, "Rock Climbing In Australia",as a present now that's a gift!
* Open Spaces Photography
- Melbourne based outdoor gear store
Arapiles Mountain Shop
- Tree Climbing Gear
- For the biggest variety of brands of climbing gear in one shop. Some gear is available online. 15% discount for VCC members. We also stock harder to find gear like Big Bros, Pitons and Aid Gear along with industrial rope access equipment.
- Online store for outdoor adventure gear, including climbing stuff.
- On-line store for rope, harnesses, etc.
- Outdoor gear retailer.
- QLD based online climbing store.
- You'll find rescue equipment, military gear, Lifeline motorsport equipment, arbor gear and camping and wilderness gear.
** Rock Hardware
- Visit, phone (03) 5441 8886, or fax Steve Morris at 38 Neale St, Bendigo for all your climbing gear. He has the best prices in Australia, at least from my experience. Plus he's on for a chat if you need qualified advice, or just want to yak about climbing in general.
- More for hiking equipment, than climbing.
- Australian distributor for many climbing gear brands.
- A new outdoor/climbing store in Sydney
The Wilderness Shop - 969 Whitehorse Rd, Box Hill, Vic, 3128. ph (03) 9898 3742
- Online outdoor equipment and clothing store.
- Mail order climbing and other outdoor gear from Sydney.
Chockstone Video Gallery
- Irregular video and picture updates
Bureau Of Meteorology Forecasts
- 10 day forecasts for most towns in Australia.
Alpine Accidents In Canada
- Statistics from Accidents In North American Mountaineering graphed.
- From the Camp4 web site. One more good reason not to rap off a single piece.
* Blood On The Rocks< - An accident report by Michael Calnan on Alpinistas web site. Detailed and well written account of a 40 foot fall that resulted in massive injuries, and the subsequent 10 hour rescue by SAR and fellow climbers.
Injuries & Accidents
More Fuel For The Old Helmet Debate
- A good article about climbing accidents in Yosemite by John Dill, NPS Search and Rescue.
* Tragedy On The Pharaoh
Climbing Central Forums
- A fairly new bulletin board, allowing climbers to chat. Not many posts yet.
New England Bouldering Message Board
* Rec.Climbing on Google
Rec.Climbing.Useful - A moderated newsgroup, as an alternative to the more abrasive rec.climbing group over on Trail Space web site. Unfortunately a flat, linear style of presentation.
* Rock Climbing Forums - From the rockclimbing.com web site. These days seems to be the biggest climbing forum on the web.
- A UK group, quite a number of posts, visited regularly.
As a fast payroll