Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 3 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 154
Author
Ukrainian cams?

wallwombat
28-Aug-2007
3:25:56 PM
So, if these Ukranian cams do get UIAA approval will they suddenly cease to be crap?

nmonteith
28-Aug-2007
3:41:54 PM
On 28/08/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>So, if these Ukranian cams do get UIAA approval will they suddenly cease
>to be crap?

No - when major retail outlets in the rest of the world start selling them I would be more positivly inclined
to consider them. An ebay store doesn't exactly inspire retail confidence....

I strongly believe in the statement 'you get what you paid for'.

Eduardo Slabofvic
28-Aug-2007
3:58:55 PM
On 28/08/2007 nmonteith wrote:
>I strongly believe in the statement 'you get what you paid for'.

Hmmmm, like my Tr@ngo TCU's, which come apart in two easy to store sections.

kezza
28-Aug-2007
4:09:38 PM
What do you look for in a cam?
That is the question you should ask yourself.. (topic been done before?)

Someone already mentioned they are difficult to place, in my short trad climbing career this is a bad thing. If this cam was the same price as a BD cam, which would you buy?

? once it is UIAA approved, price will no doubt increase.
Reading this thread has given me no confidence in these cheapo cams

wallwombat
28-Aug-2007
4:19:13 PM
I've really enjoyed this thread. It's up there with my 'drilling on lead' thread for pure value and entertainment.

Neil, I have decided to keep my Ukrainian cams purely for belays on multi-pitch climbs. They will supplement the taped on sky hooks. It will give me and my partners that warm-in-the-tummy, Eastern Bloc sense of fruity goodness and overwhelming security. mmm mm!

Look out Boffin Island, here I come.

wallwombat
28-Aug-2007
5:32:00 PM
On 28/08/2007 kezza wrote:
>Someone already mentioned they are difficult to place, in my short trad
>climbing career this is a bad thing.

No they didn't. Paulie said he bought some Russian cams 12 years ago and THEY were difficult to place.

No one on this site has used the Ukrainian cams.
dalai
28-Aug-2007
5:44:46 PM
Given your comment re Neil and commission about BD gear and how you are such a supporter before even getting one in your hands, same could be asked of you in regards to the Rock4gear cams? ;-)

wallwombat
28-Aug-2007
6:12:34 PM
On 28/08/2007 dalai wrote:
>Given your comment re Neil and commission about BD gear and how you are
>such a supporter before even getting one in your hands, same could be asked
>of you in regards to the Rock4gear cams? ;-)

Look, the cams may be total shit. I'm just amazed at the vehement opposition by so many people who have never set eyes on the things.

I think I will create a new term for this opposition; 'equipment racism'.

If these cams were made in the states, not UIAA certified and only sold online, people would be lining up to buy them. As it is, they are made in the Ukraine, not UIAA certified and only sold online and people are shying away from them like they come dipped in poo.

A pure case of equipment racism.

nmonteith
28-Aug-2007
6:20:08 PM
On 28/08/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>If these cams were made in the states, not UIAA certified and only sold
>online, people would be lining up to buy them. As it is, they are made
>in the Ukraine, not UIAA certified and only sold online and people are
>shying away from them like they come dipped in poo.
>
>A pure case of equipment racism.

Very true wombat! Although i don't think it racism but nationalism perhaps? I guess most people fear
the unknown - and thats what the word 'Ukraine' is for most people.

Honestly, all i know about the Ukraine is they produced the best entry EVER into the Euro Song
Contest this year. I hope the factory that makes these cams is run by guys that look like this...
(warning - very catchy tune in link!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS-7ZGSbeEQ

nmonteith
28-Aug-2007
6:44:58 PM
...and if you a serious about learning about the Ukraine have a look here.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/up.html

wallwombat
28-Aug-2007
7:01:19 PM
I would use the term 'equipment nationalism' if this was an American forum. As it is, the closest the majority of users here have been to the states, is while watching the Simpsons. Me included.

If they were harping on about Australian cams I would use the term nationalism .

Yes, I saw the Ukrainian Dame Edna. Spectacular.

wallwombat
28-Aug-2007
7:28:58 PM
There is some info and photos of climbing in the Ukraine HERE. Looks amazing.

Also looks like the kind of place where they might make cams that work OK. I don't think climbers in the Ukraine can just pop down to the climbing store and buy themselves some Black Diamond cams.

Chuck Norris
28-Aug-2007
7:36:12 PM
On 28/08/2007 nmonteith wrote:
>...and if you a serious about learning about the Ukraine have a look here.
>
>https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/up.html

the CIA website to learn about Ukraine...nice...wouldn't it just be easier to look it up in wikipedia as its
the same people writing the information.

p.s. if the institute vouching for the cams is genuine then i'd have no probs using the gear from a pure
'breakability' perspective. ergonomics...etc...i'd be interested to hear.

pps. i've travelled overland across both Ukraine & the states - and they're both full of weirdos. Stay at
home don't go to either

wallwombat
28-Aug-2007
7:41:25 PM
Looks like there is a lot of nice limestone all over the Crimean peninsula, though.

Diablo
28-Aug-2007
10:34:56 PM
>pps. i've travelled overland across both Ukraine & the states - and they're
>both full of weirdos. Stay at
>home don't go to either

Hey, you know, there are just as many weirdos here as there are there! i happen to be American, and i prefer it here, but thats not because of the lack of weirdos..... ESPECIALLY in the climbing community.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
29-Aug-2007
8:03:37 AM
More esp. on this site? heh, heh, heh.

~ ~ ~

Interesting point you make re 'equipment racism' wallwombat.

I look forward to feedback on the item/s once you have them. Better still if we get our act together for an adventure then I may get to try them 1st hand!

Btw; If threads like 'Climbing Gear That Flopped' are any indication, then some 1st-country (as opposed to 3rd- country), items have not cut the grades in the past, and on the same flavour I'd sooner trust a Ukrainian cam than some other rubbish I have used which includes my home made efforts.
... I still love my hybrid aliens though!

GravityHound
7-Sep-2007
3:58:27 PM
On 14/08/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>
>Anyway, I bought 5 of those Ukrainian jobs. Mainly to supplement my rack
>for aid climbing. I don't know if they will be getting used for free climbs
>that often. $100 AU including postage for 5 cams. Even if they are crappy
>they will do as a back up for when I need lots of cams on my rack.

They must have arrived by now WW. how do they seem? excellent, OK, crap???? have you placed em yet? v curious about these....

wallwombat
7-Sep-2007
4:41:13 PM
Haven't arrived yet.

If they are as good as the Ukrainian postal service, I wont be using them to string up a washing line.

Mr Ticks
7-Sep-2007
5:01:13 PM
reputable companys have stuffed up!!! look at aliens, shit

wallwombat
7-Sep-2007
5:18:45 PM
I'm not particularly worried about the cams. I'm worried about whether I'll still be young enough to climb by the time I get the bloody things.

I went back to the online store and read all the feed back . Lots of people happy with the product but unhappy with the delivery time.

All I have to say to the Ukrainian Postal Service is “Chy ty z byka vpav?” , which is Ukrainian for 'Have you fallen off an ox?'

Or maybe, “Nai tebe kachka kopne!” (May a duck kick you!)

Page 3 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 154
There are 154 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints