Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 1 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 64
Author
Aldi Special
SteveH
2-Jul-2009
12:42:29 PM
Don't know why, but this alarms me a little... http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_9045.htm

Each to their own, but not where I would shop for such items, especially after what happened to my DWS
inflatable boat after one trip!

nmonteith
2-Jul-2009
1:14:13 PM
WTF!!!!? I wonder if the staff could tell me how it works?
devlin66
2-Jul-2009
1:28:27 PM
Chalk bag looks alright for $13!
patto
2-Jul-2009
1:37:14 PM
NO FRIGGEN WAY!

Aldi with climbing gear!

That said if it is rated then i'd trust it. Many carabiners from many reputable compainies are just restamped 'Lucky' branded carabiners.

I'm half tempted to go buy one now.

JBo
2-Jul-2009
1:38:42 PM
My thoughts exactly!

A quick search tells me the Adventuridge brand is owned by Aldi Assumedly they are like everything Aldi, made by a half decent manufacturer and rebranded to whatever.

Still a bit worrying though :oS
patto
2-Jul-2009
1:48:07 PM
I'm more interested in the merino wool themals!
Paz
2-Jul-2009
2:18:06 PM
Hopefully we'll find some in the Horsham aldi dumpsters....

capsicum - check
carrots -yep
flanny - sorted
belay device - ?

Sabu
2-Jul-2009
2:47:04 PM
Wow thats unbelievable! What next? a mountaineering axe?
Im tempted to go and see how many nufties start grabbing the biners and belay devices
just cos its cheap!

....although i could use treking poles and a map case !
patto
2-Jul-2009
4:09:56 PM
On 2/07/2009 Sabu wrote:
>Wow thats unbelievable! What next? a mountaineering axe?
>Im tempted to go and see how many nufties start grabbing the biners and
>belay devices
>just cos its cheap!
>
>....although i could use treking poles and a map case !
>

As hillarious as it is I see no good reason not to grab an Aldi belay device. I'm sure it comes out of the same factory as countless other branded belay devices. Beside despite being a safety device a tube belay device doesn't experience large forces.

I would be happy to buy a couple of the carabiners if anybody has a pull tester. I'd put money on them holding well over their rating. But im not planning to put my life on it....
BA
2-Jul-2009
6:08:45 PM
I'm gonna go and find an Aldi store ... 10 bucks is so cheap. If I'm lucky I'll get to use it this year, if not the next. If I'm lucky my leader/seconder won't die.
tastybigmac
2-Jul-2009
9:35:30 PM
as the brand says, you've got to be lucky with lucky gear. if you aren't you are in a world of hurt.
patto
2-Jul-2009
10:49:54 PM
On 2/07/2009 tastybigmac wrote:
>as the brand says, you've got to be lucky with lucky gear. if you aren't
>you are in a world of hurt.

It is the worst choice of name for a karabiner.

That said I've seen Metolius branded carabiners which are identical to Lucky branded ones.

A quick search and I found this:
http://www.chinasuppliers.globalsources.com/china-suppliers/Aluminium-Carabiner.htm

Which is a product list including a bunch of rockclimbing and key ring carabiners listed on the same product page. What is just as disturbing is that listed below you can see the carabiner stamped. TRANGO. A supposably reputable climbing gear company. (I think they may outsource all their production)

http://weijunpromotional.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008831056729/pdtl/Rock-climbing/1013417648/Carabiners.htm

I think we just have to accept that many of the biners on the market may be no different from an Aldi biner.

EDIT:
Omega pacific Rap ring here
http://weijunpromotional.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008831056729/Showroom/3000000152802/19372/Rock-climbing-gear.htm
richardo
2-Jul-2009
11:34:35 PM
On 2/07/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>WTF!!!!? I wonder if the staff could tell me how it works?

Its Aldi, the staff couldn't tell you how to heat up baked beans. But then most of the muppets working in
gear shops don't know shit either.

Get over yourselves if you are going to die climbing it won't be because you used an aldi sticht plate.
devlin66
2-Jul-2009
11:46:39 PM
On 2/07/2009 Sabu wrote:
>....although i could use treking poles

+1 at that price.

hangdog
3-Jul-2009
9:33:02 AM
I bought a couple of pairs of snow shoes from Aldi (they are called Hofer) in Austria. Used them in
January this year over there and they worked really well. Only cost $50 a pair. i have set a reminder so
that i can pick up some belay devices.

evanbb
3-Jul-2009
9:58:27 AM
On 2/07/2009 richardo wrote:

>Get over yourselves if you are going to die climbing it won't be because
>you used an aldi sticht plate.

Agreed. It's hard for me to imagine a way that a cheap belay device is likely to be the weak link in the chain. I doubt they experience much force, particularly compared to lead gear.
yankinoz
3-Jul-2009
10:13:04 AM
I just don't see how there is a big enough market for locking biners and belay devices for Aldi to even consider it.

nmonteith
3-Jul-2009
10:20:11 AM
I just think a shipment marked Aldi Austria ended up at Aldi Australia....

sliamese
3-Jul-2009
10:50:09 AM
On 3/07/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>I just think a shipment marked Aldi Austria ended up at Aldi Australia....

matching lederhosen will be on sale next week....
tastybigmac
3-Jul-2009
11:25:41 AM
On 3/07/2009 sliamese wrote:
>On 3/07/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>>I just think a shipment marked Aldi Austria ended up at Aldi Australia....
>
>matching lederhosen will be on sale next week....

is that where yours come from patto?

Page 1 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 64
There are 64 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints