Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 1 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 71
Author
Busted ankle bouldering solo 2nd April 2011

davidn
2-Apr-2011
10:32:04 PM
I fell over and hurt meself. Wot is youse guys fink?

Miguel75
2-Apr-2011
11:37:18 PM
Thanks for sharing your tale Davidn. I'm glad to hear you made it out safely and I hope your ankle heals quickly. Bouldering is of the devil...
One Day Hero
3-Apr-2011
12:05:38 PM
Wow! You're like the Joe Simpson of bouldering

Maybe you could edit the bit where you worry about what might have happened if you'd dropped into shock from a twisted ankle..........not very likely, nor good for the image of boulderers.

It might pay to compare your epic with that of a famous canberra hardman from an earlier era. Down in Adelaide, soloing at Morialta, he broke a hold and hit the deck resulting in two broken ankles..........then proceeded to crawl back to the car, and drove himself to hospital to get the casts put on!......I bet he wasn't fretting about dropping his phone then going into shock.

Good effort for a first solo-epic though, you might find that experiences such as this one are how one goes about 'ardening up.

Hope the healing process is quick

shortman
3-Apr-2011
1:10:03 PM
Well done davidn.

Thats the sorta thing I do when somethin goes wrong. Do somethin really dumb like lose a phone. Woulda pissed me right off.

Sounds like an adventure. Hat off to ya!
brendan
3-Apr-2011
1:22:55 PM
Lucky I couldn't go bouldering with you yesterday, would have had to carry you down the hill and you would have missed out on your epic story to tell the kids
Robertsonja
3-Apr-2011
3:31:00 PM
Were you carrying your EPIRB?
kieranl
3-Apr-2011
10:17:01 PM
I was going to ask how you managed the drive out. I badly sprained my left ankle a few years back, hobbled back to the Pines from the Pharos boulders but then couldn't push the clutch down far enough on the van. Had to get someone to drive me home. I guess pushing the accelerator wouldn't be too bad.

rodw
3-Apr-2011
10:59:01 PM
Ill say it..."glad your okay" :)
egosan
4-Apr-2011
7:40:06 AM
On 3/04/2011 kieranl wrote:
>I was going to ask how you managed the drive out. I badly sprained my left
>ankle a few years back, hobbled back to the Pines from the Pharos boulders
>but then couldn't push the clutch down far enough on the van. Had to get
>someone to drive me home. I guess pushing the accelerator wouldn't be too
>bad.

You think a boulderer could drive a manual? Funny guy, Kieran.
kieranl
4-Apr-2011
9:46:59 AM
I thought automatics were only for company cars and little old ladies.
satan
4-Apr-2011
10:31:36 AM
>And yes, I might consider getting an EPIRB if I'm going to be bouldering
>away from civilisation.

Yeah, why not put those costs onto society when you could take responsibility for your own actions, as you did here.

I've said it before. Real Men Crawl.

I know that my be construed as sexist but I am personally unfamiliar with any stories of women doing the solo crawl. Happy to be corrected.
kieranl
4-Apr-2011
10:42:06 AM
I rest my case.
One Day Hero
4-Apr-2011
9:19:15 PM
On 3/04/2011 davidn wrote:
>Was twisted ankle the best you could do? I'd say 'minor boo-boo'
>
So? What's the actual diagnosis? Is it broken? Does it need surgery to reattach tendons and ligaments and shit? If not, its a twisted ankle.

15 years of soccer gave me a pretty good knowledge of twisted ankles. Sometimes a bad one feels like shit, and you have to crawl off the field........but a week later you're walking without a limp and a month later its more or less back to normal. The important thing is not to bitch and moan too much until you have confirmation of serious damage. Cause if you act like you're dying then its all fine a week later, people will know that you're a pussy.
>
Have you walked
>on a broken bone?

Yes, misdiagnosis of a broken ankle as a twisted ankle by 2!! NZ doctors. I had to get myself back to australia before anyone would x-ray the thing. About a week of walking/hobbling on a fracture (pretty stable one though)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
4-Apr-2011
9:19:58 PM
I thought epirb's were indiscriminate, ie they set off and next thing you know, a chopper is trying to zero in on your signal.
If there is no middle ground for a 'normal evacuation' due to an epirb going off, then I am all for satan's suggestion of doing the crawl.
~> After all, if it was good enough for Doug Scott, and later for Joe Simpson, then I reckon bouldering types can learn from other's prior experience!

Oh, and by the way, I wish you a speedy recovery davidn.
brendan
5-Apr-2011
6:25:16 AM
On the topic of epirbs, a couple of people I climb with have recently brought a product called a spot, it is essentially a epirb that uses the satellite network to send pre-recorded msgs to your wife/partner via txt msg and email. The txt and email contain a link to google maps which shows your gps location. The msgs you pre program can be anything, I'm ok, I'm going to be late, I've hurt myself and im crawling to the car etc, there is also a button to press which sends out a panic msg to the authorities. They cost about 120 a year to connect to the satellite network,

rodw
5-Apr-2011
6:49:04 AM
Yeah I have one of those...handy if you in a location that has no phone reception...and lets the missus quickly check if you latev and see where you are....also good to use if out crag huntng to get back home a see exactly where you got to on google maps.

ambyeok
5-Apr-2011
9:09:45 AM
On 4/04/2011 One Day Hero wrote:
>Yes, misdiagnosis of a broken ankle as a twisted ankle by 2!! NZ doctors.

That wasnt a misdiagnosis. In NZ a 'break' is considered a twist. To be considered a break it would normally have to be detached from the leg and hanging by a single tendon.

hangdog
5-Apr-2011
9:39:27 AM
On 4/04/2011 One Day Hero wrote:

>15 years of soccer
>, people will know that you're a pussy.

u played soccer. people already know that you are a pussy if that was your game.
let me guess you are a walking or hobbling encyclopedia on that sport as well.

ironcheff
5-Apr-2011
9:45:00 AM
Well done for getting yourself out and not wanting to bother the emergency services. There was a chance though that because of your choice to go it alone you could have caused much more bother to the emergo services.

If you had have called 000 first up and been able to give an accurate location it would have been a dozen people carrying you out in day light or a heli lift all over in 1hr. If you had'nt made it out and was reported missing then it would have been a search scenario and involved lots more people and time.
widewetandslippery
5-Apr-2011
10:51:33 AM
On 5/04/2011 hangdog wrote:
>On 4/04/2011 One Day Hero wrote:
>
>>15 years of soccer
>>, people will know that you're a pussy.
>
>u played soccer. people already know that you are a pussy if that was
>your game.
>let me guess you are a walking or hobbling encyclopedia on that sport
>as well.
>

This is the direction this thread should take, is it better to be a wogballer or an EPIRBer?

Page 1 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 71
There are 71 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints