ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Page 8 of 14. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 275
Author
Info for Sarah...therefore not hijacked!

pmonks
19-May-2009
8:25:00 AM
>What good things are there about [snip] Victoria?

I'm not sure, but I think I finally discovered something good about Victoria when I was there last week: they drive in completely unpredictable and often (if you're watching from a safe distance) quite entertaining ways:

• use of indicators is optional

• ditto driving in a single lane

• ditto giving way when a lane merges

• hook turns look remarkably similar to vehicular suicide attempts

• Victorian trucks have magical braking capabilities, so don't worry if you find them cruising along at 110 km/h 10cm from your rear bumper

• on a single lane highway, the speed limit is 10 km/h under the officially signposted speed limit

• except in an overtaking lane, where the speed limit is governed by how hard you can accelerate away from anyone who's trying to overtake

• Vicroads add to the fun by partially constructing freeway exit ramps then leaving them unfinished for years at a time (wtf is up with Docklands anyway? Is it the world's biggest clusterf--- or am I smoking dodgy crack again??)

heh X 7

Sarah Gara
19-May-2009
8:27:02 AM
On 18/05/2009 Wendy wrote:

>I guess less than 100kms? It's 50km south of Mildura on the road from
>Mildura to here. Mildura being the biggest town in the region. Lots bigger
>than Horsham.

I think that's on the doorstep -from what I've learnt from you guys. -Thanks Wendy.

>Well, not so rare as we used to be. Actually, Nati has a great community
>of women climbers. I think the Chockstone sees few women because (a) there
>are less of us climbing generally and (b) less women are geeks.

Yeah I'm just facing up to the fact that I'm a geek... My friend called me a geek the other day and I was like "I am not a geek! Right , I'm getting the dictionary out to prove I'm not a geek...oh dear!"

I'm sure I never used to be... x

Sarah Gara
19-May-2009
8:32:49 AM
On 18/05/2009 Wendy wrote:
>The author of Wake in Fright also wrote "Pig" - somemore gentle nighttime
>reading to keep you concerned about life in Australia.

Have i got the right Jack thompson -How to feed a pig? I'll look further.

Yeah I hope the entertainment in Robinvale has improved since 1971 and the coin tossing as depicted in that film... Apparently they have a cinema twice a week. Twice a week guys. No doubt they'll be showing -Independence day or something... why am I doing this again? x

Sarah Gara
19-May-2009
8:34:56 AM
On 15/05/2009 prb wrote:
>A half-hour appointment with a podiatrist at SportsMed here in Adelaide
>is $55. As the name suggests,
>SportsMed is a large clinic with a range of services including podiatry.
>Off-the-shelf orthotics (brand
>name Prothotics) from SportsMed cost me $100.

Pretty reasonable -how's it doing? any improvement? x

Sarah Gara
19-May-2009
8:41:12 AM
On 15/05/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>But i don't see the advantage of a ute as a climbing vehicle compared
>to a softroader? By the time people attach fiberglass covers over their
>tray they might as well have bought a real car. I drive a Nissan Pathfinder,
>which is pretty much a Navara ute as the base, but with a softroader style
>wagon body. It's too big for the city though! :-)

Ok so you have me convinced on the whole not a ute as a car...

Now I'd love a Nissan Pathfinder -nice car-but reckon that would be way out of my budget - which I have no idea of what it would be - I'd say absolute max £3K and that's absolute max -I'd have to borrow for that. -I'd rather pay £1,500 -What's that I double it of Oz$ so $3K -Know any cheap auto places guys... do you have an autotrader equivalent? x

ajfclark
19-May-2009
8:41:17 AM
On 19/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote:
>So far we have -possibly a prize of Chocolate

Can't send chocolate over the internet... I could post a recipe for chocolate self saucing pudding or something though...

ajfclark
19-May-2009
8:43:56 AM
On 19/05/2009 pmonks wrote:
>>What good things are there about [snip] Victoria?
>
>- Vicroads add to the fun by partially constructing freeway exit ramps then leaving them unfinished for years at a time (wtf is up with Docklands anyway? Is it the world's biggest clusterf-ck or am I smoking dodgy crack again??)

You forgot that they seem to make roads with no camber that collect water rather than shedding it. Most noticeable on multi lane expressways.

pmonks
19-May-2009
8:50:53 AM
On 19/05/2009 ajfclark wrote:
>You forgot that they seem to make roads with no camber that collect water
>rather than shedding it. Most noticeable on multi lane expressways.

Yeah California has that problem too. Doesn't rain 3/4 of the year, then when it does the roads turn into a series of swimming pools - even some of the elevated freeways fill up with water, which is quite an impressive feat of engineering!!

Sarah Gara
19-May-2009
8:55:40 AM
On 18/05/2009 BA wrote:
>Wasn't Wolf Creek the prelude to Tourism Australia's last campaign,
>"Where the bloody hell are you?" A visit to the outback and all
>your relatives are asking "Where the bloody hell are you?" :-)

When I was about 18 I remember a british girl got pushed off a bridge somewhere in Oz when she was walking to make a phone call -my mother made me promise that I'd never go backpacking round Australia. Asia ok -but not Oz. dangerous place -full of dangerous people -convicts (now that is trolling!) and stuff out to kill you...

I was out in the Lake district at the weekend

http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/w0212.htm

for some idea of the terrain -but a lot wetter.

and as we were walking through the beautiful mossy wood -we got attacked by a load of caterpillers -they were everywhere and every time you looked you had another crawling up your leg or on your shoulder -Now I wasn't scared as I know nothing in the Uk can kill you but I still didn't like them crawling on me. -Am I just gonna have to toughen up?

Honestly -How many of you have seen a redback spider? do they just bite for the fun of it? and have you ever been bitten by one or know anyone that has? x
devlin66
19-May-2009
8:58:39 AM
>>What good things are there about [snip] Victoria?
>
>I'm not sure, but I think I finally discovered something good about Victoria
>when I was there last week: they drive in completely unpredictable and
>often (if you're watching from a safe distance) quite entertaining ways:
>

>

• >
  • ditto driving in a single lane

• >
  • ditto giving way when a lane merges

• >
  • hook turns look remarkably similar to vehicular suicide attempts

• >
  • Victorian trucks have magical braking capabilities, so don't worry
    >if you find them cruising along at 110 km/h 10cm from your rear bumper

• >
  • on a single lane highway, the speed limit is 10 km/h under the officially
    >signposted speed limit

• >
  • except in an overtaking lane, where the speed limit is governed by
    >how hard you can accelerate away from anyone who's trying to overtake

• >
  • Vicroads add to the fun by partially constructing freeway exit ramps
    >then leaving them unfinished for years at a time (wtf is up with Docklands
    >anyway? Is it the world's biggest clusterf--- or am I smoking dodgy crack
    >again??)

• >

>heh X 7

Remarkably similar to Queensland drivers. Just throw in the old 'maroon pride' and cop a bit of agro as well.

Sarah, Cars prices here compared to the UK will scare the crap out of you. I would budget probably $5000-6000 at a minimum to get a van that resembles some sort of roadworthy reliable transport. If you shop around you might get something cheaper but you would be a lucky.

Look at www.carsales.com.au , www.carpoint.com.au and even www.ebay.com.au might turn up a bargain.

Sarah Gara
19-May-2009
9:03:39 AM

>

• I'll fit in nicely.

Do you guys have roundabouts?

>
  • except in an overtaking lane, where the speed limit is governed by
    >how hard you can accelerate away from anyone who's trying to overtake

• I bet these people drive a ute (no offence meant Zebedee) x
    Wendy
    19-May-2009
    9:05:58 AM

>Some time ago I wrote:
    >>something along the lines of...What good things are there about Australia
    >and Victoria?
    >
    >So far we have -possibly a prize of Chocolate and the fact that there
    >aren't aligators or crocodiles...anything else? Come on guys... anyone?
    >

Well, lots of visitors from the UK suddenly find themselves doing anything to stay here so we must have something going for us. We could start with the weather. Rain will prevent you climbing on approximately 0.1% of the days you want to go climbing on (here anyway, it does actually rain in the Blueys). Space. We do squish 1/3 the populaton of the UK into 20 or so times the size. Fresh air. Once you leave the cities (or the Latrobe Valley) the pollution levels are really low. Being able to get on the route you want at the crag (except at Easter maybe). Climbing at one of the best crags in the world in perfect weather and not being able to see another party on the cliff (has been like this most days since the last school hols). Amazing ancient landscapes. Kooky and cute wildlife. Beaches. I didn't realise how fantastic our beaches were til I went back to Euro beaches. Cost of living is low. Australia and Antartica are the only continents without landmines left over from some nasty conflict. In all my travels, I haven't been inspired to settle anywhere else. Although I could come up with an equally long list of problems with Australia, the balance goes to the positives.

Northern Australia is gorgeous too. Definately brave the crocodiles to go there. Walk out of the tourist areas in Kakadu and into your own private tropical resort.

ajfclark
    19-May-2009
    10:01:30 AM
    >Honestly -How many of you have seen a redback spider? do they just bite for the fun of it? and have you ever been bitten by one or know anyone that has? x

Let's see... I've got some photos of various spiders I've had encounters with. Apparently redbacks are more aggressive when looking after an egg sack. Here's a redback looking after her egg sacks in my old garage (maybe 2-3cm including legs):

20050311 Redback spider

full res

Then there was a group of these on the couch out the front (which I never sat on) (maybe 5cm including legs):

20050303-021636-dsc_3850

full res

This guy dropped on me as I walked through the door to my garage in Canberra (causing me to squeal like a girl and throw my washing on the ground). I went back with a camera later and he'd resumed his position above the door and is a little over 10cm including the legs:

20050228-203441-dsc_3845

full res

I've had less issues since I moved out of that house though... I think in the three years I've been in Victoria I've only had to catch three huntsmen in the house to put outside. That could just be that I'm in a more urban area now though. I don't have any photos of the ones down here, my other half doesn't let me faff about taking photos of them, just have to catch them and put the outside.

As for people being bitten, there was a recent trip to hospital from Stapylton camp ground after a young lass was bitten on the bum by a spider... I'm sure there was a mention in Argus or something, the details slip my mind...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
    19-May-2009
    10:09:06 AM
    On 19/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote (re >>Trivial pursuit ...)

>Is there a prize? Is it chocolate? mmmm.... chocolate... x

This site is called Chockstone, not chocolatestone.
    ~> What do you reckon might be a prize again?

... Here is the last prize winner checking out his after it was delivered by his mates.

(betchafeelingthesamewaynow! chortlex3)

Change of subject ...

You do know of course, that any climbing trips you undertake are supposed to be reported here ?
    How did the aid climbing on the w/end go?

>Honestly -How many of you have seen a redback spider? do they just bite for the fun of it? and have you ever been bitten by one or know anyone that has? x

I would be surprised if many Australians have not seen a redback spider. They really are quite common. They also need not be the classic black with red stripe, but sometimes come in hybrid colours (dirty white, no red markings etc). They tend to scurry away or drop off their webs if disturbed. Sometimes they curl into a fetal position on the ground to avoid detection afer dropping off the web. Most people who have had much experience with them do not regard them as aggressive. The number of bites are low as a consequence, though I have squashed them bare handed (can get away with it if you are quick), but would not try this with a funnelweb.
    I know a bloke that was bitten by a funnelweb. Their bite is bad news. Contrary to popular belief the 'Sydney' funnelweb is quite common on the east coast and mountain areas of eastern Australia. They have close relatives that live in trees, and also close cousins like the mouse spider that are found inland (including Arapiles) ...
    devlin66
    19-May-2009
    11:21:49 AM
    >Do you guys have roundabouts?

Many of them. Canberra is famous for it's round abouts.But we don't have any Magic round abouts like in Swindon. What a mind f**k that thing is.
    Wendy
    19-May-2009
    1:09:44 PM
    My house is crawling with daddy-long-legs, a few black house spiders and huntsmen, the odd white tail, those light brown stripey things that you normally see in the garden, they might be wolf spiders and even one redback (redbacks don't normally like houses). There are plenty of redbacks in places like the wood pile though. You do get used to critters. Well, some people do. Others live with a can of mortein in their hands. I sweep up as many of the daddylonglegs as possible but they keep rebuilding their homes on me. I ignore the housespiders and huntsmen, they eat lots of flies without bothering me or creating a mess. I squash the white tails and relocate the others. I've been bitten by the garden spiders and a white tail and it's really not that bad. No hospital visits required! Still, I don't like the white tails, they get really big here and bites can get infected and yucky and they're supposedly agressive.

When I lived in the blueys, I got up one morning after a party and found a funnelweb drowned in the dregs of a beer. I was a little disconcerted by that one. A workmate caught another in a jar and poured metho on it to kill it and said it stayed alive for 45minutes and he could hear it's fangs tapping as it attacked the glass. He may have been exagerating, but he did save the carcass preserved in metho for us. On a bush walk up north, the best campsite we found turned out to be infested with orb spiders. They are huge things but normally hang out in their webs and don't bother you if you don't walk into them. But it must have been moving season and a couple just kept appear in our campsite and we'd try and relocate them only to have them reappear - in our shoes, our bags ... then I lost sight of one and couldn't find him at all. Next thing I feel something on my tummy and this enormous bloody spider has crawled up me so i screamed and slapped at it and jumped up and down madly and instisted that we move camp!!! I became really edgy about orb spiders for the rest of that walk - they were often everywhere in the gorges and a few days later, i'd just negotiated a creek crossing vi a bit of a crawl and scramble and was about to stand up on the other side when I looked up and was nose to nose with another one. Really wasn't my trip for spiders ...
    prb
    19-May-2009
    1:10:36 PM
    One important road rule to remember in Victoria is don't overtake an overturning vehicle.

Most properties in Adelaide would have redbacks, but they tend to keep to themselves outside or on
    verandahs living in disused furniture etc. I'd say white tip spiders are more of a concern here as they
    enjoy the indoor life. A favourite trick of huntsmans is to hide on top of the sun visor in your car and
    then when you tip it down they fall onto the steering wheel...

On 15/05/2009 prb wrote:
    >A half-hour appointment with a podiatrist at SportsMed here in Adelaide is $55.
    >Pretty reasonable - how's it doing? any improvement? x

Yes, thanks. Spent last weekend at Arapiles climbing and walking (up and down with a pack) with very
    little pain unlike a Moonarie trip several weeks earlier. Tested the foot on Long Hair and Great Coats
    (fun), In Lemon Butter (3 stars in my book for moves, rock and protection), Touchstone RHF (good
    climbing, deserves more attention), Touch-Type (bolted relief), the pleasant 17 on The Plaque I'd
    passed 10,000 times but had never done, Dramp (one move slightly technical) and Poppies (P1 by the
    line given in the previous guide, P2 by the line given in the current guide; it depended on whether Mike
    or I was leading and what book we had!)

pmonks
    19-May-2009
    2:43:47 PM
    On 19/05/2009 devlin66 wrote:
    >On 19/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote:
    >>Do you guys have roundabouts?
    >
    >Many of them. Canberra is famous for it's round abouts.But we don't have
    >any Magic round abouts like in Swindon. What a mind f**k that thing is.

Is that like Milton Keynes? I start getting car sick just thinking about the one time I made the mistake of driving through that place!! Holy snapping roundabouts Batman!
    devlin66
    19-May-2009
    9:58:40 PM
    Not sure. The one in Swindon there are 5 little round abouts outside of the main one. You have to go clockwise around them as your going anti clockwise around the main one. I really don't know how they figured it out in the first place.

edit* this is it. Try and work that puppy out!!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Swindon,+UK&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.644639,79.101563&ie=UTF8&split=0&t=k&ll=51.562902,-1.771291&spn=0.001184,0.003433&z=19

foreverabumbly
    20-May-2009
    2:02:19 AM
    >and as we were walking through the beautiful mossy wood -we got attacked
    >by a load of caterpillers -they were everywhere and every time you looked
    >you had another crawling up your leg or on your shoulder -Now I wasn't
    >scared as I know nothing in the Uk can kill you but I still didn't like
    >them crawling on me. -Am I just gonna have to toughen up?

Dont you have spitfires over there? the poisonous catterpillers (again not joking)

All stirring aside (freaking out Poms about snakes spiders etc is part of our national identity and is a requirement) you do get used to the creepy crawlies, they do tend to keep to themselves. You do need to put up with some amounts of crawling on you, it is what happens. Dry your eyes and get over it. Treat poisonous things with healthy respect and they will do the same too you.

But you also get to witness the beautiful landscapes that are unique to Australia. Get woken up by Kookaburra's (or Gala's) get close to cool animals like Kangaroos, then you can shoot them and eat them. (I just came from a party where we had two roos over a spit - fantastic)
    The people are friendly and generous. There is always people willing to help. There are no fanatic football (soccer to us) fans ready to go you with a shank for wearing the wrong colour top. And you think a spider is dangerous!
    We embrace and love the metric system which is a far better way of measuring things than pounds and miles - which you lot seem to have hard time letting go of.

And the beer is better.

Page 8 of 14. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 275
    There are 275 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
    Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
    Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints