Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 31
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Wollondilly climbing
Winston Smith
9-Mar-2009
9:59:47 PM
I've been flicking through Harry Luxford's An Interim Guide to Rockclimbs at the Wollondilly (1984) and wondered if anyone has any recent beta on the status of the crags listed therein.
Thes crags are Lanagan's Falls and Perpendicular Rock.
The latter, for instance, has two climbs Hercules (20) and Orchasm (15) that are listed in Classic Climbs of Australia. Hercules was put up by the Master himself - John Ewbank.
Questions.
1. Are these crags worth a visit? - they seem to be impressively high - up to120m tall.
2. Are these crags very far from the new Wingello crag?
3. Are either of these crags accessible?
4. Which one of these crags is on land owned by Ivan Milat's family?

wallwombat
9-Mar-2009
10:53:00 PM
From what I have gleaned from a fairly reliable (when sober) source, Perpendicular rock is well worth a visit whereas Lanagans Falls isn't.

At least that's what widewetandslippery told me.

They are about as far from Wingello as the Wolgan is from Shipley.

Unsure of current access.

These crags are REALLY in Ozark country. Probably not owned by "softies" like the Milats.

You will be guaranteed to hear banjos playing in the distance.
GoUp!
10-Mar-2009
9:06:33 AM
I've been out there a couple of times and here are my two cents worth:
1/ Perpendicular Rock - absolutely. It is just so different to any other crag within cooee of Sydney. Real multipitch adventure scene similar in nature to the 'Bungles - ie have your shit together on natural adventure routes. Centrepoint (17) and Hercules (20) are fantastic. Lanagans is a slightly different story. It has lots of potential for bolted arete slapping and thin cracks/corners........and here comes the but.....it just needs a good case of Agent Orange. The rock is pretty clean.....its just the hideous bush bashing through vines, jungle and poisoness plants which sting for hours. If tracks were in then it would have great potential and would be a superb addition to the Sydney/Canberra scene.
2/ In the 'general' vicinity but probably one and a half hrs drive between the two....and then add the walk-ins for good measure. Perpendicual and Lanagans are approx 45mins north of the Hume up near Wombeyan Caves whereas Wingello is south....is it still a secret crag.....Mmmmmm!
3/ Accessible - yes if you like walking. Perpendicular is a straightforward and obvious uphill 45min slog from the road. Just keep heading up - it has wonderful views up there.
Lanagans - yes, up a stream bed in a valley (boulder hopping etc) and then through yukky jungle.
4/ No idea. Just duck when you hear the shooting and have various escape routes planned. But let's give the Milats the benefit of the doubt - one bad egg shouldn't spoil the rest of them.........!
GoUp

BundyBear
10-Mar-2009
10:40:58 AM
** WINGELLO UPDATE **

Looks like the RTA has extended the M5 to the top of the cliff. The road is now comfortable for two way traffic with overtaking lanes. It looks nothing like it used to. The fire has burnt out all around the road in the NP, but stopped about 100m short of the cliff. From the climbing you can’t see that it has been burnt at all. I guess the RFS got sick of getting stuck on the road on the way in and they have brought in the heavy machinery to take care of it all. Some putz has put a couple of small trees across the road to make it look worse than it is, but these would move with a couple of people pulling at them.

widewetandslippery
10-Mar-2009
1:29:56 PM
I've only been to Lanagans with GoUp. Lets put it this way, its worth a look. You can't make your own mind up about crags without seeing them for yourself. GoUp had the Sydney Rockies Hot Rocks guide. It got us to the crag but wasn't so good at identifying routes. The stinging nettles in the creek are a better option than the pain inflicted by the flora up the hill.

JTJ
28-Mar-2009
5:13:23 PM
On 10/03/2009 BundyBear wrote:
>** WINGELLO UPDATE **
>
>Looks like the RTA has extended the M5 to the top of the cliff. The road
>is now comfortable for two way traffic with overtaking lanes. It looks
>nothing like it used to. The fire has burnt out all around the road in
>the NP, but stopped about 100m short of the cliff. From the climbing you
>can’t see that it has been burnt at all. I guess the RFS got sick of
>getting stuck on the road on the way in and they have brought in the heavy
>machinery to take care of it all. Some putz has put a couple of small
>trees across the road to make it look worse than it is, but these would
>move with a couple of people pulling at them.
>
>

have removed the trees, you can now access all the way to the bottom

dident want to walk up the hill !!
Lee C
12-Jun-2009
1:20:26 PM
I recently got a drunken spray of froth about there being amazing, steep, splitter cracks of dolerite in this
area. Am I being stitched up by an old sand bagger? Whats the potential like?

rodw
12-Jun-2009
1:48:55 PM
Ive heard the rumour too Lee...I do believe its true...cant remember details though.
Lee C
3-Jul-2009
3:50:50 PM
On 12/06/2009 Lee C wrote:
>I recently got a drunken spray of froth about there being amazing, steep,
>splitter cracks of dolerite in this
>area. Am I being stitched up by an old sand bagger? Whats the potential
>like?

Anyone... anyone?

nmonteith
3-Jul-2009
4:07:37 PM
Mikl showed me some photos the other night. It's not exactly Ben Lomond perfect splitters, but it certainly looks very Tasmanian. Looks like some fine crack routes - but a lot of its slabby. Worth a look!

HM33
3-Jul-2009
4:12:35 PM
is this perpendicular rock?
Lee C
3-Jul-2009
4:19:31 PM
On 3/07/2009 hawkman wrote:
>is this perpendicular rock?

Yeah, I think that name may have been spluttered out. Have you been?

nmonteith
3-Jul-2009
4:25:50 PM
On 3/07/2009 hawkman wrote:
>is this perpendicular rock?

Yes.

HM33
3-Jul-2009
4:53:03 PM
no i havn't Lee, was just reading the guide, looking at it on google maps and discussing with mike earlier this week

Damien Gildea
7-Jul-2009
2:25:19 PM
Google Earth
S 34 18 35
E 150 05 52

Superstu
26-Mar-2011
9:58:41 PM
Just OCR'd in the old guides to Wollondilly (Perpendicular Rock and Lanagans Falls) from the hard-to-find 1998 Hot Rocks Guide. Awesome slapping aretes and Tasmanian style dolerite jamming sessions await ye who boldly go...

http://routes.sydneyrockies.org.au/display/nswrock/Wollondilly

I s'pose y'all want the Gib in too?
bobic
26-Mar-2011
11:02:30 PM
Wow! Didn't know it existed. Gotta check it out!
Bultitude
16-Aug-2013
11:10:57 AM
Sam (sbm) and I are headed out to check out Perp. Rock on Sunday. If anyone wants to tag along they are welcome.

Shoot me a PM to discuss.

rodw
16-Aug-2013
11:47:33 AM
Don't forget ya camera, expect full TR Monday :)

Superstu
16-Aug-2013
5:40:14 PM
"Yeaarrrghh. Look down dar, eet loooks like sum of dos perve-erted citee slickerrs have cum back and ar trespassin' on ma land agin.... Fetch ma gun, boy, we're goin a huntin ... !"

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 31
There are 31 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints