Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Kids Climbing

tonyk
30-Aug-2015
7:59:30 AM
There comes a time in a climbing career (if you could call it that) where the focus changes from the routes the individual can climb and becomes more about the routes their offspring can climb.

As I have been making the slow transition into this I am looking for information on climbing areas/outcrops/boulders that anyone in chockstone land have used/know of to teacher their kids the basics. Looking for locations in the upper Blue Mountains for weekend fun and would be really interested in places in the lower mountains that would be accessible for afternoon jaunts during daylight saving.

Criteria:
- Flatish kid friendly base
- Super easy rock faces that kids can achieve on
- Shortish walk (no more than a km)
- Not interested in the gym

I have some ideas but am looking for the holy grail!!

Happy for company if anyone is in the same boat.

figs
30-Aug-2015
8:40:27 AM
Took a 3 and 5 year old to The Soft Parade recently: https://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/blue-mountains/mount-victoria-area/area/243142314

Did a couple of climbs that were easy enough for the 5yo but the 3yo struggled. Also there are some slightly sketchy parts of the walk in where hand holding was required. Worth checking out though, gets nice winter sun.

rodw
30-Aug-2015
2:45:58 PM
Lower Blueys..

Slab world..walk in is steep though
http://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/blue-mountains/slab-world

The Heights (only a couple of super easy routes..short walk in though.)
http://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/blue-mountains/the-heights

Upper blueys

Bung Crag - especially the Pagoda Environs which is prefect for kids..
http://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/gardens-of-stone-area/bung-crag

tonyk
31-Aug-2015
3:40:47 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions. Bung crag looks like it has some stuff that would give my little ones a good sense of achievement.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tony
surfziggy
2-Sep-2015
4:29:14 PM
Dam Cliffs has one 10 and one grade 12
http://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/blue-mountains/the-dams-cliffs/area/243086427

It's also safe for kids and an easy and fun walk in. There's a little scramble down and a stream to rock hop across - but hey you're taking them climbing.
martym
2-Sep-2015
5:03:07 PM
Dam Cliffs is awesome for kids.
If you want them to climb, though, maybe somewhere with less distractions?
Otherwise you'll be building a dam in the creek most of the day...
technogeekery
22-May-2016
8:05:04 PM
I just took my 11-year old to Slab World based on this suggestion - brilliant idea. Lovely spot, much more aesthetically pleasing than I'd guessed for so low in the mountains. Quite a stiff walk in (quite steep, but <1km and not at all scary steep) , but apart from that, - flat base to the cliffs, short climbs, super user-friendly bolting, lots of easy easy grades - we got up 11 routes in the day, and everyone had fun. Nothing spectacular, but some fun climbs, and a great introduction for a newby or the kids. A couple of harder moderate climbs (up to 21) to keep the interest levels up. Worked up a sweat on the way out, but no whinging from my son - he gets to come again.

There is not a lot of easy bolted stuff in one place in the Blueys, this is about as good as it gets. Cheers to the Wills team, nice job.

rodw
23-May-2016
6:59:20 AM
Glad you enjoyed it and yep that walk out sucks the big one..try it loaded with bolting gear

Zarb
23-May-2016
7:46:17 AM
Soft Parade would be amazing for kids.
technogeekery
23-May-2016
1:01:35 PM
I've got Soft Parade and Bung Crag on my to-do-with-kids list, along with Bangor.

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints