nmonteith
25-Jun-2004
4:24:12 PM
how about this one steve?
gfdonc
25-Jun-2004
4:27:30 PM
Here ya go.
> Anyone have any beta on She? I'm wondering what other lines on the highest part of the north wall are worth doing. Lord Gumtree looks a bit chossy in photos.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
25-Jun-2004
5:17:51 PM
I don't have any specific beta, but if you are looking for a slow partner then I'm interested!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
12-Jan-2014
4:56:52 PM
Nearly ten years later; ... a bump for an old thread with good information contained within it.

This third thread page seems somewhat disconnected to the first two...

On 25/06/2004 nmonteith wrote:
>how about this one steve?

nm, do you still remember what it was you were referring gfdonc to, or are you referring specifically to She*?
(*as implied by his response).

@
>Lord Gumtree looks a bit chossy in photos.
Lord Gumtree gets more traffic than She, ... with resultant less lichen regrowth!

@ gfdonc
Are you attending the upcoming VCC Australia Day W/end at Buffalo?
If so, are you interested in accompanying me on a one day ascent (potential epic!), of Lord Gumtree? ~> If so, I bags's the crux pitch (kind of right-diagonally-upwards - adjacent/slightly above Big Grassy, but starting from below it).

goshen
12-Jan-2014
10:23:52 PM
If gkdonc can't make it - I would be happy to accompany you M9. I've booked in for the 18-22nd, not sure if that overlaps - but I can move fast if you can. Otherwise, no probs, will be happy bumbling up whatever with whoever.
gfdonc
13-Jan-2014
11:08:14 AM
1. Yes planning to be up there.
2. Not planning any aid ... lemme think about that.
3. You're really digging around the archives aren't you?
kieranl
13-Jan-2014
11:53:15 AM
On 12/01/2014 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>If so, are you interested in accompanying me on a one day ascent (potential
>epic!), of Lord Gumtree? ~> If so, I bags's the crux pitch (kind of right-diagonally-upwa
>ds - adjacent/slightly above Big Grassy, but starting from below it).
>☺
M9, I trust that you are going to do the original pitches below big grassy and not cheat by staying in Ozy up to that point. I've heard that many parties now avoid the original lower pitches for fear of the giant huntsman (apparently related to Shelob and that one from Harry Potter) that reputedly lurks there :)

nmonteith
13-Jan-2014
12:05:48 PM
I've done those original pitches of Lord Gumtree about 12 years ago and they were heavily vegetated (but fun). Bring a digging tool. At one stage the vegatated clump of grass I was standing on fell off - with me.
pecheur
13-Jan-2014
1:01:20 PM
On 13/01/2014 gfdonc wrote:
>3. You're really digging around the archives aren't you?
>
Does that count as digging through the archives? A search for aid would probably still put this thread in the first search page in the entirety of Chocky history ;p
Fish Boy
13-Jan-2014
3:29:56 PM
Gumtree and She are similar in terms of lichen Rod. The only problem is finding the bat holes on She, and that's no big deal.

Good luck!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Jan-2014
5:15:17 PM
On 13/01/2014 kieranl wrote:
>M9, I trust that you are going to do the original pitches below big grassy
>and not cheat by staying in Ozy up to that point. I've heard that many
>parties now avoid the original lower pitches for fear of the giant huntsman
>(apparently related to Shelob and that one from Harry Potter) that reputedly
>lurks there :)

Hmm.
It may be the same family member, but I have noticed the mega-huntsman at the 2nd belay (a totally hanging one), of Ozy. She actually is quite good at surprising belayers, as she waits till they are well ensconced before appearing...

Regarding 'cheating', I am surprised that you do not consider me a traditionalist, which dictates that I stay true to the original line.
In fact it is only in reading your post that any other option ever occurred to me!! - Though the exercise is mute, because I have led all of the lower pitches of both Ozy and LG already!

On 12/01/2014 goshen wrote:
>If gkdonc can't make it - I would be happy to accompany you M9. I've booked in for the 18-22nd, not sure if that overlaps - but I can move fast if you can. Otherwise, no probs, will be happy bumbling up whatever with whoever.

Sorry, but I am there for 24/25/26/27 Jan, but thanks for the offer anyway.
~> I assume plenty of VCC will be there on your nominated dates, though aid might not be their first preference, ... unless pecheur is there then?
Heh, heh, heh.

@ Fish Boy
Thanks, and good to hear from you again.
Cheers,
Idra~>M9
kieranl
13-Jan-2014
7:33:52 PM
On 13/01/2014 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 13/01/2014 kieranl wrote:
>>M9, I trust that you are going to do the original pitches below big grassy
>>and not cheat by staying in Ozy up to that point. I've heard that many
>>parties now avoid the original lower pitches for fear of the giant huntsman
>>(apparently related to Shelob and that one from Harry Potter) that reputedly
>>lurks there :)
>
>Hmm.
>Regarding 'cheating', I am surprised that you do not consider me a traditionalist,
>which dictates that I stay true to the original line.
I do consider you a traditionalist which is why I started the post "I trust...". It was probably more for the benefit of others to emphasise that the routes do separate after pitch 1.

>... Though the exercise is mute, ...
A silent one-day ascent?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Jan-2014
7:46:29 PM
>>... Though the exercise is mute, ...
>A silent one-day ascent?
>
No, a silent multi-day roped-solo.
I am only just now starting to explore the one-day ascent options...
~> It appeals only as a technical exercise, as I much prefer to take my time and appreciate the moments while I am there, so I can't see this current change of trend lasting any significant time for me.
kieranl
13-Jan-2014
8:20:54 PM
>On 13/01/2014 kieranl wrote:
>>>... Though the exercise is mute, ...
>>A silent one-day ascent?
>>
>No, a silent multi-day roped-solo.
>I am only just now starting to explore the one-day ascent options...
>~> It appeals only as a technical exercise, as I much prefer to take my
>time and appreciate the moments while I am there, so I can't see this current
>change of trend lasting any significant time for me.
Probably only one day :)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Jan-2014
9:06:10 PM
>>I can't see this current change of trend lasting any significant time for me.
>Probably only one day :)

Touche.

Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 55
There are 55 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints