Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 4 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 71
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Arapiles (General) (General) (General) [ Arapiles Guide | Arapiles Images ] 

Author
weather at Araps
Wendy
19-Jan-2011
12:57:07 PM
given the gramps are closed, i guess we'll be pretty popular around here. I doubt there'll be a problem with the highway by the weekend and you can detour around horsham if necessary. Araps in fine, amazing to have creeks running down Central and Pharos gullies, camp open, road closed, so the further you are prepared to walk down the road, the quieter it will be.

will5686
19-Jan-2011
1:11:01 PM
Yay! That is fantastic news! It will be our first visit to Arapiles so I can imagine Nati will be getting some of our dollars coming when we buy the guidebook.

YAY!!!!!!
kieranl
19-Jan-2011
1:39:54 PM
Just bring repellent and lots of it.

will5686
19-Jan-2011
1:44:22 PM
We covered that base already in preparation for the nonexistent Gramps trip. We're DEETed to the max.
kieranl
20-Jan-2011
6:29:05 PM
If you're coming to Arapiles this weekend be aware that currently all Melbourne-Adelaide traffic is being routed via Natimuk and the Goroke Road. Hopefully this detour won't be for long but if it lasts until the weekend you will strike a lot of traffic.
I suggest taking the Edenhope road between Natimuk and Arapiles to minimise the risk of having a B-double go through you as you turn off to the campground.
And, if you visit Mitre Rock take extra care when you turn into or out of it.
I've just been for a trip out there and there is a lot of traffic. One convoy of 4 B-Doubles.
Wendy
20-Jan-2011
6:54:35 PM
the trucks are awful. heaps of them. glad i'm not on the main st.
Justcameron
20-Jan-2011
9:59:14 PM
Yeah that mitre rock turning just before the crest is awful!

will5686
20-Jan-2011
11:35:33 PM
Duly noted, thanks for the advice.
kieranl
21-Jan-2011
10:38:26 AM
just heard on the radio that the Western Highway is to re-open shortly so traffic loads through Natimuk should be back to normal by this evening.

will5686
21-Jan-2011
1:00:31 PM
On 21/01/2011 kieranl wrote:
>just heard on the radio that the Western Highway is to re-open shortly
>so traffic loads through Natimuk should be back to normal by this evening.

Even better.
kieranl
28-Jan-2011
3:27:16 PM
Here's a couple or routes on the shady side of Mitre to help people through the hot weather. Recently written up in the ACA guide :
http://www.climb.org.au/index.php?page_id=10&action=area&area_id=1059
No topos up yet for Mitre but I'll try and get some up soon.
Jidas 45m 19
A topo of this route was posted on the Arapiles toilet notice-board.
A dramatic link-up from Holy Roller into Youth In Asia (line left of Behemoth. There's a fair bit of lichen and the rock looks suspect in places but could be worth a look.
However, the time for naming the climb after the climbers has long passed.
Start as for Holy Roller or Behemoth
Move up to base of box-chimney and traverse left. Up and through overhang (looks dramatic). Continue up to right side of next major overhang , step left above it and up and back right above final overhang.
FA: Jiri Srutek, Dasa Srutkova - 2010-11-24

Shelf Life 30m 16
OK. Shares the good start of Off The Shelf and takes an easier logical finish just left of the easy corner.
Good rock and protection and now that it's cleaned up a bit and there's been a shower of rain it should be pleasant.
Start as for Off The Shelf (ie 2 metres right of Anything At All).
Climb the corner of Off The Shelf to ledge. Finish up the nice crack just left of the easy corner, bridging back into the corner at one point before it becomes truly independent.
FA: Unknown (probably done years ago as a variant to Off The Shelf)
Traverse left (roped) to Anything At All rap anchor.

Page 4 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 71
There are 71 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints