Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All ACT (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Canberra sogged out (Dec 2010)
grangrump
6-Dec-2010
12:34:45 PM
Access roads to Booroomba and Orroral Ridge are currently closed following heavy rain.
(Beware the dirt roads are also often closed due to snow, fire risk or some other Park excuses)
So going climbing there will involve at best a very long walk.
At least the bitumen road didnt wash away this time.

The tracks into Gibraltar Peak are VERY heavily eroded: problem even for serious 4WD. (Though trail bikes were having fun on and off tracks). So pretty long, steep walk in from Corin Dam Rd or Tidbinbilla Reserve.
These are unlikely to be fixed soon.

Shoalhaven is currently in flood so best route to Tianjara / Nowra / Pt Perp from Canberra also blocked...

Best local crag might be Snake Rock (fairly short walk in: be careful on river crossing [not tried])?
widewetandslippery
6-Dec-2010
12:52:35 PM
I know bugger all about kayaking but in flood is the red rocks to Kambah bit a bit exciting? Can you esky lid any of it?
One Day Hero
6-Dec-2010
1:17:43 PM
I wandered down on saturday to swim across and have a boulder at Red Rocks.............the boulders were under water and swimming across would have been total suicide. Uwhp50, who has given up climbing to be a fairly serious kayaker (and has always been a master of understatement) , described conditions in the smaller tributaries as "rather exciting".........

cruze
6-Dec-2010
1:32:58 PM
On 6/12/2010 widewetandslippery wrote:
>I know bugger all about kayaking but in flood is the red rocks to Kambah
>bit a bit exciting? Can you esky lid any of it?

I was always led to believe that in flood that section was primo quality and hardcore.

I would say Banditos Wall would be better than Snake Rock for access.
Estey
6-Dec-2010
2:23:16 PM
On 6/12/2010 cruze wrote:
>
>I would say Banditos Wall would be better than Snake Rock for access.

Bandito will seeping more than the bidgee at the moment.
grangrump
17-Dec-2010
9:49:00 AM
On 6/12/2010 grangrump wrote:
>At least the bitumen road didnt wash away this time.
sorry, looks like I was sadly misinformed...

ANUMC just posted:
Please be advised that the Apollo Rd has had a washout from the recent heavy rains and is closed. The Namadgi Visitors Centre advise that the road is closed until further notice. It is likely the road will be closed for several months. This means there is no access to all climbing areas off the Apollo Rd including, Booroomba Rocks and Orroral Ridge.
Enquiries can be made to the Namadgi Visitors Centre on 62072900.

Last time this happened, climbers squeezed past on motor bikes. I havent seen any photos this time.

Looks like Orroral Tor may get more popular, if/when Orroral Tracking Station Road reopens (currently closed)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Dec-2010
11:03:21 AM
>Last time this happened, climbers squeezed past (snip)

If you can grangrump, could you please update us (maybe with a photo of the area/s in question?), as to the possibility of solving this problem in similar fashion this time, ... like how it was done last time.
It would be a bummer to travel all that way (from Vic in my case), and be thwarted in the final approach...
;-)
grangrump
17-Dec-2010
12:51:53 PM
yeah, if I get out that way.
not going to happen soon I'm afraid
stewie
21-Dec-2010
10:13:12 AM
I called Namadgi info centre and they are hoping to have the road to Honeysuckle open within the next few days. Apparently the land slip is not as bad as first thought. They confirmed you can get to Booroomba on a push bike....with the usual at your own risk caveats.

The weather is looking until Saturday so some pre Christmas climbing may be on the cards.
Aostaman
27-Dec-2010
12:03:22 PM
The Booroomba road is open, drop me a line if you are interested in getting out

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints