Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 24
Author
WANTED 1967 Guidebook Rock Climbs in the Blue Mtns

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Sep-2015
3:39:16 PM
Thanks for the links gents.

I had seen Bryden's very good, nay, inspirational(!), webpage/s a long time ago, but haven't been back there for yonks...

Jack Pettigrew it is; as one can't get a better source than Bryden (or Jack), for that information; likewise the mikl link to the Rock Climbs Of NSW Guide, as it was compiled by Bryden...

Having said the above, it is still interesting how human error* can creep into such things as guides, even from prolific first ascentionists!!

*Not that Bryden's webpage is a definitive guide, but I noticed on it that his topo of Out And Beyond is incorrect. He has posted three photos showing the 'same overhang', allegedly near the topout for O&B, but it is NOT the same overhang!
His topo line goes up between Caucasus Corner and the much more modern line of Napawi, and O&B is further left at the LH end of the wall forming the corner in the background of his (central) topo photo...

I don't know how many times he has climbed O&B, but I have been up it three times, including adding a direct (worthless and so not written up), start to it. I certainly agree with him that it is an excellent route worth doing, and I am likely to do it again if I get the opportunity.
I still marvel at the cajones of the first ascentionists to push that traverse into the out and beyond given the unknown element of a first ascent with associated difficulties of retreat if it didn't 'go'.
;-)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Sep-2015
4:44:02 PM
Ok. I have now received feedback from Stéphane Pennequin and he advises me of the following;-
"I found the virtual version of the 1967 edition of Rock Climbs in the Blue Mountains on the following link

http://www.sydneyclimbing.com/confluence/download/attachments/5701653/Rockclimbs+in+The+Blue+Mountains+1967+John+Ewbank.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1302233449000

As you can see, the front cover of this original John Ewbank’s guidebook has not been scanned here. It was Jim Graham who told me that each copy of Rock Climbs in the Blue Mountains was unique as it had a Black & White photograph stuck on the front page.
Jim is an active outdoors person from near Sydney. He used be an active rock climber in the sixties. He has retired from working in the outdoor industry, importing and distributing outdoor gear for various companies for almost 30 years. Apart from Jim's comment, I do not have any more information about this “hypothetical” cover photograph"…

&

"in my opinion, this guidebook is no less than the cornerstone of the Australian rock climbing literature.
John mentions here the Crackers, and also adds many further fascinating historical details. Even if it not yet a tribute to the legendary climber, at the moment I just would like to add and treasure here this little book beside other invaluable accounts on John’s outstanding climbing life."

&

"kuu’s post on Chockstone is awesome news and I would love to get one of the two original copies from this generous aficionado…"

Kuu, I will PM you Stéphane's addy, so that you can post him the item direct, and cut out the mediocre middleman...
;-)

nutstory
18-Sep-2015
1:35:51 AM
IdratherbeclimbingM9, thank you for correcting and posting my message on this thread!
The person who supplied the Nuts Museum with invaluable original Australian Ball Races will never be a “mediocre middleman” for me…
kuu, thank you very much for all your interest in my research, as well as for your kindness.

It is moving to see the name and address in Paris of the outstanding climber and inventor Pierre Allain, about the famous PA’s rock boots, on the page 10 in The Rock-Climbs of N.S.W. 1963 guidebook.

kuu
18-Sep-2015
8:29:28 AM
On 17/09/2015 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>
snip
>
>Kuu, I will PM you Stéphane's addy, so that you can post him the item
>direct, and cut out the mediocre middleman...
>
end snip

M9, I'll put the Guide Book in the post on Monday (or Tuesday), thus it should reach Stéphane before the end of the month.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 24
There are 24 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints