ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 15. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 286
Author
Off-topic: Climbers who believe in Jesus
gfdonc
2-Feb-2011
10:04:23 AM
I tend to pray to The Trinity of Barry, Maurice and Robin:
"ha, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive"
"ha, ha, ha, ha, stayin' aliiiivee"
Winston Smith
2-Feb-2011
10:19:10 AM
Wow, carpenter, stonemason, mechanical engineer and stonemaster.
Winston Smith
2-Feb-2011
10:21:00 AM
On 1/02/2011 Duncan wrote:
>There are no atheists in a foxhole.

Except Christopher Hitchens in a Serbian foxhole when he was a war correspondent in Bosnia.
Duncan
2-Feb-2011
10:38:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_no_atheists_in_foxholes

voodoo
2-Feb-2011
10:53:40 AM
On 1/02/2011 Duncan wrote:
>There are no atheists in a foxhole.

Watching Touching the Void, Joe Simpson notes that throughout the harrowing experience not once did the idea of calling out to a god enter into his mind. Looking back on it he views it as final confirmation that, despite an enforced childhood catholic upbringing which he later grew out of, he really doesn't believe there's a creator out there.

...unless of course Boney M is our master...
Paul
2-Feb-2011
10:56:03 AM
On 2/02/2011 Winston Smith wrote:
>On 2/02/2011 widewetandslippery wrote:
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI
>
>HE is multi-talented. Not just a carpenter.

I am not a religious person but I had someone who was a carpenter looking down from above guiding me then my bouldering wall would have probably turned out better.
Winston Smith
2-Feb-2011
10:57:08 AM
On 2/02/2011 Duncan wrote:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_no_atheists_in_foxholes

Recommended reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_is_not_Great

Duncan
2-Feb-2011
11:08:22 AM
"Though the term is occasionally used to incorrectly imply that all soldiers in combat are "converted" while under fire it is most commonly only used to emphasise the belief of the sayer that many people tend to seek out a divine power when they are facing an extreme threat."

I like a Touching the Void reference, I didn't know that.
Winston Smith
2-Feb-2011
11:25:20 AM
On 2/02/2011 Duncan wrote:
>"Though the term is occasionally used to incorrectly imply that all soldiers
>in combat are "converted" while under fire it is most commonly only used
>to emphasise the belief of the sayer that many people tend to seek out
>a divine power when they are facing an extreme threat."

Yeah like many of these things it's often more about the speaker than the person they're speaking about.

Sign on a dyslexic's gate: Beware of the god.

Andrew_M
2-Feb-2011
12:19:02 PM
On 2/02/2011 Winston Smith wrote:

>Sign on a dyslexic's gate: Beware of the god.

Then there was the dyslexic agnostic who didn't know whether there was a dog.

Boom tish.

hangdog
2-Feb-2011
12:23:14 PM

>Sign on a dyslexic's gate: Beware of the god.

Good news - Dyslexia for cure found
>
>
>
earwig
2-Feb-2011
12:23:21 PM
On 2/02/2011 voodoo wrote:
>
>Watching Touching the Void, Joe Simpson notes that throughout the harrowing
>experience not once did the idea of calling out to a god enter into his
>mind. Looking back on it he views it as final confirmation that, despite
>an enforced childhood catholic upbringing which he later grew out of, he
>really doesn't believe there's a creator out there.
>
>...unless of course Boney M is our master...

... or confirms the existence of Satan. I mean, to have Boney M looping through your brain in that (or any other) situation has to be the work of the devil.

(staying alive, staying alive ah ah ah - damm - who put that into my head)

Gavo
2-Feb-2011
7:54:46 PM
all the believers should pray for the people of queensland.

Then He might be more lenient on them... because of the prayer
Duncan
2-Feb-2011
8:16:17 PM

Gavo
2-Feb-2011
8:43:30 PM
Brilliant

shortman
2-Feb-2011
9:29:20 PM
Since this topic is kinda drifting-

Try being dislexyc and learning to tie knots....took me 3 weeks to get the hang of a granny knot....don't even ask how long a figure of 8 took.....should have seen the look on my climbing partners face last week when she was showin me how to belay from the top for the first time.... and i told her i was dyslexic and sometimes get things back to front...she looked genuinly scared....had to laugh to myself though.....i wouldnt climb with me....

anyone keen for an outing on the weekend?

salty crag
2-Feb-2011
9:30:18 PM
If ODH is now the messiah and the one we turn to in times of dire need could he (or others) enlighten we mere bumbly's with a new set of commandments.

ajfclark
2-Feb-2011
9:41:44 PM
Given the tone of his writing recently, I think one would be "harden the f--- up"...
simey
2-Feb-2011
10:10:54 PM
On 2/02/2011 salty crag wrote:
>If ODH is now the messiah and the one we turn to in times of dire need could he (or others) enlighten we mere bumbly's with a new set of commandments.

I agree. The Ten Climbing Commandments according to ODH (One Day Hero) would surely point the bumbling masses in the right direction.

But who should receive them? I nominate Blake whilst he stands at the top of the Gorge at Mt Buffalo contemplating Ozymandias.

PS. I think adultery still needs a mention somewhere in The Climbing Commandments.

Winston Smith
2-Feb-2011
10:31:39 PM
This is classic.

Ross at Rock posted this on the Rock Facebook page recently.

(I for one am happy to have evolved from shit - it makes much more sense than believing in shit.)

"Rock Magazine
We recently received the following letter to an editorial I wrote in issue 84 of Rock (you can read the editorial here: http://www.rock.com.au/feature/article/the-story-behind-the-name/). Ignoring the obvious errors about what magazine the editorial was in..

'To the Editor Climb Magazine,
I have just wasted $8.95 on a magazine I thought was going to be a high class climbing publication similar to Mountain - wrong ! - just halfway through your editorial you make an infantile comment on a route name reviling the character of Christ which you seem to think hilarious.
Why is it that Macho, Bully Boy Australian males are incapable of understanding the love of a Father for his sons, whilst they quite readily accept the kissing, hugging , 'bonding' and the poking of fingers up each others anus by footy players? A psychcoanalyst would have a field day here.

If you consider yourself such a comedian Mr Taylor, I challenge you, nay, I dare you to write a similar 'witty' but insulting comment about Mohammed and see what response that brings you. (think long and hard before you rush into that one friend).

Should any atheist reading this, who believe themselves to be self generated and evolved from their own faeces, decide to respond - you are wasting your time - I will not be reading another copy of Climb magazine.

Name withheld
Brisbane Christian
Rockclimber for over 55 years and pig sick of the crudity in Australian climb naming."

Page 2 of 15. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 286
There are 286 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints