14-Apr-2010
3:00:48 PM
On 14/04/2010 pmonks wrote:
>Ditto! Did you see the episode where he was floating about on a raft
>and his only water was collected from a bird-sh1t encrusted pool of rainwater
>from the side of a sea stack? After explaining that there was no way you
>could safely drink the water, he proceeded to "ingest" it via a home made
>enema!!

I did not see this, but I feel that I must! :)

wallwombat
14-Apr-2010
3:15:57 PM
On 14/04/2010 One Day Hero wrote:
>Hey, I've had a competing omlette theory suggested to me. Apparently it
>"kicks arse on wombat method"........which would be a bit surprising cause
>my 'school of wombat' effort turned out pretty damn good. Anyway, I'll
>let you know

Sounds interesting. Always open to new ways of doing stuff. Although, if the competing theory involves a grill or some flash Danoz Direct omelette pan, it's cheating.

Glad the 'wombat method' worked alright.

wallwombat
14-Apr-2010
3:24:50 PM
And if it can't be replicated on a MSR it's not Viable Omelette Theory (VOT).
One Day Hero
14-Apr-2010
3:58:13 PM
Yeah, was "bang it under the grill to save the flip"

I can see how this would offend your trad cooking ethics, am just cross that I couldn't think of it myself

evanbb
14-Apr-2010
4:33:29 PM
>Yeah, was "bang it under the grill to save the flip"
>
>I can see how this would offend your trad cooking ethics, am just cross
>that I couldn't think of it myself

We need a cooking tips thread. We're slightly OT here....

I've been finishing my omelettes in the oven recently, partly because I've got a kick arse copper frypan. Same theory, but definitely not trad.

ajfclark
14-Apr-2010
4:49:24 PM
On 14/04/2010 evanbb wrote:
>We need a cooking tips thread. We're slightly OT here....

Would this thread do?
chrisireland
14-Apr-2010
7:41:09 PM
Hmmm. Right.

I'll take that as a "no" then!

BoulderBaby
15-Apr-2010
8:07:11 AM
I think the project is truely amazing. So many people whinge here that it the 'Leo Houlding' Show - Regardless, It's a something that is so impressive, and not many people have done anything like it, nor film it!

I think your best bet (if this is not already mentioned) is to order it online from overseas. The Aus dollar is awesome right now, and the film retails at 20pounds.
chrisireland
15-Apr-2010
8:19:04 AM
Yep, you're right. It's on its way!
Wendy
15-Apr-2010
9:08:26 AM
Did anyone else notice the "climb mt asgard game"?

MonkeyBoy
15-Apr-2010
9:11:20 AM

>"To reach Mount Asgard top climbers Leo Houlding, Sean 'Stanley' Leary
>and Carlos Suarez sky dive into the heart of Baffin Island, in the Arctic
>Circle, whilst the film and rigging crew take on the gruelling 5 day trek
>carrying 30kg packs." There's no mention and no vision of gear being air-dropped
>in with the skydiving super stars. It certainly sounds like Leo and friends
>just jumped in while the crew carried their shit in for them. That's what
>people are taking exception to.
>

If you check out the photos on the site below it shows them prepping and dropping loads of gear - I dont know why they didnt all just Jump in - From some of the pics the 5 day trek in looked amazing and while sky diving would have been fun I am not sure which I would prefer to do.

Well apart form the 2 guys that had to turn back half way to pick up 2 extra prta ledge's as 2 were broken in the air drop - Can you imagine that call on the sat phone....

http://share.ovi.com/users/Berghaus

Wendy
15-Apr-2010
9:16:28 AM
Having abandoned the game as of limiting mental stimulation, I finally watched the trailer. They do call themselves poser producitons, so they're being honest about it! The area looks stunning and I'd almost watch it just for the scenary. I also like the fact that they aren't using the eye of the tiger style distorted guitar based music which seems to inflict way too many climbing movies.

nmonteith
15-Apr-2010
10:09:37 AM
On 15/04/2010 MonkeyBoy wrote:
>If you check out the photos on the site below it shows them prepping and
>dropping loads of gear -

Holy calamity! This really is all very unnecessary. The walk in isn't too bad, 4 to 5 days if you walk all the way from town, or at most 3 if you get a lift on a skidoo up the frozen fjord (or a boat when it thaws out) - how much crap do you need to free a rock route?? And I wonder how they got all those barrels back out again?

gordoste
15-Apr-2010
11:33:59 AM
On 14/04/2010 Duncan wrote:
>>Maybe tall poppy syndrome is too harsh, but I can definitely smell reverse
>>elitism.
>
>What does that even mean?

From "anti-elitism" section in "Elitism" entry on Wikipedia:

The term elitism or the title elitist are sometimes used resentfully by people who are (or claim to be) not a member of an elite. In politics, the terms are often used to describe people as out of touch with the Average Joe. The implication is that the alleged elitist person or group thinks they are better than everyone else, and therefore put themselves before others. It could be seen as a synonym for snob. An elitist is not always seen as truly elite, but only privileged. This use is often used in politics in societies where social equality is valued and the middle and lower classes have political power.

gordoste
15-Apr-2010
11:52:07 AM
>Bullshit! It's no different to Bear Grills getting up to ridiculously
>contrived skydiving and piss drinking. They are stunts made for T.V. which
>are completely unrelated to the task at hand........actually, old Bear
>has taken it so far down this path that there is no discernable task at
>hand, just one stunt after the next.
>
>Now, this does't make it bad viewing. I quite like watching Bear drink
>his own piss, and I might like watching stunts based around climbing on
>baffin

Yes it is different because Bear Grylls is dishonest about what he's doing. He always talks about the "loneliness being the greatest danger" and "having no way out" but he has a full camera crew with him! Leo Houlding and co. are being totally honest about the way they went about things.

> ......just don't confuse it with actual climbing!

Actually the skydiving takes up a very small portion of the movie... the "actual climbing" takes up the vast majority of it. Their "actual climbing" is something pretty close to cutting edge too.
One Day Hero
15-Apr-2010
12:01:22 PM
On 15/04/2010 gordoste wrote:
>
>Actually the skydiving takes up a very small portion of the movie... the
>"actual climbing" takes up the vast majority of it. Their "actual climbing"
>is something pretty close to cutting edge too.

How would you possibly know that? Because you saw footage of it? Because the filmmakers described how extreme it all was?

Use your friggin' head mate! Was the primary goal here to climb something or to make a movie and some money? Now, I would guess that these guys were somewhere in the middle but it will get to the point where climbing films will be at the Bear Grills end of the continuum. Don't believe everything you see!

evanbb
15-Apr-2010
12:14:37 PM
On 15/04/2010 One Day Hero wrote:
>How would you possibly know that? Because you saw footage of it? Because
>the filmmakers described how extreme it all was?
>
>Use your friggin' head mate! Was the primary goal here to climb something
>or to make a movie and some money? Now, I would guess that these guys were
>somewhere in the middle but it will get to the point where climbing films
>will be at the Bear Grills end of the continuum. Don't believe everything
>you see!

It can be a fine distinction to draw ODH. For guys like Sharma, Houlding, and the guy with the big nose who's dating Steph Davis, the line between shameless self-promotion and the desire to climd can be hard to distinguish. The self promotion is an enabler to climbing; how can you separate the 2? If you're going to be a professional climber, you need to choose to do things that other people want to pay you to do.

I agree that I would rather see the pure adventure of it all, but they remain business people.
chrisireland
15-Apr-2010
12:17:22 PM
Using my friggin' head, I would guess that professional climbers primary goals would be to climb something and get paid for it. Nice job if you're good enough. Hopefully the end product is entertaining to a wide audience. I'm certainly prepared to part with a few bucks for something with decent direction and production values. And I don't really care who humped what.

gordoste
15-Apr-2010
2:19:41 PM
On 15/04/2010 One Day Hero wrote:
>it will get to the point where climbing films will be at the Bear Grills end of the continuum.

No that will only happen when Discovery channel decide to make a climbing film. Which climbers will all agree is crap and go back to watching Dosage 9.

nmonteith
15-Apr-2010
3:01:44 PM
On 15/04/2010 gordoste wrote:
>No that will only happen when Discovery channel decide to make a climbing
>film. Which climbers will all agree is crap and go back to watching Dosage
>9.

It's a fine line. They have now started playing some of the Dosage videos on free to air TV (One on the digital dial) - so they already have 'mainstream' appeal it seems.

Page 2 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80
There are 80 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints