Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60
Author
Anyone impaled themselves on a nut tool?
Winston Smith
27-Aug-2009
10:38:55 AM
Facts, pah! This is Chockablockstone.

Here's more Internet "truth": http://aboutsnopes.blogspot.com/

Eduardo Slabofvic
27-Aug-2009
11:30:46 AM
On 27/08/2009 audtracol wrote:
>maybe you should wear pants when you climb

That's a very good idea. I might even find someone willing to belay me.

peterc
27-Aug-2009
3:00:31 PM
Only little bruises every now and then. Usually while chimneying.

But Mikl, didn't you give one to big kev a few years back that he snagged on some rock when he slipped, saving him from a massive plummet in the Dolomites? (Or was that story wildly exaggerated???)

ajfclark
27-Aug-2009
3:06:01 PM
On 27/08/2009 peterc wrote:
>But Mikl, didn't you give one to big kev a few years back that he snagged on some rock when he slipped, saving him from a massive plummet in the Dolomites? (Or was that story wildly exaggerated???)

This has got me thinking, besides saving themselves from massive plummets, nut tool hooking, opening beers, spreading peanut butter or as eating utensils in general what else do people use nut tools for beyond their intended purpose?

Guniea Sauras Rex
27-Aug-2009
3:39:13 PM
I had a guy once tell me not to use a carabiner to clip my chalkbag to my harness as it could break my back were I to fall on it.

hmmmm.

He was cagey as to what would happen if I clipped my full trad rack to my harness. Wouldn't answer my question (imagine that!)

Anyone know of such an injury?

ajfclark
27-Aug-2009
3:50:21 PM
I remember seeing a carabiner shaped bruise somewhere but I can't think where it was...
Wendy
27-Aug-2009
5:13:50 PM
On 27/08/2009 ajfclark wrote:
>
>This has got me thinking, besides saving themselves from massive plummets,
>nut tool hooking, opening beers, spreading peanut butter or as eating
>utensils in general what else do people use nut tools for beyond their
>intended purpose?
>
>
Emergency ice axe. Emergency tin opener. The tin opener (for chocolate self saucing pudding) felt like the greater emergency. Actually, I must be crap at remembering tin openers, because I've also opened tins with ice axes.

I have a screwdriver attached to my nut key and I swear it's a far better tool for removing nuts but I climb with the odd person who expresses concern about impaling themselves on it. Still, it'd have to be a fair effort to fall in a way likely to impale oneself seconding ...

Sarah Gara
27-Aug-2009
5:18:55 PM
On 27/08/2009 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>I am still waiting for the part of the recent TR that describes the rescue
>of egosan from a tree imbedment.
>~> or at least an entry to the accidents and injuries section of Forum?

Mattj mentioned it in accidents. I got an email from egosan about it...he's not a happy bunny so you might get more of a rant that a TR. Would be stylish to read though... Andrew and I saw a trail of blood over some rocks on the way to the organ pipes. x

peterc
27-Aug-2009
6:01:55 PM
Guinea, about ten years ago I saw a guy crack his coccyx when he was attempting a sit start to a climb in a gym. He had his chalkbag attached to the haul loop of his harness with a carabiner. He pulled his butt off the wooden floor and then fell backwards and screamed. No one knew what was wrong, because it all seemed so innocuous. But the carabiner came between the floor and his coccyx and the impact was enough to fracture the bone. He was stretchered out of the gym. These days most gyms have some padding on the floor which would soften the blow, but it could still be uncomfortable. Since then I have always used cord for my chalkbag, which is also handy in emergencies (back up prussik etc).
simey
27-Aug-2009
8:29:05 PM
On 27/08/2009 audtracol wrote:
>maybe you should wear pants when you climb

Thanks for the tip.
egosan
28-Aug-2009
12:17:05 AM
The hole in my hand is healing nicely. I will have to defer posting about my tale of
impalement for the time being. I will share as soon as I am able.

pmonks
28-Aug-2009
5:14:00 AM
On 27/08/2009 Guniea Sauras Rex wrote:
>I had a guy once tell me not to use a carabiner to clip my chalkbag to
>my harness as it could break my back were I to fall on it.

Sound advice, although I'm not sure if breaking your back is all that likely.

>Anyone know of such an injury?

I know of an injury serious enough that I wouldn't do it.

Back in 1998 or so there was a guy (whose name I forget) in the SRC (bumbly / beard stroker comments > /dev/null) who was playing around on the bottom of a climb at St Leonards gym and stumbled backward landing on his back on the (somewhat padded) floor. Unfortunately he landed on the carabiner holding his chalk bag and fractured his tailbone, resulting in about 6 months of fairly constant pain, no climbing and no way to comfortably sit down.

[edit] Sounds like the same incident peterc reported above.
BUZZ
28-Aug-2009
2:09:07 PM
On 27/08/2009 Guniea Sauras Rex wrote:
>I had a guy once tell me not to use a carabiner to clip my chalkbag to
>my harness as it could break my back were I to fall on it.

>Anyone know of such an injury?

I shattered couple of vertebrae climbing and at the time was utilising a biner to attach my chalk bag!! But don't think it had f--- all to do with the biner or the rack, more so slamming into the ground from great height!

If it was going to break your spine it would most likely be your coccyx, which hurts but is not that much of a drama. If you’re really stressed rectify it with some cord.

Also fractured my neck couple places right were lip of helmet sits, but personally I would rather fracture my neck than end up with brain injury. Each to their own though!

peterc
28-Aug-2009
10:39:05 PM
On 28/08/2009 pmonks wrote:
>
>[edit] Sounds like the same incident peterc reported above.

Peter, it does sound similar - and it happened around the same time, but the accident I saw was at the old Sydney Indoor gym at Summer Hill/Ashfield.

I guess it isn't that uncommon an accident then...

muki
28-Aug-2009
10:58:19 PM
I've seen a similar accident involving a biner on the back of a harness to attach a chalk bag, bad idea!

pmonks
29-Aug-2009
3:23:16 AM
On 28/08/2009 peterc wrote:
>Peter, it does sound similar - and it happened around the same time, but
>the accident I saw was at the old Sydney Indoor gym at Summer Hill/Ashfield.

Probably just my senile dementia playing up again.
stonetroll
29-Aug-2009
8:36:56 AM
I vaguely recall reading in the Townsville Climbing Guide about some guy that fell on lead and got clipped through his archilles tendon by a 'binner attached to on an anchor and was hanging there like pork at the butcher.

wallwombat
29-Aug-2009
10:05:16 AM
On 27/08/2009 ajfclark wrote:
>I remember seeing a carabiner shaped bruise somewhere but I can't think
>where it was...

Lee Cossey's thigh. Yosemite. Rock Magazine.

(Post edit: it was actually Ben Cossey's thigh.)

ajfclark
29-Aug-2009
10:13:49 AM
Cheers, that's probably the one. I was thinking it was Lee and went digging through the blog trying to find it.
kieranl
30-Aug-2009
4:59:13 PM
Have seen a nut tool do serious injury to a hand. Person lost balance walking about, put out a hand to stabilise themselves, nut tool hook through webbing between thumb and fingers.

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60
There are 60 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints