Author
China to build highway on Mount Everest

billk
22-Jun-2007
2:49:08 PM
On 22/06/2007 GravityHound wrote:
>chinese f%^king idiots!

I will make a wee distinction, that a Chinese friend impressed upon me:

Chinese government/ ruling class f%^king idiots. The bulk of the Chinese people are also victims of their idiotic policies.

Unfortunately, the bulk of Chinese people seem to have zero interest in the plight of the Tibetans.

Phil S
22-Jun-2007
2:59:36 PM
>...it could be the first torch to be lost...

...amid howls of self-congratulatory laughter???

Pull your head in GravityHound! We (Australians) are in no position to judge the human rights records of other countries. How many exersises in nation-building are acceptable to all parties? It's not OK, but in the absence of constructive action... PIPE DOWN!
Onsight
22-Jun-2007
4:15:44 PM
>...even if it does
>go ahead it could be the first torch to be lost - think of the many ways
>things could go belly up taking a torch to the top of everest and back....

Yeah, but just think how impressive it'll be if they pull it off!

(tongue firmly in cheek).
psd
22-Jun-2007
4:39:20 PM
On 22/06/2007 Onsight wrote:
>
>Yeah, but just think how impressive it'll be if they pull it off!
>
Will the torch get its own oxygen mask?
JohnK
22-Jun-2007
5:18:01 PM
On 22/06/2007 psd wrote:
>On 22/06/2007 Onsight wrote:
>>
>>Yeah, but just think how impressive it'll be if they pull it off!
>>
>Will the torch get its own oxygen mask?

That's actually a really good question.

How do you keep a naked flame going at nearly 9,000 meters??!!!

There must be someone working on some real techo stuff to do that.

Just hope that in trying to get this thing to the summit no one dies or hurts themselves as it would be terrible. I can see it now...."....torch reaches summit but climber loses toes to frostbite..." Hope they don't take risks to do this.

Garrath
22-Jun-2007
5:30:28 PM
wait for it......I kid you not.....

CHINA has not ruled out building a hotel at Mount Everest base camp, a Tibetan official said overnight, two days after work began on a paved road that will go half way up the world's tallest mountain.

psd
22-Jun-2007
5:40:43 PM
On 22/06/2007 JohnK wrote:

>How do you keep a naked flame going at nearly 9,000 meters??!!!

Yes I was semi-serious it's gonna burn a hell of a lot of oxygen and for that matter what (other) gas/fuel is gonna burn well that high? Can't believe it would actually be practical/possible to do this ...

M10iswhereitsat.
22-Jun-2007
6:04:44 PM

Jon Muir smoked a cigerette on the summit of Everest --- that's worse than sealing the road.

He's such a bloody disrespectfool pr#ck !!!

And then he's got the cheek to ask me to water his trees while he's away in the friggin' desert !?!

Chuck Norris
22-Jun-2007
7:03:22 PM
On 22/06/2007 Onsight wrote:
>Yeah, but just think how impressive it'll be if they pull it off!

why the if? they'll do it alright..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6692853.stm

Chuck Norris
22-Jun-2007
7:09:57 PM
On 22/06/2007 M10iswhereitsat. wrote:
>
>He's such a bloody disrespectfool pr#ck !!!
>
depends which side he threw the butt when he finished....

china...they deserved it the bastards
nepal...its dirty anyway so who cares
tibet....bloody disrespectful prick
userfriendly
22-Jun-2007
7:43:23 PM
chinese f%^king idiots! lets destroy tibetan culture, oppress our own people, kill our own people, kill one of the biggest rivers on the planet, pave a highway through the wilderness.....the list goes on. even if it does go ahead it could be the first torch to be lost - think of the many ways things could go belly up taking a torch to the top of everest and back....

I don't think it is going right to the top.. just to the base camp is what it said in the hearld.. but still f*#king chinese idiots..

GravityHound
23-Jun-2007
9:11:57 AM
billk - yeah, guilty as charged for being generalist! unfortunately though, some chinese love and are very proud of their country and any history. i work closely with a tibetan phd student and there are several chinese phd students on campus also. not a pretty situation. there have been a few barely-veiled threats, in public, an open forum, to the tibetan lady 'incase' she decides to say something about china and tibet.

phil - by no means am i implying china is the only country with pretty shocking human rights (or environmental problems etc.), yep, we can be quite atrocious ourselves, but they are the focus of this particular topic. and unfortunately, the constructive action we can take is minimal. i spent a month in beijing with other researchers and was appalled by how little scientific knowledge from the rest of the world they are allowed to access. i tried to post, email and provide web access for some of them to gain access to pretty rudimentary non-political (agricultural!) scientific commentary. nothing ever made it through. no matter how much action we try, we will always be stopped by the chinese government (or our government so we dont stuff up trade relations with china?).

billk
23-Jun-2007
2:24:25 PM
On 23/06/2007 GravityHound wrote:
>billk - yeah, guilty as charged for being generalist! unfortunately though,
>some chinese love and are very proud of their country and any history.
>i work closely with a tibetan phd student and there are several chinese
>phd students on campus also. not a pretty situation. there have been a
>few barely-veiled threats, in public, an open forum, to the tibetan lady
>'incase' she decides to say something about china and tibet.

Sorry to hear that Gravity Hound. Yeah, I've heard that when you push their nationalism button a lot of Chinese people will fall right into line behind their leaders and will readily buy the "Tibet has always rightfully been part of China" line.

Regards to your Tibetan friend for the dignity with which the Tibetan people have endured all of this.
patto
25-Jun-2007
10:10:50 AM
Propaganda is alive and well in China. I've spoken to an Australian born and bred chinese girl who has been brought up by her parents with chinese satelite television. It was scary to hear her views on tibet. When I showed her the video of the tibetans pilgrims being shot it was all blame tibetans.

The strong culture of respect and obediance of you elders and family in china can make a cohesive society. However discourages questioning of ideas which helps the brainwash the population.

gremlin
25-Jun-2007
11:17:51 AM
In theory communism works... in theory!

MrKyle
25-Jun-2007
12:01:41 PM
The trip I did through Tibet recently was a highlight of my life.
However, what the Chinese have done, and are doing, to Tibet is tragic on an epic scale. It made me furious.

China is an amazing place with astounding culture and history, but we can't ignore that it is also a harsh place of ignorance, corruption and extreme governmental control. What the Chinese did to themselves during the Cultural Revolution is beyond belief.

The Olympics is massively important to China. It is/was probably one of the few chances the world had to exert political pressure on China. I sincerely hope for mass protests and boycotts to send a message directly to the people and government.

for fox sake
25-Jun-2007
12:04:04 PM
I heard a few years ago that the Japs were going to build a pressurised hotel on the Nepalese side, so the japs can fly straight to Lukla, get up there before Alt sickness kicks in and view the show! May have been a load of bollocks but i wouldn't put it past them!

M10iswhereitsat.
25-Jun-2007
12:59:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tibet Official Lauds Everest Road

By ANITA CHANG
The Associated Press
Wednesday, June 20, 2007; 7:28 PM

BEIJING -- A top Tibetan official said Wednesday a planned highway to a base camp on Mount Everest would make the site more accessible to tourists and that although there were no plans to build a hotel along the route, he would not rule out such an idea.

The $20 million blacktop road is aimed at easing the Olympic torch's journey, which will be carried to the peak of the world's tallest mountain next year. The road will replace the current 67-mile rough path from the foot of the mountain to a base camp at 17,060 feet.

Xiangba Pingcuo, chairman of China's Tibet Autonomous Region, said the road was being built in order to "facilitate visitors" but there were no specific plans for construction of any other facilities.

"Because of the high elevation ... it is impossible to build any hotels there because for ordinary people it will be extremely difficult for them to spend the night," he said.

However, he said he would "not completely rule out the possibility of building hotels in the future."

Organizers for the Beijing Summer Olympics announced in April ambitious plans for the longest torch relay in Olympic history _ an 85,000-mile, 130-day route that would cross five continents and reach the 29,035-foot summit of Everest.

Taking the Olympic torch to the top of the mountain is seen by some as a way for Beijing to underscore its claims to Tibet.

China says it has ruled Tibet for centuries, although many Tibetans say their homeland was essentially an independent state for most of that time. Chinese communist troops occupied Tibet in 1951, and Beijing continues to rule the region with a heavy hand.

Some activists have expressed concern about the road's environmental impact on the region, where global warming is causing glacial retreat. But Pingcuo said protecting the fragile ecosystem was a "top priority" for Tibetan officials.

"It is extremely difficult to resume (the ecosystem) once it has been disrupted," he said.

The official Xinhua News Agency has reported that construction of the road would start next week and take about four months to complete.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(is it ? ) important to understand that if the '@@##$$%^' Chinese hadn't ' tied-down ' 1 million japanese troops in the provinces of China, during the second world war, then the Japs Army would easily have over-run both India & Australia , causing much grief ( and probably the ethnic clensing of all the aboriginals ) , before the yanks had 1/2 a chance to counter attack ...

GO THE ' PIES !!!!
:-)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
26-Jun-2007
11:17:12 AM
On 22/06/2007 psd wrote:
>On 22/06/2007 JohnK wrote:
>
>>How do you keep a naked flame going at nearly 9,000 meters??!!!
>
>Yes I was semi-serious it's gonna burn a hell of a lot of oxygen and for
>that matter what (other) gas/fuel is gonna burn well that high? Can't believe
>it would actually be practical/possible to do this ...
During the Sydney Olympics the torch did a stint underwater on the Great Barrier Reef.
I don't know how they did it; ... magnesium fed by oxygen cannister perhaps?

I would like to see them fail in this torch thing myself, as a small bit of karma for what they are doing to Tibetian culture.

MrKyle
26-Jun-2007
11:55:08 AM
I'm not sure I want the Chinese to fail at anything. In fact I hope they make a brilliant show of it.

It's the strong message of condemnation from the citizens of the world that's important.

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 43
There are 43 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints