Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Cold Days Climbing - What to wear ?

..::- Chris -::..
8-Jun-2007
12:18:36 PM
Just interested on what people wear on those 12-14 degree days at the crag where the wind is chilling and the sun isn't warming (i.e This weekend !!)

Comfort vs Warmth vs Manoeuvrability?

I always tend to find i'm either too rugged up on the climb so getting too hot or can't move freely enough due to too many thick clothes.... is a problem ....... or the flip side i'm just too damm cold to move....

Also do people find wearing gloves until 2 seconds before you touch rock is a good idea ?

Chris.

cruze
8-Jun-2007
12:23:59 PM
Depends on where you are and what you are doing of course, but if you are in the Blueys then singlet/barechest and puffy jacket is the norm unless it is below, say, -10C then you may wish to invest in a T-shirt. That way you can derobe pre-send. Wouldn't want to pose while belaying now would we?

(above applies to Nowra as well, although for some reason they have worked out down there that you can still climb sports routes in summer without dragging the puffy to the crag)

steph
8-Jun-2007
12:33:17 PM
I have a couple of long-sleeve breathable tops that keep the wind out (relatively) but don't keep too much heat in. In icy winds though you just have to accept that you'll be climbing less crimpy climbs cos you can't feel your fingertips.

Alternatively pack a porta-spa and have a quick jacouzi at the base :D

Eduardo Slabofvic
8-Jun-2007
12:48:41 PM
Most clothing brands are bringing out slighly streachy/soft shell/wind shells. I got some when I was in
Italy last time. they are fantastic. I climb and ski in this gear
Goodvibes
8-Jun-2007
12:53:02 PM
I find that it mainly just depends on what shoes I will be climbing in and maybe the colour of the rope, crash pad etc. Whatever matches and looks cool, thats all that counts for me.
stuart h
8-Jun-2007
1:08:36 PM
I find cutting out windchill the most important factor in the trade off between warmth and movement. Cold weather climbing, skiing and alpine climbing I wear pants made of Schoeller (Dryskin etc) or some similar fabric (windproof, light, stretchy, sheds snow) and I often use an ultra-light windproof shirt. I got mine from MEC - the closest thing they have at the moment is called the Dervish or something similar. Macpac use to make a great pullover with a half length zip and a mix of windstopper and lightweight fleece panels that I use when it is not quite so unpleasant (most of the time). I wish they would make these again - the holes worn in mine undermine the windproofing.

HM33
8-Jun-2007
1:24:45 PM
if its really cold i go for a thermal and t shirt to climb with a Mont puffy and beanie for belaying.

if its not totally freezing i go for a t shirt for climbing and this crazy hoodie for warmth:

DaCrux
8-Jun-2007
1:29:21 PM
I normally wear thermals, t-shirt, and a wind-stopper vest (and jacket), that way if I get too hot (hasn’t happened yet) I can take the jacket/thermals off and put them in my bulletbag. I always bring my gloves & beanie – especially when belaying slow climbers. It’s a good idea to bring something warm in any case as you can end up with hypothermia even on a reasonably warm day – if you happen to have an epic and get benighted.

..::- Chris -::..
8-Jun-2007
2:08:08 PM
Thanks for the replies people...... Hope everyone has a great weekend and remember to keep warm !! ; )

C. :-

tnd
8-Jun-2007
2:32:44 PM
On 8/06/2007 shawkshaw wrote:
>if its not totally freezing i go for a t shirt for climbing and this crazy
>hoodie for warmth:

Jeez Steve, do you hold up servos in your spare time?

HM33
8-Jun-2007
2:43:00 PM
On 8/06/2007 tnd wrote:
>
>Jeez Steve, do you hold up servos in your spare time?
>

nah just rob trad climbers. :)

its very toasty and warm though for a non fleecy.
gfdonc
8-Jun-2007
2:55:33 PM
I bought a soft-shell after sitting miserably on the Bluffs last June in a cold wind.
The windproof shell is great and the thin liner doesn't get in the way or restrict movement too much. You can unzip to shed warmth when you need to.

I've climbed/led while wearing the jacket. The short cut means it doesn't get in the way too much while climbing. I've also carried it rolled up and clipped to my harness.

In lesser conditions a mid-layer is less restrictive and lighter. The soft shell also doesn't have enough insulation in itself for sitting around, say compared to 'puffer' jackets.
hipster
8-Jun-2007
3:28:06 PM
Trev's Bargain Emporium in Horsham, surely one of the best places to shop, were selling Ugg Boots, knee high, for $17.95 a month ago. Great value, warm, a good sole on them, the perfect winter cragging apparel. Like me you may cop a bit of flack, but those "plates of meat" will be toasty!!
Take!
8-Jun-2007
6:50:46 PM
Keep your head and neck as warm as possible. That way your body will 'allow' your extremities to share in the warmth.
A big f-off beanie and neck warmer will usually do the job. Then the usual thermal layering for the rest of the body.

On a lightly snowing (yes snow, dumb huh?) Mt Boyce day I found that chewing a small hole in the cuff of my thermals let me pull them over my wrist and poke my thumb through the hole. This kept my hands a bit warmer and didn't really impede climbing as only my wrist and the heal of my hand was covered.

(Correct food and water intake will keep ya warm too but that's another subject).

Good luck

for fox sake
8-Jun-2007
8:14:52 PM
I wear a micro-fibre fleece, it's basically a really thin fleece pullover, keeps you warm without overheating
rod
8-Jun-2007
9:28:03 PM
I'm with Eduardo: Mello's have a good number that I picked up recently on sale for A$150 down from over A$500, the wasteband goes fantastic with a harness, removable arms for the leads, thumb pockets such that you can keep the hands warm when belaying, black on the back to make the most of the sun's heat, moves really well with the body whilst actually climbing and like Eduardo says they're fantastic for spring skiing as well. They're rare as hens teeth here but if you find 'em in Oz I thoroughly recommend them.

wallwombat
11-Jun-2007
3:15:10 PM
I generally wear this but it makes climbing in national parks a bit risky.

climberman
11-Jun-2007
9:24:54 PM
wombles do you wear your spencer on underneath when it's cold like your granny used to say ?
tastybigmac
11-Jun-2007
10:57:34 PM
i wear clothes when i get cold.

JJ
12-Jun-2007
9:32:58 AM
Maybe you could just give your Mum a call.

There are 20 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints