Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 85
Author
Common Courtesy at Indoor Gyms
audtracol
30-Apr-2006
7:31:30 PM
I'm aware that this topic has probably been done to death but what is with people at indoor gyms, particularly on busy Melbourne Friday nights. Number 1. Female finished with a climb and others lined up for the climb decides to stand, still tied in and discuss the climb with her "P" for 5 minutes before clearing the rope. Number 2. Male tied in as belayer with mobile phone to ear and his "P" tied in waiting to climb, we waited 5 mins then thought #@%# it and pushed in for a lead climb, 2 lead climbs and this bloke still on the phone and tied in. Does anyone else encounter these problems?

PreferKnitting
30-Apr-2006
8:41:52 PM
Yeap, this topic has been talked about to death! But it's an amusing one... so let's here more grips.

I love people on mobile phones.. mid climb! Take a close look at one of the photos at Cliffhanger,
Climber, midcrux drinking a stubby. Maybe an equivalent indoor climbing photo could be a climber
midcrux talking on their mobile.

But really, maybe, instead of not saying anything and building up resentment... you could just ask them if
you could use the rope?

Which gym were you at? I'm curious to know which gym has more annoying people.

brat
1-May-2006
7:59:29 AM
The least annoying gym I've been to would be Urban Climb in Brisbane, there seems to be plenty of knowledgeable staff keeping things moving and room between climbs to minimise buggery!

I like Adrenalin in Toowoomba, great use of space, interesting, small and friendly.

The close routes and setup at Hard Rock Nunnawading, with belayers shoulder to shoulder creates numerous problems!

Canberra gym mid winter and there where only 3 of us there, pretty good, I'd like to go back and do the huge roof there!

simonu
1-May-2006
8:39:58 AM
Was at Cliffhanger yesterday and was stunned/appalled/annoyed to see a Dad taking a photo of his daughter with a camera phone. Daughter was at least 20m up and Dad had both hands off the rope!

rodw
1-May-2006
9:52:13 AM
On 1/05/2006 simonu wrote:
>Was at Cliffhanger yesterday and was stunned/appalled/annoyed to see a
>Dad taking a photo of his daughter with a camera phone. Daughter was at
>least 20m up and Dad had both hands off the rope!

Did you say anything to the dad or just stand there appalled, remember most ppl get a 2min quick this is how you belay talk and then set free, few if any really understand the mechanics so a simple quick refresher course by one such as you might have been in order. Indoors is like outdoors, you see someone doing something dumb/dangerous let them know why...and if they ignore you then you can continue to feel appalled but with no guilt.....and just move out of the splatter zone.

simonu
1-May-2006
10:24:48 AM
Yep, I mentioned that he might like to keep at least 1 hand on the rope while there was someone on the other end.

kezza
1-May-2006
12:18:16 PM
On 1/05/2006 rodw wrote:
>remember most ppl get a 2min quick this is how you belay talk and then set free,
>few if any really understand the mechanics so a simple quick refresher
>course by one such as you might have been in order.

Intro's that all newbies go through is quite thorough. If they first don't understand it, they simply won't be signed off.. Sometimes you have to go through the intro 3 or more times before they understand that there is a person on the other end relying on them to keep them in one piece. If after that they still don't understand the concept then they quite simply won't be belaying.. It's funny how some minds work, or don't work. But that's the general public for ya!
C'mon give us gym instructors a little bit of credit! just a lil'?

rodw
1-May-2006
12:25:52 PM
Sorry Kezza not having a go at instructors but most newbs to climbing gyms just dont get it...yeah they can go through the motions...have a basic understanding....but really dont understand the whole belay thing first go and any distractions (like gee that would be a good shot for my camera to show the family) or situation slightly out of the norm will throw em...thats human nature.

kezza
1-May-2006
2:10:45 PM
I know what you mean I've seen it many times over. Some people just aren't meant to multi-task!
Dalai
1-May-2006
2:15:47 PM
On 1/05/2006 kezza wrote:
>C'mon give us gym instructors a little bit of credit! just a lil'?

Definitely always the instructors fault - nothing to do with the low IQ of some individuals...

brat
1-May-2006
2:26:28 PM
I was climbing indoors with a yank mate, he'd been taught to belay that night and he was having some troubles but seemed to be getting some system happening.

I climbed a 10m overhang and heard a scream, looked around at the yank and about 3 instructors where running at him and calling for me not to bail, he'd pulled the rope into a pile at his feet and was standing with the gri gri in one hand and a slack rope in the other, he'd totally lost it!

Some people just didn't get the "rope gene" and train them all you like they'll never get it!

Hatman
1-May-2006
5:32:31 PM
all good reasons not to go indoors, full of morons, and thats just the staff!

I mean a low light, bumshot of an indoor climber on top rope just doesn't do it for me realy unless of course the bum is RodW's

be seeing plenty of that this weekend huh cowboy!

rodw
1-May-2006
6:06:29 PM
So thats why you love being belay bunny...i just thought it was because you cant climb for shit.

Hatman
2-May-2006
6:57:42 AM
yup, i will be your belay salve any day matey

back on topic, I never go to my local gym nowdays as it is full of wanker public servants and fat mums.

quote "jimmy don't let kate down till she does that climb!! She wanted to do it now she has to!"
said by one fat mum sitting on a couch guzzling a coke.

I saw a public servant type dude who musta seen a photo of lead climbing or something. So he decided to clip the draws while on top rope. As a result his rope went from him down directly to the floor then up to the anchor! He got half way and got yelled at. He went white as a gost and shat him self.

I would love to drag these people out onto a slab at booromba and watch them look for the coloured crystals!
mockmockmock
2-May-2006
5:40:22 PM
I was out recently over Easter and recognised a group out from a gym.. I was very tempted to crab some cand of paint the rap down during the night to start painting hold different colours.. Thought it would be funny the next day.. and better for discussions on ethics... " Should holds be painted on easier climbs at Araps?? "

Ralph

IdratherbeclimbingM9
2-May-2006
5:49:14 PM
>Should holds be painted on easier climbs at Araps?? "
Better yet, glue some (real) rock holds on in a gym. :)
mockmockmock
2-May-2006
7:11:50 PM
That will just confuse them... WTF is this shyte?? It feels dirty... Hey look .. another brown route.. they all look the same!

Ralph

NCOIC Midnight Sortie Excercises

billk
3-May-2006
11:48:18 AM
On 2/05/2006 mockmockmock wrote:
>That will just confuse them... WTF is this shyte?? It feels dirty...
> Hey look .. another brown route.. they all look the same!
>
>Ralph
>
>NCOIC Midnight Sortie Excercises

There are quite a few white coloured routes at Araps and even more at the Gallery! However, the white holds on some climbs at Araps seem to branch out at certain points and if you choose the wrong lot to follow it probably gets very nasty.

BigMike
3-May-2006
11:57:46 AM
Talking on phones, yes, but another thing that annoys the piss out of me is people who spend HOURS hanging on a route, trying to do a move that they just can't get. Eventually after several hangs they get through that section, only to get shut down by the next section. While they frig around, others are lining up and there isn't a rope free in the gym.

I have a rule that I mercilessly enforce in gyms. Three hangs MAX, and then you're DOWN. Better to spend your time trying something you CAN climb. It's the best way to avoid belayer rage as well...

Sabu
3-May-2006
12:01:43 PM
On 3/05/2006 BigMike wrote:
>I have a rule that I mercilessly enforce in gyms. Three hangs MAX, and
>then you're DOWN. Better to spend your time trying something you CAN climb.
>It's the best way to avoid belayer rage as well...

that a good rule!!

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 85
There are 85 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints