General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 70
Author
goats in the grampians
kieranl
10-Jun-2003
10:05:13 PM
Sorry, I didn't get your joke.
It's not that I lack a sense of humour, I just didn't get it.
I made a serious reply to a post about feral goats in the Grampians.
For your own purposes you have hi-jacked this thread for a series of puerile jokes.
It's totally pathetic. You have the cheek to accuse me of taking offense at your abuse of this process!
Give me a break!
If you want a thread for under-graduate humour, please start one and stay there.
Matty
11-Jun-2003
12:19:10 PM
Sorry to have upset you with the little pun, but I didn't know this forum had very strict rules and guidelines. You don't have to read & respond to every comment. Sorry about the Hi-jack, does that make me a terrorist? Pathetic? I think not, just a little humour to lighten the list.

I think someone needs to get a life.
kieranl
11-Jun-2003
10:49:31 PM
I may well need to lighten up but you might also look at at your own attitude.
It hadn't occurred to me that a serious environmental post would be a target for pathetic jokes
As I said, I didn't get it. I didn't understand your joke and, now that I understand it, I don't see why you thought it was OK.
This started out as a thread on a serious environmental issue and you've relegated it to joke status. Good work.
Kieran

Donut King
12-Jun-2003
1:09:05 AM
Kieranl,

Goats in the Gramps may well be a *serious* environmental situation but, and my apologies to Mike, this is hardly a serious group.

Imagine how the thread would have evolved without your questioning….good work!!!

a realtively straight forward posting given a breath of humor due in part to your questioning.

I, for one, look forward to your continued passionate input to get things going.

cheers to all!

dk

(removed)
12-Jun-2003
11:08:32 AM
Making jokes and treating an issue seriously are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure almost everyone here at chockstone probably agrees too. Even when jokes are made, inevetibly the thread returns to its initial purpose. Ironically, the goat jokes have almost certainly increased the awareness of the environmental issue due to the fact that this thread appears nearly every day at the top of the forum topics.

The Elk
12-Jun-2003
11:13:22 AM
I agree... all publicity is good publicity. ?
I didn't even know goats were hangin' out in the Grampians.... now I do. Must keep an eye out....

phil_nev
12-Jun-2003
1:44:13 PM
its not really fair.... some people here seem to think that just because you make a joke about an issue... that you dont care about it.... in this case that is definitly not true.

hardcore
12-Jun-2003
2:20:41 PM
Apart from the Great Gramps Goat Grope jokes, has anyone thought catching the critters and farming them rather than shooting them - 264 goats would surely make a viable business. I presume a market exists for goat cheese, milk, meat etc - even groping for all I know.

tmarsh
12-Jun-2003
4:06:49 PM
I'm not sure how you would go about trapping a goat. A pit lined with velcro, perhaps?

I can see a few reasons why this might not be something people are looking into. Many feral animals are vectors for disease, and are often extensively parasite ridden. It would be difficult to integrate them into an existing farm without jepoardising stock. It would be difficult and expensive to find, trap and transport them.

On the other hand, a .270 bullet costs about a dollar.

I for one am in favour of them being shot, as I am in favour of rabbits, feral cats, wild deer etc. The spread of agriculture is putting enough pressure on habitat as it is without making native animals compete with ferals as well.

And before you peg me for some gun-totin' redneck, I'm a fairly peaceable vegetarian. Relocation should be an option for animals that actually belong on this continent to begin with.

Cheers,
Tim
joemor
12-Jun-2003
4:55:23 PM
shooting is definately the most cost effective option of removing feral animals. it does waste the meat and associated products, tho i doubt that food hygine would permit the comercial preparation and sale of "feral" products since you cant even prepare roo for sale in victoria. its all shipped in from sa.

its a pity the animal is wasted tho i gues its better than it destroying the gramps.

joe
kieranl
13-Jun-2003
8:42:36 PM
It seems that a lot of people didn't understand that feral goats are a problem in the Grampians. I took as a given that feral goats were a problem;they have been for many years. Thats why I took offense at some light-hearted, juvenile, jokes.
If I have embarassed myself over this, then I am happy that some people have been made aware of this problem.
The original post was from cliffcare. If you see any goats, deer, foxes or pumas please drop cliffcare a line.

Rupert
16-Jun-2003
9:23:03 AM
I thought all the pumas lived in the King Rat Gully at Arapiles?

hardcore
16-Jun-2003
12:03:14 PM
Is that a Puma joke Rupert

Rupert
16-Jun-2003
1:35:43 PM
oops - Wrong forum, I know!

Rich
17-Jun-2003
3:20:31 PM
pumas hey? now there's a challenge one hadn't thought of.. *scratches beard thoughtfully with velcro gloved hand*
kieranl
17-Jun-2003
11:48:01 PM
What a total waste of space this thread has become. It wa started as a serious environmental thread and people have used it to exercise their pathetic humour.
Maybe I take things too seriously but this is a serious issue and the message I get is that most climbers don't give a shit. You'd rather indulge in a cheap joke than engage in a serious discussion.
If that's what you want then it's fine by me. I'll f--- off and not worry about climbing issues. It makes life a lot easier.
There's no point in responding to this because I will not answer. It's totally pathetic.
Kieran

The Blond Gecko
18-Jun-2003
9:12:04 AM
Mate, lighten up. As a few people have mentioned earlier, humour and seriousness are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

nmonteith
18-Jun-2003
9:16:56 AM
I am not quite sure what we, as climbers, can do about the goat problem - Apart from keeping an eye out for the critters and reporting them to Parks Vic. Its not like we can brign guns into the Nataional Park and cull them ourselves.

hardcore
18-Jun-2003
10:03:24 AM
I think this forum has quite clearly established that climbers can do lots of things about the gramps goats - not with guns but with gumboots and velcro gloves

Rich
18-Jun-2003
10:14:27 AM
i'm think perhaps wat some see as 'jokes' are hitting a bit close to home for some people.. but hey, each to their own ;-P

Page 2 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 70
There are 70 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints