General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
Author
Why do you climb?

JamesMc
27-May-2015
9:14:49 PM
On 27/05/2015 Superstu wrote:
>I climb because I get grumpy if I don't.
>
>
This is why my wife encourages me to climb. Is that selfish of her?
One Day Hero
28-May-2015
1:28:06 PM
On 23/05/2015 Climboholic wrote:
>One of the biggest examples of self delusion I've seen amongst climbers
>is when they claim to put up new routes to 'give back' to climbing. If
>you want to contribute then go to a track maintenance day, or pick up some
>rubbish, or bury your sh!t. But be honest with yourself, doing a climb
>then jumping on TheCrag to upload it is an egotistical act.

Despite my ongoing rants against bolting, I'm actually less cynical about this than you seem to be. I reckon most people who establish routes do it with altruistic intentions, it's just that perspective and balance can get majorly out of whack. I agree that trackwork and route maintainance are the best ways to contribute, mostly because the outcome is less speculative and judgement less likely to be clouded by new route fever.
PDRM
28-May-2015
2:32:54 PM
On 28/05/2015 One Day Hero wrote:

>Despite my ongoing rants against bolting, I'm actually less cynical about
>this than you seem to be. I reckon most people who establish routes do
>it with altruistic intentions, it's just that perspective and balance can
>get majorly out of whack. I agree that trackwork and route maintainance
>are the best ways to contribute, mostly because the outcome is less speculative
>and judgement less likely to be clouded by new route fever.

I don't disagree with you, but it's undoubtedly the case that steps and trackwork have a greater impact upon the visual amenity of an area than bolts. There's something more visceral about the bolt debates.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
There are 23 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints