ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 115
Author
Bagging Nowra..
uwhp510
16-Jul-2014
4:13:36 PM
On 16/07/2014 tnd wrote:
>Top climbing spot, and it's great that the d1ckheads who don't like it
>don't go there, so I don't have to encounter them.

You're not real big on diversity of opinion are you there mate?

shiltz
16-Jul-2014
6:12:48 PM
First went to Nowra in the 90's. Before that I'd never really been to a sport climbing venue. Learnt about threading the chains to lower off, belayed with a grigri for the first time and got accustomed to dogging, dangling and doinking.
Took the locals advice and didn't lock the car to avoid it being opened with a brick.
Stayed at the animal park with its discount for "rockies" as the owner called us.
Ate Aussie pizza, much the same quality as any country town then. Drank cheap beer and didn't care about the coffee.
Opened my eyes to how many climbs you could do in a day, many forgettable but many I still recall.
I've been back a bunch of times since and each time it seems to have mellowed a little bit more. Last time at TP about 5 years ago it almost had a real family picnic atmosphere.
ropedonkey
16-Jul-2014
6:58:13 PM
Where to start...
If you sleep in a rotunda in the only unlit park in town you maybe asking for trouble.
Lived in the area for half a century and never had some ask for pot..
Wendy mentioned the break in..18 years ago.
Nowra fair is still there just a name change..
Likewise I don't go there as it has nothing to offer me..
The Australian is the worst hotel in Nowra along with the Archer.
Go to the Indian in kinghorne st.
Or the Thai near the bridge.
The cake store, hyper coffee, Berry sourdough the numerous sushi..
Gee I had a dodgy meal at Newtown once but don't bag sydney.
And don't get me started about turds at the crag..
I am sure Bogan Bob
doesn't get up and walk all the way down to take a dump...
My guess it's some bloody south aussie who had a rough night in a park
f_abe
16-Jul-2014
9:22:54 PM
Okay, I must acquiesce that I was a trifle harsh on Australia’s sport climbing (and fat and ugly, but that’s an unfair gross generalization we came up with after a random sample of social services offices, pubs, backstreets and mall) capital.

Never before have I stayed at such a well-equipped free campsite; car seats round the fire, bicycles turned into bbq’s, entertainment provided by locals in sh!tty cars ‘cutting sick’, and constant reminders of those halcyon childhood days of coming home with untold treasures after a trip to the hard rubbish dump, before the greeny do-gooders ruined such adventures.
And now, sadly (and somewhat ironically), a TAFE.

Recent trips with cob (child on board) opened eyes to a new world. The animal park is truly great, and the caravan parks provided an insight into an eclectic variety of ‘otherworlders’ that only compare to Natimuk after dark. Whilst it’s true that Berry sourdough, is, almost as good as its donuts, it’s just not Nowra. It’s like saying Sydney’s good cos it’s near the Blueys. Or Horsham’s good cos it’s near Arapiles. Or the big Koala rocks cos it’s near Taipan.

You go there, tick a bunch of closely bolted routes, or project a ‘hard one’ swapping beta with fellow ‘hard men’, and go home happy that you’ve climbed something. Then when you wipe your feet on the mat and wonder “WTF is that smell” you realize the only ‘hard one’ was in your pants, and that Shazza down the North Nowra Tav actually looked okay after your sixth Tooheys ‘give that man a’ New.

If rocks were surf breaks, Nati locals would ask you politely to step off their flared greasy seam cracks before breaking into an interpretive dance to express their frustration in a non-confrontational manner (save the odd hammer wielding psycho), Grampians tough guys would remove their shirts, look you in the eye, tell you you’re a poof for wanting to replace a bash in carrort, and get stuck into some good old fashioned biffo, while Nowrites would knee you in the nuts when you weren't looking and blow their windfall at the nearest pokies…

So why the hell do I keep going back there???
Cos climbing is climbing. A day at the stinkiest, dankest, darkest Nowra bogan infested cliff, or a day at work?

ChuckNorris
16-Jul-2014
9:43:30 PM
Screw you f abe the big koala rocks. All my gps cords are in relation to how far I am from the big K

We have community nights with free tea and biscuits if you want to come along sometime.
f_abe
16-Jul-2014
10:03:32 PM
No, to quote your vernacular, screw you Stugang, as I have just exposed you for the fraud you are.
There are no such thing as community nights. Boozed up, Koala 'petting' nights maybe, but my research shows a much more sordid side to 'Sam, the guardian of the Grampians', aka Cuddles the Koala:
Get drunk, watch Australia's greatest movie (but only cos it revolved around the Kingswood, third on the list of alltime great Oz cars behind the Valiant and the HR), and finger your limited edition 'big thing' redhead matches in anticipation of burning sh!t.
Hmm...sounds like a night in Nowra...

but here's my proof, direct from their website:

Welcome to The Giant Koala

One of Australia's 'Big Things', The Giant Koala, is situated midway between the Victorian towns of Stawell & Horsham at a small town called Dadswells Bridge. Dadswells Bridge is regarded as the gateway to the Grampians Ranges and Sam the Giant Koala is the “Guardian of the Grampians”.
Stop in for breakfast, lunch or dinner or just drop in for some takeaway food, a hot drink or a nice cold ice cream. Try our range of old style boiled lollies or make a selection from our lolly shop with a large range of chocolates & lollies. You can even have your next function / party at the Giant Koala in the newly landscaped courtyard fed with our famous camp oven roasted meats.
The Giant Koala owners Rob and Julie Ann with Cuddles the Koala
Make use of our BBQ and bring your own meat and have a picnic out in our courtyard or among the animals in the zoo.
No need to bring your own alcohol as we are a licensed premises.
The Giant Koala has a large range of gifts and souvenirs for all ages so that you can take a soft toy koala away with you as a reminder of your visit.
The new owners of The Giant Koala, Rob & Julie-Anne, have recently added a zoo which is home to two very affectionate koalas and other native Australian animals & some farm animals.
The Giant Koala owners Rob and Julie Ann with Cuddles the Koala
You can have your photo taken in with our Koalas for a small fee. We have just completed a children’s "Petting Zoo" where they can pat animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, baby turkeys, chickens.
The Giant Koala made an appearance on the Paul Hogan and Shane Jacobson movie 'Charlie and Boots' and was featured in the Telstra Bigpond advertisements this year.
A series of eight 'Big Things' in Australia has just been released on Redhead Matches and The Giant Koala was selected to be part of this series you can find them in Supermarkets now.

ChuckNorris
16-Jul-2014
10:14:43 PM
Yeh yeh yeh. One question for you smarty f abe:

Have you ever seen a bigger Koala?

I know the answer already so don't bother replying.

ropedonkey
16-Jul-2014
10:40:32 PM
Ok this weekend I shall do a poll and I guess most cars will have ACT plates then Victoria followed by wicked campers..
The animal park has reached a new high as the feeder was dragged into the feeding pond by the local crocodile. ..
More bogan news!
Anyway are we calling main street Nowra after 8pm Anzac day typical of all of Nowra.
So is natimuk bonded to araps as its about the same distance as Berry...
I am pretty sure most towns have a local hot spot

pmonks
17-Jul-2014
8:26:37 AM
My $0.02 from back in the day (late 90s / early 00s)...

Having the car broken into on almost every visit becomes pretty tiresome, particularly after leaving the doors unlocked and having thieves smash a window anyway. Same problem at Pt Perp.

That unique Nowra spooge that makes everything slipperier than a greased pig when it's > 16°C.

Massive spontaneous rockfall e.g. from the stepped rooves above the Colosseum. It's one thing to hear it rumbling across the valley in the Blueys, and quite another to be less than 50m from the impact zone.

That said, Nowra is a great place to have a low-mental-stress day!

Sonic
17-Jul-2014
11:46:13 AM
What's the difference between a Nowra guy and a Nowra girl?

The girl has a higher sperm count.

I grew up in Penrith, spent lots of my youth in towns in central western NSW and western Victoria and I still think Nowra is a sheethole. If you think it has good services, food, etc compared to other country towns, you need to get out more.

Then again Nowra has lots of climbing, alot of which is good. Im currently sitting under Belgian Tourist Wall in pretty sticky conditions for a pre-work pump session, so I can't really complain right now.
hero
17-Jul-2014
12:30:25 PM
Interesting conversation. Mostly about the environs of the cliff, not the climbing. Moonarie does not have cafes, art (? not sure where that is in Nowra) or pubs but the climbing is great.

On the local radio today (yes, I am near Nowra) they talked about a new bridge across the river upstream from the current bridges. How will that affect Old Nowra?

Duang Daunk
17-Jul-2014
12:52:39 PM
On 16/07/2014 uwhp510 wrote:
>On 16/07/2014 tnd wrote:
>>Top climbing spot, and it's great that the d1ckheads who don't like it
>>don't go there, so I don't have to encounter them.
>
>You're not real big on diversity of opinion are you there mate?

Considers himself a local?

On 17/07/2014 hero wrote:
>Interesting conversation. Mostly about the environs of the cliff, not the climbing.

That's because bogans don't usually climb bro, and we're talking bagging Nowra after all?
While you are there, you ought to bag up a few and sell 'em off cheap by the dozen. I know a few places out 'sham way that would buy more to stop the inbreeding that's happening local to them there.

Eduardo Slabofvic
17-Jul-2014
1:12:15 PM
I did a stop over in Nowra in '84. Not my cup of tea. The fight in the pub was the greatest danger I confonted that required application of skill and dexterity to extract myself from harms way.

I can't recall the particular young lady who compared the routes at Nowra with the roots at Nowra by saying something like (and I may be paraphrasing here) "the climbs in Nowra are a lot like the boys who climb them, not very big and don't stay hard for very long".

.... nuf said.
ropedonkey
17-Jul-2014
4:56:22 PM
Wow...
Now we have taken things back to 84...
Do we realise that the berlin wall has come down since then..
Damn those medieval times take some getting over..
Btw I don't live at Nowra I am at Jervis bay..
Can climb at Nowra in 20 mins. Point perp in 40. Go surfing in 10 . Water ski in 20, bike riding in 5 fishing in 2 and snow skiing in 2 bloody hrs...

E. Wells
17-Jul-2014
5:04:21 PM
I know you have a new hip but it shouldn't take you 5min to mount your pushy and roll down the road..
ropedonkey
17-Jul-2014
6:06:37 PM
You would think so Evan.
But with two teenage boys I generally have to first find the bike, then pump up the tyres and de-rust the chain.
So five minutes is probably generous

Big G
17-Jul-2014
6:20:48 PM
On 17/07/2014 Sonic wrote:
>What's the difference between a Nowra guy and a Nowra girl?
>
>The girl has a higher sperm count.
>
>I grew up in Penrith, spent lots of my youth in towns in central western
>NSW and western Victoria and I still think Nowra is a sheethole. If you
>think it has good services, food, etc compared to other country towns,
>you need to get out more.

Rather live in Nowra than Penrith and exactly which of the 'awesome' towns in the central west of Nsw.have better food and services...orange, where else?
>
>Then again Nowra has lots of climbing, alot of which is good. Im currently
>sitting under Belgian Tourist Wall in pretty sticky conditions for a pre-work
>pump session, so I can't really complain right now.

Exactly

Sonic
17-Jul-2014
9:01:04 PM
On 17/07/2014 Big G wrote:

>
>Rather live in Nowra than Penrith and exactly which of the 'awesome' towns
>in the central west of Nsw.have better food and services...orange, where
>else?

I didn't say any of them have better food or service - it's just that Nowra isn't a standout. And the word awesome never came up. And yeah, I'd rather live anywhere than return to the riff.

This really is a case of defending your own territory - if you live somewhere, you feel connected and don't want people ragging on it, even though places like Nowra and Penrith (and anywhere else with a significant houso community) leave themselves open to the jokes.

Eduardo Slabofvic
17-Jul-2014
10:02:05 PM
...... and it stinks like Stugang's bad breath

ChuckNorris
17-Jul-2014
10:47:15 PM
On 17/07/2014 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>...... and it stinks like Stugang's bad breath

eduardo thank you for showing the respect I deserve by capitalising the first letter of my awesomely powerful name.

Page 2 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 115
There are 115 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints