Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 4 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 68
Author
A climbing community or a fantasy world

Snacks
12-Feb-2013
8:53:35 AM
I think it's important to remember that climbers like the rest of the population can be some of the most selfish and passive aggressive people in the sporting world...

Give them a keyboard and an internet connection and we have a classic recipe for the ye ol:

Keyboard warrior.

Will_P
12-Feb-2013
10:04:16 AM
I'd be freaken thrilled if my mother led something at Buffalo, even if it was bolted. She's not in a nursing home yet, but still, I'd be writing a trip report about that sh*t and posting it everywhere.
singersmith
12-Feb-2013
11:29:33 AM
Cry me a river, Andrew. You come off sounding like a kid who desperately wants to be a member of the "in" club but can't figure out why you don't get any respect or new friends for spraying bolts all over boulder problems. I have to break the news: its not a great way to introduce yourself.

Reputations matter in climbing much, much more than in the fantasy "real" world. Nicknames and avatars differentiate people with common names and mark those who are questionable. Like who would go climbing with a guy everyone calls The Sleepy Belayer? My real name is David Smith but it would be great if I had a dollar for every time someone said, "Hey Singer, can you fix this?" You're in danger of getting stuck with a name like "Sir Boltsalot". The notion that the Myface is a wholesome circle of people holding hands singing "Kumbaya" is comical; there is plenty of vitriol stirred in with the false optimism over there.

shortman
12-Feb-2013
11:48:36 AM
On 12/02/2013 singersmith wrote:
>Cry me a river, Andrew. You come off sounding like a kid who desperately
>wants to be a member of the "in" club but can't figure out why you don't
>get any respect or new friends for spraying bolts all over boulder problems.
>I have to break the news: its not a great way to introduce yourself.
>
>Reputations matter in climbing much, much more than in the fantasy "real"
>world. Nicknames and avatars differentiate people with common names and
>mark those who are questionable. Like who would go climbing with a guy
>everyone calls The Sleepy Belayer? My real name is David Smith but it would
>be great if I had a dollar for every time someone said, "Hey Singer, can
>you fix this?" You're in danger of getting stuck with a name like "Sir
>Boltsalot". The notion that the Myface is a wholesome circle of people
>holding hands singing "Kumbaya" is comical; there is plenty of vitriol
>stirred in with the false optimism over there.

Thanks David.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
12-Feb-2013
10:22:52 PM
On 12/02/2013 shortman wrote:
>On 12/02/2013 singersmith wrote:
>>Cry me a river, Andrew. You come off sounding like a kid who desperately
>>wants to be a member of the "in" club but can't figure out why you don't
>>get any respect or new friends for spraying bolts all over boulder problems.
>>I have to break the news: its not a great way to introduce yourself.
>>
>>Reputations matter in climbing much, much more than in the fantasy "real"
>>world. Nicknames and avatars differentiate people with common names and
>>mark those who are questionable. Like who would go climbing with a guy
>>everyone calls The Sleepy Belayer? My real name is David Smith but it
>would
>>be great if I had a dollar for every time someone said, "Hey Singer,
>can
>>you fix this?" You're in danger of getting stuck with a name like "Sir
>>Boltsalot". The notion that the Myface is a wholesome circle of people
>>holding hands singing "Kumbaya" is comical; there is plenty of vitriol
>>stirred in with the false optimism over there.
>
>Thanks David.

+1
ozone
15-Feb-2013
11:15:50 PM
I occasionally scroll through chockstone, maybe once every few months. Each time I do though I get the same vibe. A handful of frequent fliers just waiting to pounce and tell everyone else they're an idiot for something. It's really tedious. I could name names but just read any thread and you'll see them all. Do you people ever climb? Do you climb just so you can post things on here and get cred? Seriously pathetic some of the stuff that goes on here, takes me back to year 4.
Andrew, I like your comments because they reflect what I think each time I read anything on here. The same few jump in and hijack it all.
And regarding the bolts at the horn, I was climbing there a few weeks back and although I agree with all the ethic blah blah, my wife was stoked to find that bolt on the flake on the pintle LHV. If it really disturbs you, don't clip it. It's a 16 or whatever it is, a real feather in the cap. Why not make it a bit more pleasant for some begginners. She loved it.
Anyway, onward with the criticisms and slagging. I'll log on in a few months and I'm sure I'll find the same old.
Cheers Andrew,
Carl from katoomba

ChuckNorris
16-Feb-2013
8:51:52 PM
Well speaking of fantasy world. I had the trippiest dream about John Bachar two nights ago. i don't even know why JB even sprung into my dreams, he's never been a particular hero of mine - I climbed with him/his possee a bit in the valley in the late 80's but other than that no connection. Dream goes...

I open up a new guidebook for california rock....the first 30 pages or so are all about classic climbs and all that bullshit. So I end up opening page 40 and it goes to a seaside scene with a couple of boulders in the background. Then there is JB with a few buxom chicks and long haired climbing dude groupies. Next thing JB starts getting blown by two of the chicks and then starts snogging a hippy dude with dreadlocks.

Unfortunately there were no happy endings as my son came into the bedroom and shat on my pillow.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Feb-2013
9:09:46 PM
... and the point is?

Page 4 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 68
There are 68 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints