Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
Author
Albury Indoor Climbing Gym
AdamL
16-Jan-2013
3:53:33 PM
Hi can anybody confirm or deny whether the indoor climbing gym in Albury is going to re-open?

climbau
16-Jan-2013
4:44:39 PM
March

macey
21-Jan-2013
9:53:31 PM
Definitely confirmed!! Opening late Feb/ early March 2013. Can't wait!! :-) :-) :-)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21-Jan-2013
9:55:47 PM
On 21/01/2013 macey wrote:
>Definitely confirmed!! Opening late Feb/ early March 2013. Can't wait!!
>:-) :-) :-)

Outdoors is better! ☺
Heh, heh, heh.

macey
24-Jan-2013
10:34:53 PM
Yeah, but when you're as weak and useless as myself (but love climbing nonetheless), I figure there's only two realistic options...

1/ Visit the local gym on a regular basis, crank on a bit of plastic and get stronger.
OR 2/ Surrender to the fact that I'm weak and useless and become an aid climber. :-P

IdratherbeclimbingM9
24-Jan-2013
10:56:55 PM
On 24/01/2013 macey wrote:
>Yeah, but when you're as weak and useless as myself (but love climbing
>nonetheless), I figure there's only two realistic options...
>
> 1/ Visit the local gym on a regular basis, crank on a bit of plastic
>and get stronger.
>OR 2/ Surrender to the fact that I'm weak and useless and become an aid
>climber. :-P
>
Why limit yourself glasshopper?
... or
3/ Revel in the fact that one can still get up things of reasonable difficulty using clean aid to engage the mind when decrepitness sets in, without having stuffed oneself in training on plastic beforehand!
;-)

macey
27-Jan-2013
9:49:23 AM
You're right about that. I think I'll actually start to play around with aid a little bit this year. A night here and there on the north wall would be a fun little adventure I reckon!
bladeso
1-Feb-2013
2:18:45 PM
what's the name of the gym. Coming out from Canada to Albury-Wodonga in March and hoping to tune a bit before going to Arapiles.

climbau
1-Feb-2013
4:18:29 PM
On 1/02/2013 bladeso wrote:
>what's the name of the gym. Coming out from Canada to Albury-Wodonga in
>March and hoping to tune a bit before going to Arapiles.
Albury Indoor Climbing Gym

macey
1-Feb-2013
10:47:10 PM
Hey bladeso, it's great to hear you're coming over to check out the area because we have quite a bit of high quality granite climbing in the vicinity ( including of course, the magnificent Mt Buffalo). As far as the gym goes, we're planning a grand opening to be held on March 2nd and can be contacted on facebook (Albury Indoor Rock Climbing).

IdratherbeclimbingM9
2-Feb-2013
6:45:28 PM
On 1/02/2013 macey wrote:
>Hey bladeso, it's great to hear you're coming over to check out the area
>because we have quite a bit of high quality granite climbing in the vicinity
>( including of course, the magnificent Mt Buffalo).

bladeso is coming from
>Canada
~>Depending upon where in Canada; bladeso might not think our local granite is 'high quality'...
Having never been to Canada myself, but knowing some people who have climbed at Buffalo and also Squamish in British Columbia, the impression I get from them, is that Buffalo granite is actually ordinary quality in the bigger scheme of things.

macey
2-Feb-2013
7:36:29 PM
Point taken. I guess I'm simply speaking from my own limited experience.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
2-Feb-2013
7:39:06 PM
On 2/02/2013 macey wrote:
>Point taken. I guess I'm simply speaking from my own limited experience.

My limited experience agrees with yours! ~> It is pretty bloody good for a local cliff eh!!

skegly
3-Feb-2013
7:15:55 AM
also a tad better than felltimber.
bladeso
9-Feb-2013
11:11:31 AM
Hey climbing is climbing. Planning on Buffalo as well. got a look at it once but we went skiing at False Creek instead as it was closed. I'll get in touch at the gym when we get over there.
Arapiles is still the main objective.
Steve M
27-Jul-2014
8:22:08 PM
Is the gym closed ? The Facebook page says it is reopened after an electrical issue but it didn't look too open on Thursday night when I got there.
Steve M
29-Jul-2014
5:52:55 PM
Phone number disconnected, not looking good.
peteclimbs
30-Jul-2014
11:26:59 AM
Not a huge surprise if it has gone under. We stopped by there a few months ago and it was ridiculously expensive to climb, even for very young kids (we had some family in tow). I appreciate there must be challenges balancing cash flow at most gyms, particular one in a regional area, but the solution is not simply to put your fees through the roof. Shame if it has closed though.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Jul-2014
11:49:26 AM
On 30/07/2014 peteclimbs wrote:
>Not a huge surprise if it has gone under. We stopped by there a few months
>ago and it was ridiculously expensive to climb, even for very young kids
>(we had some family in tow). I appreciate there must be challenges balancing
>cash flow at most gyms, particular one in a regional area, but the solution
>is not simply to put your fees through the roof. Shame if it has closed
>though.

This was the third time in the last 20 years that a climbing gym has gone under in the Albury-Wodonga area, and this is not counting (to my imperfect knowledge), the closure of the army one at Bandiana after it became disused.
I don't know if the one in Wagga Wagga lasted too long either.

More the surprise to me, is that they continue to start up in this area periodically, as I suspect that there is a minimum population demographic/ratio (that hasn't been reached here yet), required for sustaining such a business venture.

rodw
30-Jul-2014
1:11:04 PM
I suspect they would need schools on board to help make it viable...how many schools in the area and how willing would they be to having it as as school sport?

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
There are 28 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints