Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Good place to buy harness near Melbs CBD?
grue
7-Mar-2009
11:20:08 AM
I'm trying to avoid purchasing online because 1, I want to support local business, and 2, I need to try 'em on before I buy.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

ajfclark
7-Mar-2009
11:54:35 AM
On 7/03/2009 grue wrote:
>I'm trying to avoid purchasing online because 1, I want to support local
>business, and 2, I need to try 'em on before I buy.
>
>Any thoughts or suggestions?

There's a bunch of outdoor stores on Little Bourke between Elizabeth and Hardware Lane.
fish boy
7-Mar-2009
12:53:11 PM
Bogong will steer you in the right direction if you go to the CBD...

Sabu
7-Mar-2009
2:15:40 PM
On 7/03/2009 grue wrote:
>I'm trying to avoid purchasing online because 1, I want to support local
>business, and 2, I need to try 'em on before I buy.
>
Little burke street is pretty much the best place to shop for gear in victoria. all the top
end stores are within a stones throw of each other, each carrying their own selection of
brands.
Most should let you hang off it if they've got a rope anchored to the roof.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
7-Mar-2009
3:14:43 PM

The site sponsor has excellent (read very competitive), prices on all climbing gear, including harnesses.
I agree that trying harnesses on is the best way to go, but my expeience in dealing with sponsor is that he is willing to let you do this via the mail system if necessary, ie not online.
He has looked after me, and from feedback I have heard from others, has done the same for them as well.
I doubt you could do better.
It may be worth giving him a call, or an email and seeing what he can offer.

Sabu
7-Mar-2009
3:45:35 PM
On 7/03/2009 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>>Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
>The site sponsor has excellent
>(read very competitive), prices on all climbing gear, including harnesses.
>I agree that trying harnesses on is the best way to go, but my expeience
>in dealing with sponsor is that he is willing to let you do this via the
>mail system if necessary, ie not online.
>He has looked after me, and from feedback I have heard from others, has
>done the same for them as well.
>I doubt you could do better.
>It may be worth giving him a call, or an email and seeing what he can
>offer.

Another trick is to try on any harnesses in stores then order online (usually cheaper)
through places such as Rockhardware.

BoulderBaby
7-Mar-2009
6:42:12 PM
Hardrock have a sale at thier nunawading gym on their harnesses, Also any of the Paddy's stores are more than happy to order some in for you(Cuz only melbourne have a full harness range)

ajfclark
9-Mar-2009
9:52:11 AM
On 7/03/2009 Sabu wrote:
>Another trick is to try on any harnesses in stores then order online (usually cheaper) through places such as Rockhardware.

I think this is poor form. If everyone does this the stores will make no money from harnesses, shoes and the like and they'll stop stocking them. Then where will you go to try on a harness? If you use the facilities they provide you could at least give them your custom as thanks.

ambyeok
10-Mar-2009
7:28:29 AM
On 9/03/2009 ajfclark wrote:
>I think this is poor form. If everyone does this the stores will make
>no money from harnesses, shoes and the like and they'll stop stocking them.
> Then where will you go to try on a harness? If you use the facilities
>they provide you could at least give them your custom as thanks.

I agree for harnesses and shoes because it takes a lot of time and shop staff are diverted from genuine customers. But who hasnt checked out some nuts or cams they are thinking of including in a bulk online order?

Cliffhanger is not in the CBD but they have a tasty range of Acteryx harnesses.

foreverabumbly
17-Mar-2009
10:23:08 AM
On 9/03/2009 ajfclark wrote:
>
>I think this is poor form. If everyone does this the stores will make
>no money from harnesses, shoes and the like and they'll stop stocking them.
> Then where will you go to try on a harness? If you use the facilities
>they provide you could at least give them your custom as thanks.

perhaps these retailers should drop the rediculously high mark up, and make their prices more competitive with online stores such as rock hardware. Then I would concider buying the harness I try on.

JimboV10
17-Mar-2009
10:36:00 AM
Hahah u bitch about a few people trying on harnesses... You should try working in the travel industry..

You spend 6 days putting together a 3 month europe package, flights airfares rail cruises car hire all linked up, client had no idea how to do anything before they came in, absolutley stoked with everything..... then get a "thanks for your help.. my hubby looked at everything you gave us and we could book our $10000pp package for $20 less each online.. so we did that.."

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Mar-2009
10:41:35 AM
You are obviously overpriced!
;-)

... at least you got feedback?

Eduardo Slabofvic
17-Mar-2009
10:58:27 AM
I just bought a new harness from Bongon in Melbs. It's great. I really like how it has an extra belay loop (that's right it has two belay loops), so that I can now load my screwgate in about 20 different directions at once without even trying too hard.

Each belay loop has 5 bar tacks. I'm now going to go get a 20t SWW bow shackle and 10mm stainless steel wire rope so I'll be real safe when I clip into my ultra light weight alloy biniers that are on my 2 RP placements.

ajfclark
17-Mar-2009
11:02:39 AM
On 17/03/2009 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>I just bought a new harness from Bongon in Melbs.

Must be great gear if you need to wear a harness when you're smoking it.

BundyBear
17-Mar-2009
11:11:45 AM
For sale

http://www.backcountry.com/store/review/95046/Black-Diamond-Phoenix-Harness.html

Size: Large

Never been used.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Mar-2009
11:14:05 AM
>I just bought a new harness from Bongon in Melbs. (snip)

... yeah but is it any good for grit?

>it has an extra belay loop (that's right it has two belay loops),

... that's for when you are swinging leads right?

Can imagine it now.

The crowd is hushed. Cue ~> spot light on hero. ES on doubledouble belay gives climbing call, "no need to com'on down!" (crowd cheers), 'cause I gotchagotcha on belaybelay"
... someone miss-hears in the background thinking it an echo of good acoustics at the Arapiles theatre... whilst the camera rolls for Goatfest Productions!

Eduardo Slabofvic
17-Mar-2009
2:32:11 PM
On 17/03/2009 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>... that's for when you are swinging leads right?

Hero and I are big swingers

hehehehehehehehehheheheheiouawdfboyuqwiopbhqweoygfwpduvhack

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Mar-2009
2:48:39 PM
>Hero and I are big swingers

... Ok.
I was worried he/you? could be left dangling by being belayed too tightly.

>hehehehehehehehehheheheheiouawdfboyuqwiopbhqweoygfwpduvhack

... you need to copyright that one before he who wrote the book plagiarises it?

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints