Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Benefit of repairing sleeping bag with extra fill
JohnK
7-May-2017
5:21:49 PM
Hi guys,

Getting my Mont sleeping bag zips repaired, and wondering if the benefit of also getting 100 grams of extra fill put into my bag is worth the expense?

The bag is about 10 years old and originally rated to -10 degrees, but obviously has lost some of it's efficiency.

Equivalent new bag will cost approx $500.00, whereas to repair the zip and have additional fill etc will be less than half the cost.

Thoughts?

John K.
mikllaw
7-May-2017
6:27:13 PM
I had a Mountain Design Travelite super* with 350 gr of fill, over 30 years I probably added 400gr of fill and it kept the warmth up for over 30 years.

I'd add 200gr

* disclaimer- super light through sewn bag, I always needed clothes and a hat if it was below 5C
patto
7-May-2017
6:39:29 PM
Adding fill doesn't sound like the best idea. If you are going to the trouble of refilling you might as well empty and refill otherwise you are adding weight. Also if your fill is of good quality then adding more than originally designed is going to have greatly demimishing returns. The baffles are designed for a specific fill.
mikllaw
7-May-2017
7:44:00 PM
Yes a dump and refill makes sense, down is cheapish
Wendy
8-May-2017
7:39:56 AM
I had extra down added to my 1990 mtain designs bag at about the 8 year mark. it was noticeably warmer but also heavier and desperate to get into its bag. another 6 years later i bought a new bag that was lighter, smaller and warmer. i'd look around and see what new bags are like these days for comparison before investing too much in an old bag. I'm still using the newer, lighter, warmer bag with no repairs needed.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
8-May-2017
7:07:36 PM
On 7/05/2017 JohnK wrote:
>Thoughts?

& Wendy wrote:
>I had extra down added to my 1990 mtain designs bag at about the 8 year mark. it was noticeably warmer but also heavier and desperate to get into its bag. another 6 years later i bought a new bag that was lighter, smaller and warmer. i'd look around and see what new bags are like these days for comparison before investing too much in an old bag. I'm still using the newer, lighter, warmer bag with no repairs needed.

I reckon Wendy is on the mark.
I've got a 40 year old Fairydown Everest Model (mummy style) bag, the very best of its kind back in its day, and it maintained its warmth for about 30 years... When it started to become less warm I considered doing the extra-fill thing, but after looking at newer technology and prices of good quality bags when on specials/sales I opted to buy a lighter mid-grade bag for a very good price on a 'sale'.

I have since found the newer technology bag to be warmer than the heavier Fairydown bag, and particularly so when used in conjunction with an Exped (down filled) sleeping mat.

More importantly however is the versatility provided by the newer bag, as I chose a rectangular model and it has a separate zip across the feet which allows further fine tuning of the temperature within it. This has proved very beneficial on really cold trips as I often camp out just using it/them in a bivvy bag on motorcycle trips in the high country. I put one inside the other for such occasions, and can still use one or the other singularly for warmer trips.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints