Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Twitter Ropes?
martym
29-Jun-2016
12:51:57 AM
I have been searching for double ropes online. BigJohn has a set of 'Cousin Trestc Twitter' - dry treated 8.5 for a very reasonable $206 each; but I've never heard of this brand...
Anyone?

http://www.bigjohn.com.au/gear/twitter-8-5-half-ropes.html

There's another Cousin Halfy 'Optima' at 8.9 for $240 - best prices in aus?

"This 8.9mm dynamic rope meets three standards: single, double and twin rope. This versatile, lightweight and flexible rope will satisfy extreme climbers as well as traditional climbers.
All Cousin Dynamic ropes are what is commonly referred to as "longlife" or "dry treated". Treated ropes repell water, dirt and chalk. The result is a rope that lasts longer and handles better throughout its life.
"
martym
29-Jun-2016
1:00:13 AM
Little more info (still not ringing any bells) - French company; most of te website is in French but they claim:
"the finest and lightest climbing rope Ř 7.9 mm of the market"

http://www.cousin-trestec.com/en/cousin-trestec-en/sports-loisirsen/

"Since the 19th century, COUSIN Trestec has been manufacturing in its factories in the North of France a range of ropes and textile braids.

Our skills have expanded in to various areas such as industry, offshore, lifting, load handling, car industry but also yachting, climbing, paragliding… and military and safety areas.

(To) manufacture military ropes, customize yachting ropes for prestigious sailors or realize synthetic cables to replace steel cable are so many challenges which allows COUSIN Trestec to propose high quality ropes on the market.

Ariel
29-Jun-2016
9:24:11 AM
To the best of my knowledge, Trestec are a big manufacturer whose stuff then gets rebranded and sold by other companies. I'm pretty sure they used to make ropes for Beal, and maybe Petzl for a while too.

I've got their 9.9 80m and given it a good thrashing over the last 3 years. Despite heaps of sports climbing I've only had to cut a little bit of it off, though it's probably due for retirement. I've also got their 8.5 doubles and no issues so far, though only had them for a few months.

What I've found with their ropes is that the sheathes fuzz up really quickly. Way quicker than mates' ropes that I've used. Not ratty old climbing gym type fuzzy rope, but just enough that they're clearly not new. Work just fine though, and the core seems plenty durable for all the abuse my sports climbing rope has been through.
Martym
30-Jun-2016
5:47:19 PM
On 29/06/2016 Ariel wrote:
>To the best of my knowledge, Trestec are a big manufacturer whose stuff
>then gets rebranded and sold by other companies. I'm pretty sure they used
>to make ropes for Beal, and maybe Petzl for a while too.
>
>I've got their 9.9 80m and given it a good thrashing over the last 3 years.
>Despite heaps of sports climbing I've only had to cut a little bit of it
>off, though it's probably due for retirement. I've also got their 8.5 doubles
>and no issues so far, though only had them for a few months.
>
>What I've found with their ropes is that the sheathes fuzz up really quickly.
>Way quicker than mates' ropes that I've used. Not ratty old climbing gym
>type fuzzy rope, but just enough that they're clearly not new. Work just
>fine though, and the core seems plenty durable for all the abuse my sports
>climbing rope has been through.

Cheers - so they are ok then?

The fuzziness doesn't sound promising - I've got some Mammut Genesis to replace - bought in around 2008 - not a bit of fuzz.

E. Wells
30-Jun-2016
5:54:15 PM
I have an optima from big john and im happy enough with it. Its only seen a few falls. I never expect too much from a rope that thin on regards to durability.
Wendy
2-Jul-2016
9:03:41 AM
I have no idea about Trestec but I have this theory that if gear meets uiaa or ce standards they will be fine. It just becomes a matter of durability, ease of use etc etc.

On the topic of thin doubles though, I have just retired a pair of edelrid 7.8s. I got 5 years out of them. Douglas never liked them because he hated looking down at taking a full sized fall onto just one of these shoes strings, and also found abseiling on them hard to control, but I loved them. Fantastic to clip, light, low drag. I didn't find it a problem holding falls on them. I thought they would fuzz up more but they remained pretty slick to the end. I retired them because I knew they'd done a truck load of climbing and I could find soft spots in them but most of the length still looked remarkably good. Ben would probably still use them.

ajfclark
2-Jul-2016
9:08:26 AM
Weighing half what Douglas and I weigh, those ropes look half as thick to us.

There are 7 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints