Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
Author
auto-undo approach shoes
mikllaw
17-Aug-2013
8:23:41 PM
I have a few pairs of approach shoes, and all of them have funky groovy gear freak fat laces that come undone every few hours. Does anyone have a theory why this is so, or is it just a form of psychic resistance training?

Duang Daunk
17-Aug-2013
9:30:44 PM
On 17/08/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>I have a few pairs of approach shoes, and all of them have funky groovy
>gear freak fat laces that come undone every few hours. Does anyone have
>a theory why this is so, or is it just a form of psychic resistance training?

"People whose shoelaces come undone look for a secure answer" @ http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/tying.htm

but since you seem to be an old granny asking for help, I will cut to the chase and tell you to go here http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/slipping.htm

ChuckNorris
17-Aug-2013
10:31:57 PM
Approach shoes, as the name suggests, are for walking to the crag, taking them off, then climbing and putting them back on for the walk back to the car.

Problem is if you have them on for more than a few hours you are not "approaching" you are actually bushwalking. Best get a pair of walking boots.
martym
18-Aug-2013
6:28:51 AM
try these?

Mr Poopypants
18-Aug-2013
6:43:23 AM
Duct tape?
sbright
18-Aug-2013
3:48:33 PM
You've probably been tying your shoelaces incorrectly for years. Here's a TED talk on the subject:

http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_to_tie_your_shoes.html

BoulderBaby
18-Aug-2013
5:39:34 PM
People always tell me that I was doing mine wrong, HOWEVER I'VE BEEN RIGHT!

I always knew this day would come. What a great day.
rightarmbad
18-Aug-2013
6:18:26 PM
I've never had shoe laces come undone on me before and always wondered why others had trouble.
Now I knows.
Mr Poopypants
18-Aug-2013
6:26:51 PM
Fencing wire?
gfdonc
18-Aug-2013
7:22:30 PM
>gear freak fat laces that come undone every few hours.

Every few hours? I have a pair of the legendary Sportiva's, worst shoelaces ever. Par for the course is to stop to retie 3 times on the approach to Dreamtime Wall, about 20 minutes. And that's with double knots.

However CraigO has waxed lyrically about the need to revisit the knot technique; either he got it from Ted or they were slapped by the same thunderclap at some stage ..

ajfclark
Online Now
18-Aug-2013
7:32:26 PM
I worked with a guy that wore shoes with those skinny leather laces and he used to have to stop and do them up every 5 minutes or so. I jokingly pointed him to Ian's website. A few weeks later he commented that after fixing his knot technique they only came untied when he wanted them to.
mikllaw
18-Aug-2013
7:45:11 PM
yeh yeh yeh, strong (TED approved) form of the knot ect, with finishing bows etc. just groovy round lace sportivas.

Maybe it works the same way as the classic fall-over-a-lot on the way to the crag and use up your supply of 'dropsy' (the hormone responsible for falling off/over) and sail through the day
Samuel
19-Aug-2013
11:12:39 AM
No theory other than to piss people off. But if you tuck the laces back under the threaded loops, they don't come undone anymore.

Rocksinmyhead
19-Aug-2013
5:09:07 PM
>gear freak fat laces that come undone every few hours. Does anyone have
>a theory why this is so, or is it just a form of psychic resistance training?

I've got a theory (although that's stretching the use of the word, for what is just an opinion).

Are they ( the laces ) stiff and round? I have the same trouble with a pair of merrels. Theory is round laces have a consistent cross section, so there is little resistance to laces sliding over each other. Flat laces, on the other hand, are pinched when tied, and it's the change in shape that stops them pulling through. I've noticed that soft round laces don't come undone as much, as they can be pinched a bit as well.

To sum up, I'm happier to blame the laces and keep retying them than do remedial shoe lace tying training.

mikllaw
19-Aug-2013
5:30:48 PM
stiff and round...
widewetandslippery
20-Aug-2013
1:46:01 PM
I know where you're coming from, space age shoes, cave man laces. The laces on volleys are awesome.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20-Aug-2013
9:17:40 PM
On 20/08/2013 widewetandslippery wrote:
>I know where you're coming from, space age shoes, cave man laces. The laces on volleys are awesome.

Much as I tend to agree with this, there is an even better solution to Mikl's woes.

Mind you, the idea is obviously valuable... as they certainly don't undo easily!

~> ... adds new meaning to locked project approaches, that you might still have under development eh Mikl?
Heh, heh, heh.
sturge
23-Aug-2013
11:04:55 AM
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

This is the ultimate shoelace knot.
I have completely switched to this since learning it.
mikllaw
23-Aug-2013
12:36:39 PM
I have one shoe where I've dribbled glue onto the knot, it's pretty secure

Cool Hand Lock
23-Aug-2013
8:22:44 PM
Paslode
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_paslode-impulse-nail-gun-framemaster-dna-b20543d_P6270387.aspx

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
There are 21 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints