Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Topic Date User
trad + grigri 29-Feb-2012 At 11:17:42 AM skink
>On 29/02/2012 andesite wrote:
>>On 28/02/2012 Linze wrote:
>>
>>>my partner weighs probably 2/3 of my weight, if that. this means that
>>>i have occasional encounters with the ground and we think that the gri
>>>gri is the differnce in making this soft rather than hard... so...
>>
>>You are wrong in this thinking. You are hitting the ground because your
>>belayer is being lifted up, not because of the device. Tie the belayer
>>down and problem is solved.
>
>..since you mentioned it, of all the things that bug me when climbing
>it is when i see people tie belayers to the deck under the premise that
>it will somehow make the activity safer/work better. it creates general
>discomfort for all invloved. hitting the deck softly is completly acceptable
>in my mind - getting tossed around while attached to a nearby tree root
>is the worst thing imaginable...
>

You are missing my point, which is that if you use a Grigri, you will still deck. The rope is not slipping through the ATC, the belayer is being lifted. The rope slips at 3kN+, about 300kg of force - so your lightweight belayer (<<300kg) is lifted into the air before enough force appears at the ATC for it to begin slipping. Get it? It is acting like a Grigri anyway...

I agree tying down the belayer is not ideal, but since using a Grigri won't actually solve your problem, I thought I'd mention it

There are 72 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints