Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Topic Date User
Australian prices! 18-May-2011 At 3:21:28 PM citationx
I guess that in the last few months, after many, many, many posts on chockstone (including bombarding people who try and sell new goods with examples of where you can buy them online in the states) the local shops are actually bringing down their prices. The latest skyrocketing of the USD/AUD ratio in our favour probably hasn't been taken into account, but then hey, they buy in bulk once or twice a year depending on the products.

There are probably many other factors why people don't buy overseas, even if they did know about these forwarders. Laziness is probably a major factor, but things like "spur of the moment" need or "i'm a climbing bum living in the gramps" may have something to do with it. it may even be that these climbers don't really care about an extra $15 for a cam (i spend in excess of $30 a week on coffee alone).

Re: why are the prices so high? I'm sure there's a level of greed and being able to screw the locals over because they can, the person from S2S who was posting on this forum (from my hazy memory, i don't care enough to go back, find the thread and confirm who it was/where they were from) didn't actually answer why places like S2S and Paddys do markup the import price by 100% to make the wholesale price, and then the retailers slap another 100% of the wholesale price on top for the retail price. It has probably come down recently after the outrage, but I'm sure they did their market research...*cough* maybe that's why they've brought down the prices of hardware again of late, re-research.
Another issue, with non-hardware stuff, is that it may be hard to find a comparable product here for trying on.

Also, you've only been on for three posts and dont give any information about who you are. What gives with the secrecy?

There are 85 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints