Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 29
Author
Joining Two Ropes

climbertron
21-Dec-2010
9:33:41 PM
He guys,

I was wondering what different methods people use for joining ropes and the reasons they use them.

I was taught to use an overhand because it slides over snags.

paul
21-Dec-2010
9:42:08 PM
Two overhand knotts, doesn't catch on stuff, easy to undo and it has a second knott backing it up.

I avoid the double fishermans because it catches on stuff and is hard to undo.
hargs
21-Dec-2010
10:24:37 PM
Overhand, long tails. Although a mate I climb with routinely unties them and replaces the overhands with double fishermans. Never had either hang up impossibly.

Does anyone use Zeppelin bends? They look like they'd be good for this sort of thing but -- having done exactly no actual research -- I haven't heard much about them in climbing applications.
rightarmbad
21-Dec-2010
11:37:09 PM
I use a single ended double fisherman.
Sometime I add a third to stop any potential slippage.

D.Lodge
21-Dec-2010
11:53:11 PM
euro death knot (overhand knot)
One Day Hero
22-Dec-2010
12:35:22 AM
On 21/12/2010 hargs wrote:
>
>Does anyone use Zeppelin bends? They look like they'd be good for this
>sort of thing but -- having done exactly no actual research -- I haven't
>heard much about them in climbing applications.

Zepplin Bends? Are you fuching insane????!!!

Didn't you hear about the accident those knots caused?
hargs
22-Dec-2010
6:47:06 AM
On 22/12/2010 One Day Hero wrote:
>Didn't you hear about the accident those knots caused?

Clearly, no. Got a link?

Edit: um, unless you're not talking about climbing accidents.

MisterGribble
22-Dec-2010
7:45:48 AM
Try a reef knot with a double fisherman for each loose end as a backup. Less bulk and easy to untie.

Bit of good old Gribble know-how!

climbau
22-Dec-2010
8:46:22 AM
Or a square knot finished with the double fishermans. :)
kieranl
22-Dec-2010
8:49:22 AM
For abseiling : for ropes of similar diameter : overhand knot with long tails. for ropes of different diameters : double fishermans.

For fixed ropes : double fishermans then tie an alpine butterfly so that the DF is within the free loop of the AB so doesn't take any load unless the AB slips.

Doug
22-Dec-2010
8:55:15 AM
This is another instance of where the KISS principle is the best option. For a long time I used a Double Fisherman's, but changed to the more simple Overhand (aka European Death knot, so dubbed when English speaking climbers couldn't initially get their heads around something simpler and easier being better) about twenty years ago. It's quicker, far easier to undo and never gets hung up. All major advantages, especially when efficiency is a factor (when shouldn't it be?). As long as you leave long tails and tension each of the four strands there is no need for a backup knot.
widewetandslippery
22-Dec-2010
9:02:52 AM
tie 2 bowlines together.

sbm
22-Dec-2010
9:44:49 AM
On 22/12/2010 One Day Hero wrote:
>On 21/12/2010 hargs wrote:
>>
>>Does anyone use Zeppelin bends? They look like they'd be good for this
>>sort of thing but -- having done exactly no actual research -- I haven't
>>heard much about them in climbing applications.
>
>Zepplin Bends? Are you fuching insane????!!!
>
>Didn't you hear about the accident those knots caused?

Zepplin bends are the most amazingly un-jamming knot I've seen. You can tie them in tent twine and jump up and down on it and the knot will still fall apart afterwards.

Unfortunately this means they have the security of a mis-tied bowline. Especially as the tails stick out at the worst possible angles and will catch on anything. Yes, you would have to be stupid or crazy to use it for climbing.
bobic
22-Dec-2010
9:57:20 AM
Does that clear it up for you climbertron?
widewetandslippery
22-Dec-2010
10:07:59 AM
You could ask them nicely and they might let you join.

climbertron
22-Dec-2010
11:51:51 AM
On 22/12/2010 bobic wrote:
>Does that clear it up for you climbertron?

Sure does
kieranl
22-Dec-2010
12:26:32 PM
One of the advantages of the overhand knot (EDK) is that its simplicity makes it easy to tie with gloves or cold hands.
gfdonc
22-Dec-2010
1:22:28 PM
Double fishermans. Bomber and works with any ropes. I've only ever got a (knot on a) rope stuck once, in the slot on the Mirrorball rap, where any sort of knot would get stuck (it's a crack that constricts at the end).

However, I do try to feed the knot over the edge whereever I can.
One Day Hero
23-Dec-2010
3:28:48 AM
On 22/12/2010 hargs wrote:
>
>Edit: um, unless you're not
>talking about climbing accidents.

:)

aarond
23-Dec-2010
9:33:05 AM
i would use a figure eight on the bight then another re-threaded figure 8 through the loop of the first one.
maybe even a double figure 8, that way you know your double backed up if one loop snaps.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 29
There are 29 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints