Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Topic Date User
Feedback on Kathmandu down jackets wanted 28-May-2010 At 3:16:06 PM foreverabumbly
>Hey,
>I am an freelance outdoor educator and I spend the vast majority of my
>time in cold climate's.
>I do not currently own a Downie for several reasons.
>1) if it gets wet is it useless. How often are we seriously in cold areas
>that are completely dry? (ok... perhaps a climbing forum is the wrong place
>to ask this rhetoric...
>2) A polar fleece, thermals and quality wool mid layer's provides me with
>plenty of warmth in all conditions.
>3) Its a $2-3-4-500 investment that I simply don't require.
>4) I see as owning a Down Jacket as a "status symbol" for extreme Outdoor
>enthusiast's who climb real mountains, wannabe's or rich weekend warrior's...
>5) Down gear is best suited to very cold (-10) climates, such as in Swaziland
>or Germany, where you only have one layer to put on to venture outside
>to cross the street to your neighbour's cosy living room.
>
>Furthermore I have found that all Kathmandu gear is overpriced and of
>a low quality/ durability. If your still intent on buying one, spend the
>cash on a quality MONT Icicle, available from Rock Hardware at a reasonable
>price. When I do have some spare cash that's what I will purchase.

>I am an freelance outdoor educator and I spend the vast majority of my
>time in cold climate's.
wow, Rocker, Bendigo isnt that cold and how much freelance outdoor educating do you do as a student? In fact have you actually done any yet? Aren't you still looking for work experience placements? Perhaps you need to talk to the lecturers about your waterproofing if your getting that wet. Of course, if you spent as much time outside as you claim you would realize that a lot of Australia gets cold and dry (yes even to -10). Which real mountains have you done? (It sez you do them on your profile) and you don't use a downie? That must mean you wear a whole heap of layers. But considering your experiences are Mt Beauty and Mt Arapiles perhaps you should only provide advice on things you actually know stuff about.
> I see as owning a Down Jacket as a "status symbol" for extreme Outdoor
>enthusiast's who climb real mountains, wannabe's or rich weekend warrior's...
well you've got 2 out of three covered.

As for the mont jacket, perhaps you need to talk to Ollie and the fact he is on his fourth mont downie due to warranty issues?

Banger stop pretending to be someone your not.

To the Original Poster. Down jackets are great, suited to Australian conditions, means you dont have to wear 4 layers and keeps you a constant temperature, I would recommend you get one. THey are also small, light and compact and great for an emergency layer (and when your caddis leaks). And amazing for when your curled up on an a sofa with a mug of milo. THe only issue from the OP is that a Krapmandu jacket wont tolerate rain as much as the more expensive(and water resistant) ones, but I find that is easily combated by wearing a rainjacket over the top.

There are 46 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints