Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Petzl Spirit draws damage

Loz and Tim
7-Feb-2010
8:44:21 PM
After buying some new Petzl quickdraws, I went climbing at our local crag to test them
out. After falling up a project with 2 people only doing 2 laps each, this is the condition i
found the biner clipped into the fixed hangers in. Deeply scarred!! I have attached some
pictures. These were brand new draws never used before, only 1 days use. I have a
number of other branded draws, some over 10yrs old and all showing no signs of this,
using these type hangers. Have Petzl changed there alloy composition recently?? They
were clipped to rather new Fixe hangers. Has anyone else had similar disfigurement??

rightarmbad
8-Feb-2010
12:04:30 AM
Just climb something within your abilities and it won't happen....
Standard reward for that sort of ethic.
One Day Hero
8-Feb-2010
1:04:55 AM
And for f---s sake, lose some weight! Its getting a bit disgusting
mikllaw
8-Feb-2010
8:41:39 AM
"rather new Fixe hangers"
I think you've answered your question.

Loz and Tim
8-Feb-2010
9:30:40 AM
Just to note this wasn't the draw i was falling on, it was a lucky biner and shows no damage at all. We also have new Mad Rock and Metolius hangers at the same crag, all new and don't have this problem attacking the draws! Are new Fixe hangers not for falling on till worn in?
climbingjac
8-Feb-2010
9:39:28 AM
Ring bolts are kinder to biners, I find
oliviergallien
8-Feb-2010
9:55:21 PM
Hi, I am using Petzl Spirit Express too and fall up several time on it but I've never see so deep notch, and yet in france most of the routes are fitted with Fixe hangers.
I suggest you to send your picture to Petzl with the serial number of the biner.
rightarmbad
8-Feb-2010
10:13:02 PM
First I suggest you recreate the same situation.
Then investigate exactly what is doing the damage.
Maybe it is as simple as taking a small round file with you and taking a bit of wayward metal off the hanger.
From the pictures though it looks like it has been moved a fair bit while under load, but that doesn't fit with your story?
summitslag
9-Feb-2010
2:23:11 AM
REMOVE THE HANGER
BEFORE SOME ONE GETS HURT

Loz and Tim
9-Feb-2010
8:12:54 AM
Taking a file to the hangers is the best option i think. The damage happened to about 4 draws that were further down the route, (out of about 8 below the crux, and only the new petzl ones have the marks). The climb is a steep rising traverse so as you fall the draws below swing slighly on the hangers under load.

Someone did tell me that petzl may have recently changed there alloy to a new and improved light weight model. Unsure if this is true.
One Day Hero
10-Feb-2010
2:27:34 AM
On 9/02/2010 summitslag wrote:
>REMOVE THE HANGER
>BEFORE SOME ONE GETS HURT

But if you do that, you'll be left with a..........carrot!!!

I'm a bit stumped as to whether this is a serious post or not. Either way it's pretty funny, I might get it made into a t shirt
helenE
10-Feb-2010
9:28:07 PM
Hi, i have had this happen to one of my petzls before, but it was my fault and not the draws. maybe the hanger is also sharp, the petzls generally wear really well.

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints