3% 
Five and three quarters 1
1% 
Hi, I'm Stugang's chew toy 5
3% 
Dude, where's my wheelchair 2
1% 

Topic Date User
How many time have you hit the ground falling off 1-Mar-2012 At 7:33:26 AM mikllaw
I've supressed many memories (you get too scared) but I must have at least 10
I had 5 grounders off sport routes in a 4 year period, all belay error.

One was from the anchors of Butts of Beef! I'd clipped in, sorted the rrope, leant back and then halfway down I went into free fall. The only thing that stopped me was that I landed on the run of rope between the belayer and 1st draw. I slid down that (which slowed me) and hit the belayer very hard with both feet, in the wedding tackle area. It was half an hour before he could start to shuffle out. I had burns on on hand as I'd obviously grabbed something.

One was a result of the gri gri handle being touched by the belayers body (he did the strange thing of clipping belay biner through both loops of his harness, which means there's a 50% chance of the grigri handle touching the body), there was no friction through that but he had deep burns on both hands and slowed me. It was a 12m fall onto a rock platform, I broke my coccyx and ankle.

I was cleaning Madge McDonald and after I'd removed the first draw, the belayer opened the handle of the grigri and I hit the ground hard.

I was on double ropes trying Slope 'n Sleazin and my belayer locked off only one of my 2 red ropes when I fell off the top (why not hold both?). I hit the back wall of the gully and then bounced down to the ground. For his sins he died soon after in NZ.

I pulled a block off a climb in the Wolgan, which knocked out my belayer (Glenn Tempest) and I caught myslef on a lower runner . I didn't hit the ground but he did as he was belaying lying on a tree branch

Here's a piece of physics for you, catching someone who's fallen 8m is the same as falling 8m. Kim fell of the then-unprotected start of Thin Time (there are now an extra 2 bolts in the start) and was zooming head first towards bad blocks so I caught him. I think we both ended up in hospital.

I fell about 10m into trees and landed on a steep scrubby slope aid soloing at Narrowneck without too much damage

I was starting to decend the Golden Streak boulder and fell off the top and landed on the ground between all the cannonball sized rocks without too much damage

Years earlier I was climbing with the school at Lindfield rocks and was setting up a toprope on abseil wall, not being too safe, when a puff on wind overbalanced me. I somehow landed on my feet and no-one noticed. I walked around the corner and Adrian said 'have you set that rope up already?' I said i needed another biner. I was virtually lying on my belly trying to clip the bolt next time- seems you can learn after all.

I better stop now, I'm getting scared

There are 89 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints