Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Topic Date User
Recovery from a scaiffoid fracture 9-Sep-2009 At 8:34:15 AM peterc
Ado - I broke my left scaphoid years ago, and agree with Phil, you don't want to mess around with it. My break didn't require surgery, but I was put into plaster for 14 weeks!!!!!

Half of that time I was in a cast from my shoulder to the tips of my fingers. Then after 7 weeks the doctor cut the cast down so that it only went up to my elbow. And all that was for a tiny little bone that looks like a peanut.

As I understand it, the scaphoid bone only receives blood supply from one direction, and when it's broken, the piece of bone furthest from the supply can wither if the break is displaced. Or can be difficult to heal. (Insert all the usual disclaimers here: i.e. I am not a doctor, am not qualified to give medical advice, and besides, have been known to make things up just because they sound good. In other words - please be guided by your doctor).

After being in plaster for so long, my arm looked half dead. (I peeled the dead skin off in sheets). Then I set about slowly building up strength again. It just took some time and patience. But even now, thirteen years later, my left wrist is not as flexible as my right. (Not that it affects my climbing in any way).

I've been going through a much longer rehab process at the moment for something else, and as frustrating as it is, I keep reminding myself not to overdo it. And so far, it seems to be working.

Good luck with it.

There are 6 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints