Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Topic Date User
Body of missing Australian climber found. 26-Jul-2007 At 9:58:37 PM hardware
I heard about Andrews death on the radio yesturday and I thought i'd post what I could find. I know Andrews brother and any kind wishes you choose to leave, i will make sure reach the Lindenmayer family.

Body of missing Australian climber found in SW China

www.chinaview.cn 2007-07-24 12:54:09

CHENGDU, July 24 (Xinhua) -- The body of Australian climber Andrew Clem Lindenmayer, who went missing in Mount Gongga in southwest China's Sichuan Province in May, has been found, local officials said on Tuesday.

The news came one day after the Sichuan Mountaineering Association confirmed the discovery of the body of Christine Boskoff, a renowned U.S. climber, in Genyen Mountain.

Villagers found a body on July 19 at Riwuqie peak 4,600 meters above the sea level. It has been identified as that of Lindenmayer, Guo Changping, an official with the Ganzi prefecture government, said on Tuesday.

The body was lying face down and his clothes and luggage were untouched, said Zheng Xianfeng, another prefecture official.

Lindenmayer, 48, wrote his last e-mail to his wife on April 18, saying he was planning to travel to Mount Gongga. He was reported missing in May.

His wife had gone to Riwuqie peak to identify the body, said Zheng.

She had wanted to bring the body back to Australia, but later agreed on cremation at Riwuqie peak since it was too dangerous to move the body from the steep slope, Zheng said.

Local police would go to the site on Friday to investigate the cause of Lindenmayer's death.

The Ganzi prefecture government had requested seven towns in Kangding county to mobilize villagers to look for Lindenmayer since June.

Last month, searchers looking for the Australian found a body believed to be that of a Japanese mountaineer who disappeared 26 years ago.

A 12-strong mountaineering team from Hokkaido, Japan, set out to climb Mount Gongga in May 1981, but eight members disappeared after a fall when the team was moving to an area 7,450 meters above sea level.

Gongga -- Tibetan for "highest snow-capped mountain" -- attracts both tourists and mountaineers to its soaring peaks and panoramic scenery. It has more than 20 peaks above 6,000 meters, the highest at 7,556 meters.

Eight teams comprising a total of 24 climbers have made successful ascents of the mountain between 1957 and 1999. But more than 20 people, including four Chinese, 14 Japanese, one French, one American, one Swiss and the Australian Andrew Clem Lindenmayer died on the peak.

Gao Min, deputy secretary general of the Sichuan Mountaineering Association, called on foreign climbers to register with the association before heading to the mountains.

"Many foreigners just climb the mountains in Sichuan without registration, so that they don't know the uncertain weather conditions and complicated geology well enough," Gao said.

Eight of the 10 foreigners who died while climbing Sichuan's mountains since November 2005 failed to register with the association, said Gao.

Gao said the association would offer climbers advice on local guides, weather conditions and camping sites if they registered.

There are 1 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints