Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
shipley accident
gil
22-Apr-2007
8:36:59 PM
anyone know what accident occured at shipley today?

hope it was something minor
hipster
23-Apr-2007
8:09:51 AM
Leader fall from 3.5m on a grade 13 just left of These People are Sandwiches. Had placed a cam (poorly) and moved up to clip a bolt. Overbalanced and fell backwards onto his back on uneven ground(the deck), when the cam pulled. Apparently it didn't take much removing. Bumped, bruised, scraped but nothing major. Was wearing a helmet which definitely helped. Stretcher carry to the car park and off to Katoomba hospital. Was from the University of Technology climbing group. They'd done a pretty good job patching him up and looking after him.
Ado

tnd
23-Apr-2007
8:38:30 AM
Which 13 - Pompadour or Trinity?

rodw
23-Apr-2007
8:44:21 AM
Trinity first bolt is a bit more than 3.5m off the ground isn't it?

Hope the person involves has a speedy recovery.
SomeBdyElse
23-Apr-2007
12:21:31 PM
He was climbing Pompadour and fell reaching for the first bolt after setting his first cam, which did not hold. We do not have the full diagnoses details by now, but it does not seem worse than perhaps broken bones. The hospital will keep him for at least half a week, though.

BigMike
23-Apr-2007
12:48:22 PM

Aus Climbing Association website has that climb listed as:

Pompadour 20m 13 Mixed [serious]
Should be forgotten about.

I've climbed the 18 to the right of it several times, but never really had a look as to where that 13 is. Didn't seem worth it. I think it was similarly bagged in the old guidebook.

What does the all new solar-powered expanded-star-system guidebook say about it, dare I ask?

kuu
23-Apr-2007
1:04:50 PM
On 23/04/2007 BigMike wrote:
>
>Aus Climbing Association website has that climb listed as:
>
>Pompadour 20m 13 Mixed [serious]
>Should be forgotten about.
>
>
>I've climbed the 18 to the right of it several times, but never really
>had a look as to where that 13 is. Didn't seem worth it. I think it was
>similarly bagged in the old guidebook.
>
>What does the all new solar-powered expanded-star-system guidebook say
>about it, dare I ask?
>
Simon Carter's new Guidebook says "Should be forgotten about" and the entry carries the little 'hand' symbol indicating "A route known to be especially risky"

BigMike
23-Apr-2007
1:10:16 PM

Hmmm.

Ta!

tnd
23-Apr-2007
3:24:30 PM
These guys were probably using a 1960's guide that gave it three stars!

BigMike
23-Apr-2007
4:01:53 PM

... or, they looked at the grade but not the warnings...

BigMike
23-Apr-2007
4:04:13 PM

... "Which never would happen with ENGLISH gradings cos then it would have been given HVS 4a, which would have told you it was way more serious than HVS 5a, of course, cos that's the beauty of the system" etc...

(as told by every Pom over a beer in a pub)
SomeBdyElse
23-Apr-2007
4:06:40 PM

Actually we had the most recent guide book with us (Blue Mountains Climbing, 2007 edition) and looked at it too. The climber decided to do the climb, knowing what he was on to.
I think there is no need for specs, just ask ;)

BigMike
23-Apr-2007
4:09:38 PM
On 23/04/2007 SomeBdyElse wrote:

>I think there is no need for specs, just ask ;)

What, and miss out a chance to expose our prejudices?

tnd
23-Apr-2007
4:34:33 PM
Good to see that the guide book description was spot on.
Fool in the Rain
23-Apr-2007
6:42:17 PM
I climbed Pompadour years ago when I couldn't climb much harder. However I spent a lot of time on chossy, run out grade 11s, 12s 13s and 14s. The first few moves are not much different to the grade 18 to the right (which I climbed, latter on, when I'd run out of easy stuff to do)
There have been quite a few accidents in the mountains lately on low grade (13,14,15) climbs. Unfortunately, even on low grade climbs gravity works just the same and the ground is just as hard when you hit it.

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints