Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Topic Date User
Tito Traversa Killed in a Fall 22-May-2018 At 9:33:50 AM One Day Hero
>Risk is a function of consequence and likelihood. I reckon with good management
>you can reduce the likelihood of catastrophe enough.

I think there is a climbing-wide habit of rounding small probabilities down to zero, and then repeating the low risk action tens of thousands of times. In fact, it's a pretty common error that most humans make.
>
>In the case of younger children I'm actually way more worried about them
>at the crag when they aren't roped up and climbing.

Yeah, but this doesn't negate the risks of climbing, it gets added on. You don't really care whether your kid gets crippled climbing or gully scrambling. What should interest you is the total risk you're exposing your kids to.
>
>As for the percentage of kids maimed or killed ... that is out of my control
>... all I can do is hope and pray it doesn't happen.

Wrongo. The more risk you expose your kids to, the greater chance they will win the bad lottery. Along with all the other crag parents, your choices affect total population injury rates.

Bringing more young kids into climbing will result in serious injuries and fatalities of children at crags. Most of them won't be freak things like poorly assembled draws, it'll be the same basic mechanisms which kill and injure adults (inattentive belays, half-tied knots, loose rock, single points of pro failing resulting in ground falls, etc, etc).
The important point is that these accident mechanisms are well known and understood, and we can't stamp them out amongst adults. You guys are deluding yourselves if you think the population-wide results will be any different with kids.

>Not that much different than having a backyard pool with toddlers in the
>house.

I don't really think the benefits justify the risks there either.

>I believe that kids who grow up bushwalking, climbing, skiing, paddling,
>canyoning, surfing, fishing, sailing etc are going to end up being way
>safer in the mountains and on the ocean when they are adults. I'm not sure
>exactly why this is.

I think you're just making that up. It might be right, but it might not be.

There are 76 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints