Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Topic Date User
St Peters Gym accident 3-Feb-2017 At 10:29:15 PM Andrew_M
Since everyone is telling their gym belay horror stories I'll chime in another one, with some variations and obligatory flakey interpretations/lessons.

Few years ago at St Peters, missed the top clip at about 14m and took a ground fall but somehow managed to come off completely unscathed (so I wouldn't show up in Garbie's incident records).

It was complete belayer error. My regular partners had piked so I'd ended up climbing with mate of a mate who, as it turned out, was a complete f---nuckle. He was apparently barely paying attention because he was too busy checking out and posing for some girls on the next climb. Thing is that, the way I see it, I was as much responsible for what happened as he was since the warning signs were there. He talked himself up massively but he wobbled up his first lead backclipping half the draws on the way. Yet I still chose to keep climbing with him. Why? I dunno - maybe at least partly it was because I didn't want to feel like a prick for being effectively critical of him by switching to top roping.

It took me a long time to get anything like my old lead head back after the fall, but in some ways it's kind of good it happened because I did get to walk away having learned some lessons. I reckon it's made me a better belayer because I'm now paranoid about paying attention to the leader and to my belay technique. I'm now also massively paranoid about who belays me and how. I reckon some folks I climb with think I'm a bit weird about it but now I now don't care if they think it's an odd quirk or I'm a prick or whatever. Ultimately when you're climbing it's your life and the decision to climb with someone or not is your call - if you don't have faith in your belayer then just walk away.

There are 63 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints