Report Accidents and Injuries

Topic Date User
Near Miss - Abseiling on tail of ropes. 1-Feb-2016 At 7:46:37 AM Dr Nick

>The second lesson I have learned is that prussiks are a pretty damn good
>defence against abseiling off the rope. If I had a prussik and my brake
>hand felt the rope slip through, I possibly would have caught it with my
>prussik hand, letting the prussik do its job. Without a prussik there's
>less opportunity to catch it. * I did have knots in the end of the main
>lines, though in this situation it wouldn't have helped me.

I have a vague memory that someone (Petzl?) tested this and found that most of the time the prusik (or shunt, or whatever) will be off the end of the rope before you realise bad things are happening. While it's not necessarily a bad thing to use, it may be lulling you into a false sense of security. Were you going to make a similar comment as a footnote with the asterisk there?

The lesson you glossed over is the one that I think is more important - your routine has to include at least a double check, and this gets more critical the longer you've been climbing - just cause you didn't stuff up in the last 10+ years doesn't make you infallible.

Glad you're OK, and thanks for sharing a way of stuffing up I hadn't heard before.

There are 22 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints