Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Rescue in Blue Mountains May 31
maxdacat
1-Jun-2015
2:19:39 PM
I keep getting asked about this at work, so thought I'd check it out:

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/05/31/18/43/daredevil-rock-climber-lucky-to-be-alive-after-getting-tangled-in-rope-on-cliff-face

- use of term "daredevil" TICK
- lack of geographical understanding and/or proof reading, ie "climbing Pulpit Rock and Blackheath" TICK
- "sheer cliff face" DOUBLE TICK!!

Thank god for tabloid reporting :p

Macciza
1-Jun-2015
2:52:30 PM
"Stranded several hundred metres up" TRIPLE TICK !!!

BundyBear
1-Jun-2015
3:01:32 PM
Bell Bird Wall ?
gnarly_rider
1-Jun-2015
3:01:40 PM
Oh come on guys, you barely got going.....

1/. is "lucky" to be alive

2/. "perched precariously" on a small ledge

3/. "Rescue crews 'scaled' down the sheer..." - can someone please educate me what this means? I thought the normal reference for 'scaling' was upwards progression?

phillipivan
1-Jun-2015
3:12:41 PM
Apparently he suffered muscle fatigue... That wouldn't be at all similar to ahh, getting pumped would it now?
Dave_S
1-Jun-2015
3:56:46 PM
On 1/06/2015 gnarly_rider wrote:
>3/. "Rescue crews 'scaled' down the sheer..." - can someone please educate
>me what this means? I thought the normal reference for 'scaling' was upwards
>progression?

Correct, whereas "descaling" refers to moving downwards. Always remember to set your iron to "descale" mode before moving toward the cliff edge.

E. Wells
1-Jun-2015
6:29:03 PM
Geez they got my age wrong aswell!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
2-Jun-2015
10:33:17 AM
On 1/06/2015 E. Wells wrote:
>Geez they got my age wrong aswell!

Ok, continuing the tongue in cheek...
If you were abseiling, then why did they call you a climber?
Heh, heh, heh.

... and as depicted at start of the video clip, are you giving the photographer the bird, while cop writes you out a 'no standing' ticket?

Pic courtesy of Ch9News

You look suspiciously like another Chockstone inmate that used to have a gastropod for an icon...
>Not minny , uff inny.
... though other climbers look like abseilers in front of TV cameras?
~> so where is the trip report (with pics), and the accident report for the minor cramps suffered?
;-)

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints