Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Topic Date User
Ground fall at St Peters monday night 20-Aug-2014 At 8:00:33 PM sbm
Yep it was me. Here's the account I wrote.

"On monday night we were lead climbing in the new area of St Peters. The accident happened on probably my 4th or 5th climb for the night. I hadn't actually fallen off yet climbing at all that night and hadn't been at my limit. At the point I fell off I was insecure but trying hard, and it wasn't really expected - I hadn't yelled out "watch me" to the belayer.

I fell off about halfway up, a little above the last draw. I think they said 10-12m in the report but I think it was more like 8m. Basically my hands slipped off and I just kept going all the way. The route was overhanging so I landed about 2m away from the wall. I think there was a little friction in the system but it was pretty much a free fall.

I landed on my butt sitting down and rolled back flat on my back. I've been practising falling properly a lot, bouldering on the 45 degree wall at the Ledge (which has very stiff matting), and I actually think this helped heaps, I landed really well instinctively, and I didn't really hit my head.

Straight away I realised I could still feel everything and wiggle my toes etc, and I actually managed to get my shoes and harness off before curling up on the floor groaning at bit, before realising my neck and back hurt and I should probably lie down flat and wait.

They called the ambulance and I got the full ride to hospital with a neck brace and scoop stretcher. I had a little pain in my lower back and my neck but once I was immobilised I was fine. There was no real pain when they felt around my spine.

I got xrays at the hospital and basically it turns out I have whiplash in my neck and a bit of a sore back but that's it. They let me out at about 1am and honestly at that point the most painful thing by far was the needle hole where they'd taken a blood test.

I'm back at work today, I feel really sore, like after a huge day or mega workout, but I'm ok.

As for the belayer - well basically [name] lost control of the rope. They didn't have burns so I think the rope might have got ripped out of their hands, if it was held in a bad/lazy non-locked-off position. [more personal stuff]"

More info: Rope was a 10mm tendon master on the fuzzy side (my red rope). Belay device was ATC guide style copy from Mad Rock.

There are 34 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints