HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Topic Date User
1 x belay for Indoor / outdoor - (non vcc thread) 19-Feb-2010 At 6:52:50 PM rolsen1
>Two years? This is not the black magic. No need for the Sorcerer's Apprentice
>to take the trial of fire and wind.

Learning is about being in situations that challenge your previous assumptions and leading you to new
insights and greater appreciation of the breadth and subtleties of the subject. So learn to place really
good gear in all situations, it takes lots of climbing in lots of different crags on different types of
routes with opportunities to discuss and reflect on what has happened and what you learned with
someone who is experienced.

I reckon 2 years from nothing to skilled independent leader who is able to teach others in any situation
is about right in my limited experience and sample size of 2. And I'm talking about semi regular
weekend warriors not pines residents. How often do you have to use jiggery pokey like stacking nuts,
using gear in opposition, assessing whether gear will hold.... things like these take time to learn.

But maybe I'm a slow learner and crappy teacher.

>Care to enlighten us with your curriculum?

There is a quicker "Rock Climbing for Dummies" which teaches you to lead trad in 30 days
guaranteed, that one would probably suit you better. Especially tailored for routes with easy to place
gear bomber gear for leaders who never fall and only climb 3 star classics at Araps.

>I am not sure exactly why roslen1 has rubbed me the wrong way here. Maybe,
>
>it is just Friday arvo and my temper is short. We learn to climb by climbing.
> It
>ain't complicated. Go climbing!

No offense taken, I only post on here when I'm bored as well

There are 159 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints