HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Author
anyone from sydney going backcountry this weekend?
Nick
18-Aug-2008
7:23:06 PM
driving down friday sometime to pay my respects. anyone keen let me know.
JohnK
19-Aug-2008
9:33:04 AM
Hey Nick,
Likely to be at Blue Lake Sat arvo - walking in from Horses Gap as I'm coming from Melbourne and planning on camping at the base of Crummer spur
climberman
19-Aug-2008
9:39:54 AM
John - Dead horse gap to Blue Lake is a bit of a hike given the various other options available, surely ?
Wollemi
19-Aug-2008
10:00:08 AM
Repects? Is there a memorial service being organised for this Tom Carr-Boyd chap?

DHG to Blue Lake would be at least a 1.5 day walk, by my reckoning - even if you refer to snow-shoes. Park at Guthega if you have a car, although on a couple of occasions people I have travelled with have put on chains twice between the turn-off at the Perisher Rd and Guthega.

JohnK
19-Aug-2008
12:29:06 PM
On 19/08/2008 climberman wrote:
>John - Dead horse gap to Blue Lake is a bit of a hike given the various
>other options available, surely ?

Just want to try and do it a bit harder I guess having done it in other ways. Would like to do a circuit in/out over the range. Last time it took me something like 6 hours to go from Blue Lake over Kosci and into Seamen's hut. So I guess another 3 hours to get to Rawson's pass from Dead Horse Gap think 9 hrs could be ok. Weather dependent I guess - if it looks bad it will be via Charlotte's so lets see.
climberman
19-Aug-2008
8:10:05 PM
On 19/08/2008 JohnK wrote:

>Just want to try and do it a bit harder I guess having done it in other
>ways. Would like to do a circuit in/out over the range. Last time it took
>me something like 6 hours to go from Blue Lake over Kosci and into Seamen's
>hut. So I guess another 3 hours to get to Rawson's pass from Dead Horse
>Gap think 9 hrs could be ok. Weather dependent I guess - if it looks bad
>it will be via Charlotte's so lets see.

Cool - sounds great !

Capt_mulch
19-Aug-2008
8:22:25 PM
The snow conditions on the Main Range are just fantastic. The coverage is amazing, so travel should be fast, and it will be easy to go direct. Plan to have a crap at the highest dunny in Oz at Rawson Pass. My only worry the other day was that there are sections (especially on south facing slopes), that have icy glaze on them as we haven't had a good dump of snow for about a week, and have been having clear days and cold, clear nights. You might not get as good as this for another twenty years. You guys understand what to keep away from. Be safe.

BTW, if you are going to Blue Lake via Charlotte Pass, there is now a road snow ploughed from the Kosi road, down to the Snowy bridge, then up to Blue Lake via Hedley Tarn.
JohnK
20-Aug-2008
8:54:16 AM
>BTW, if you are going to Blue Lake via Charlotte Pass, there is now a
>road snow ploughed from the Kosi road, down to the Snowy bridge, then up
>to Blue Lake via Hedley Tarn.

Are you for real? I have snowshoed on the road from Seaman's hut to Charlotte's, but a snow ploughed road from Charlotte's to Blue Lake sounds like simple luxury especially if you are on skis!

Capt_mulch
20-Aug-2008
9:29:25 AM
Put in by the rescue services last Sunday. It will disappear with the snow...

Climboholic
20-Aug-2008
9:50:37 AM
We are heading to Blue Lake from Charlotte's Pass for some ice climbing on Sat morn.
JohnK
20-Aug-2008
10:23:07 AM
Climbholic & Nick,

As my climbing partner has just pulled out I'll be doing a solo mission to Blue Lake this year. Hope to see you guys there, and if you like can hook up for a climb. Will not be getting there until Sat arvo, climb all day Sunday and walk out Monday. If the weather is crap will go in via Charlottes otherwise Dead horse gap.

Capt_mulch
20-Aug-2008
11:09:15 AM
I'd actually really like to get back up there this weekend, but I am on Daddy duty, and the haul in would be a little too much for an eight year old. I'll see what happens, I'll keep it in mind though. I might like to go up there again the weekend after next.

wallwombat
20-Aug-2008
11:10:42 AM
I'll go the weekend after next, Nick.
Nick
20-Aug-2008
4:48:17 PM
Climberholic, how are you getting to Charlotte's Pass? I was gonna go from guthega.

mousey
21-Aug-2008
4:51:45 PM
In winter the easiest way is Hans Oversnow (cats) from the Perisher ski tube terminal

Climboholic
24-Aug-2008
2:54:12 PM
The plan was to get the 0815 Charlotte's Pass Resort snow-cat from Perisher. But when we got there we discovered it was booked out until 1145 h. We ended up walking from Perisher to Charlotte's Pass to Blue Lake then back to Charlotte's to catch the 1730 cat home. We still got some good climbing in though.

If anyone plans to catch the snow-cat in the morning I recommend booking ahead.

There are 16 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints