Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Topic Date User
south africa 24-Nov-2005 At 5:12:20 PM Nottobetaken
Wow! That's like reading a typical bad press release by a foreign newspaper!
I accept that South Africa isn't exactly the land of fairytales - but perhaps you just had the misfortune of having a bad experience.
The stats relating to SA having the highest murder & rape occurences in the world I think you'll find are based on CBD/highly populated areas - and not climbing ones. By highly populated I mean very highly populated - which might go a long way to explain this abnormal percentage rating as well. Sure - if you're 'buildering' in Hillbrow - then be prepared to get gang raped (or shot) - but hey - the same thing could happen to you in NY.

As suggested, it depends upon which part of the country you are travelling. Generally speaking the rural Zulu population (in Natal - and therefore the Drakensburg) are very accomodating and great people. But that said - even the poorest of the poor (irrespective of tribe) are peaceful and easy to get along with. 3 years ago (2002) I found myself driving into the poorest part of Soweto (with my wife no less) armed with just a couple of childrens books and a few blankets for the local school. I ended up visiting one of the local teachers houses (6 pieces of corrugated iron stuck together) - walking past the old (and young) men drinking at one of the illegal chabeens - and yeah - I wasn't exactly comfortable - particularly after being told not to wear a seat belt - (in case we got car-hijacked by gunpoint) - but that was my choice to go there. Anyway - these people were great hosts - despite their immediate predicament, and we were fine.

Never once in 10 years of hitchhiking and then hiking through places such as the Drakensburg mountains was I ever challenged or made to feel not welcome - and in those days (early 90's) the scene was arguably more threatening than now (well - according to overseas press releases anyway!) All we heard back then was how much violence was going on - and how dangerous the country was - but this was mainly coming out of the BBC - who either didn't know shit - or had just chosen to fly one of their dear reporters into a 'red zone' (normally Soweto of course). It's no wonder the place got bad press!

The Cape is even less 'well documented' as being a threat - and the climbing community is the strongest in this part of the country (based of course on the amount of good climbing to be had). Overseas visitors to Rocklands and other such world famous venues never lead to reports of violence or similar behaviour by the locals. Certainly it hasn't bothered some of the world's top climbers like Bernd Zangerl, Jerry Moffatt, Fred Nicole, Elie Cheveau or Klem Loskot.

In summary - if you stay out of the cities (mainly JHB) - and get hooked up with some local climbers who can show you where to go (and where not to go) - you should be fine. Hiring a car on your own and trying to find your way around is never a good idea in Africa in general - and getting lost is a definite no no. Trust me - I've done it.
At the end of the day it will also be based on your 'comfort level'. If you live in a bubble (such as suburban Australia) and rarely venture anywhere else - then of course you're going to feel threatened.

There are 18 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints