Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Topic Date User
Hard Rock Climbing -- Need Partner 26-Mar-2013 At 11:17:39 AM plumb-bob
Man there are some real jerks in this forum sometimes.

I agree that OP should not necessarily rule out climbing outdoors, and that her rather clinical and structured approach to climbing indoors only may not be the best way to develop her all-round climbing skills. However, I do understand that different people have different ways of going about things and some people like to set very rigid plans and goals to help them progress, and that's obviously OPs preferred method.

Just because you don't agree with her method (or madness) doesn't mean you should get on here and rip her a new one. A couple of gentle suggestions are fair enough, but some of the language and tone in this thread is just stupid.

People climb for different reasons, with different goals and that is what makes this sport so great.

Some people are in it for fun, some are in it to push themselves. Some like structure and challenging goals, some hate that stuff and just want to climb and let the progression happen naturally (or not at all). I would argue that most climbers (like myself) are people that are not attracted to organised team sports because they don't like having to turn up to training on time if they're not in the mood, or the pressure of always competing against others. They prefer the freedom that climbing allows - to take things at your own pace, to compete against yourself (mentally and physically), and to climbing when and where you want to.

I think some of the less structured climbers get pi$$ed at people trying to plan and structure things, but mostly that's because they don't apply that sort of structure to their sports and don't see it working with climbing. The truth is, structure and goals can be very beneficial for some people. So let them go for it. They may not reach their goals, but just having high goals can push you further than you would have got without them.

Sure, provide a few tips here and there on how to best plan their climbing progression, but there is no need to berate them. Unless of course it makes you feel like a big man (ODH), then go right ahead. Improve your self-esteem at the expense of others.

OP, I'd suggest not limiting yourself to just gym climbing over the next 6 months. Not just for the progression of your skills/confidence on rock, but for the enjoyment that you get from climbing outdoors. I'd also suggest that you get your lead ticket as early as possible (provided you find a partner) to help you develop your lead skills.

Good luck, and ignore the trolls!

Haters gonna hate.

There are 38 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints