Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Topic Date User
Killiecrankie, Flinders Island 10-Feb-2012 At 4:16:02 PM duglash
Despite crossing four stars out of the guidebook on the first day I really liked Killiecrankie. The place is stunning, the weather went from idyllic to wild, the swimming is lovely and the climbing is – not as good as the first ascentionists reckon – but it's interesting and adventurous and there's a bunch of great looking new routes to do.

I think the problem with the guidebook is largely one of expectation – these days one expects glossy guides with topos to be accurate – the guide book writers acknowledge that the guide is a compilation of existing guides with little verification, but it looks like a more accurate guide than it is. Treat it as a dog-eared compilation of hand drawn notes and you'll be right. Having written a guide and knowing how much work it is and how little money you make in return I'm more sympathetic than Wendy, but more descent information than the scant amount provided would be welcome.

I'll write up the notes from my guidebook when I have time which should save future visitors some skin and swearing at thick bush.

You'd have to be a drooling idiot to deny that reachy routes exist, and some crags have more of them than others. The area often makes distinct holds with blank bits inbetween and I often found myself stretched out on Flinders cruxes thinking “Wonder how Enga/Wendy's going to do that?” - I'm 5'11 with a 6'2 span, they are both considerably less.

If you are casting aspersions on the diameter of Wendy's ovaries you should have been at Barbican Rocks the other week when she led a 19 that put anything at Flinders into the shade, it wins as the most horrifically loose and unpleasant climbing experience I have ever had, and I was only seconding. I wouldn't lead it even to get away from a loud, hypocritical, brittle, macho, OCD christian, my least favourite type of dangerous wildlife.

And climberman, my hair does not look funny, it looks cool. I can't believe you can't see that... maybe you need a second pair of glasses? (Hi Jules, I's good, nice to see you out there!)

There are 95 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints