Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Topic Date User
North Face of Mt Kenya and other fun 5-Aug-2011 At 1:44:01 PM Robb
In July 2011, I took a trip to East Africa with the hope of climbing Mt Kenya and Mt Kilimanjaro and check out Africa a bit. After a 2 day easy walk into Shiptons hut at 4200m, we climbed pt lenana (4900m) for acclimatisation then I managed a solo ascent of the north face of Mt Kenya (Batian 5199m) in a 10 hour day. The climbing was awesome on mostly good rock. The route I climbed ended up being about grade 18 on the cux pitches on firmins tower and possibly a harder variation than what is usually climbed. Super fun day and it was great having the whole mountian to myself. I took a rope just in case but only used it on the descent.
Then after a rest day climbed a slightly easier variation of the route with kate in a 15 hour day. Had to move fast because we had no bivvy gear. It was kate's first big alpine climb and she styled it.
Then it was off to checkout some animals in the Masai Mara and Lake Nakura before climbing Mt Kilimanjaro (~5900m) with Adam and Karen. Fun relaxed trip with good friends and fun times. Finished off with some diving in Zanzibar.

Ill try to write a bit more about the trip later but for now here are some photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_baker/sets/72157627354986518/

click on slideshow for easy viewing.

There are 5 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints