Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Topic Date User
Easter Epic - can you beat this? 28-Mar-2008 At 12:52:38 PM prb
I can't beat bluey's epics, just had several of those "I could be getting into trouble here" moments on a
new route.

I rarely plunder Victorian crags for new routes, I just don't feel it's my turf, but last weekend we were
staying in a valley about 10k NE of Myrtleford for a mate's birthday. Across the valley, on the western
slopes of Mt Jack I believe, was a sunny little granite crag known locally as Bum Rock with a couple
of useful looking lines on it. We wandered over for a look.

The "hard" line was a clean wide hands crack with an undercut start. We had a quick feel but decided
to do the "easy" line first which the birthday boy had insisted was about grade 11, having toproped it
some time ago. It looked pretty steep and slick for an 11 to me but it was an excellent line, up a
leaning inset corner-crack to a roof then a wall crack to the top, about 25m in all.

Well the first half of the climb ate medium stoppers and 0.75 cams, placed while laybacking in a semi-
pumpy fashion with good smears. Then the corner straightened and the angle relented a little which
was good because I'd run out useful gear. I walked up the crack about 4m and thankfully found the
crack in the roof widened a little and took a good #1 cam. Nevertheless that was going to be the one
piece keeping me from getting hurt until I topped out. That's can be OK it you know the climb but trad
new routing is a different ball game. I found exiting the corner the crux, stepping onto the R arete and
then R again onto the wall. The top crack went OK once I'd gotten a foot up and in, but topping out
was pretty delicate with collapsing ankles from standing sideways in cracks for too long. It all sounds
dramatic, but Mt Buffalo veterans would fly up it:

Burkey's Birthday Bash Corner (18). Paul & Chris 21/3/08

Easter was our first (climbing) visit to Buffalo, a good 10 hours drive from Adelaide. Certainly no
shortage of impressive rock. The highlight on Saturday was Maharajah with the Flake Start, on Sunday
we were at Eurobin falls for Mother of Pearl and Llafnwod (hmmm, I'd lead the latter but might get a
few more Buffalo routes under my belt first).

There are 42 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints