Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Topic Date User
Araps Xmas 07 8-Jan-2008 At 2:32:55 PM westie
Here's a brief report on a few days at Araps just prior to x'mas. (photos can be found on my brand spanking Flickr account - Westie08 ... gotta love that Canon Ixus70)

John and I left a sopping Melbourne on Saturday 22nd hoping for a few clear days at Araps before rushing back to the turkey and wine early in the week.

It cleared a little as we headed through Stawell but when we arrived as the sun dipped below the crag it was clear not many shared our optimism. We counted 15 tents - practically deserted!

The morning of the 23rd was clear and cool - about 17-18c and sunny, perfect climbing weather. We headed off to the Atridae to climb some old favourites. I had hoped to push myself a little following my new training regime of tim tams and TV and break into the 18s/19s. John was happy to consolidate and work on his technique.

As it turned out we stayed within our comfort zone for the most part. I started the day on Hell for Leather (15) which is a nice, slightly overhung jug fest. If you want a good grade 15 for your first lead at the grade it would have to be up there. A really nice warm up. John jumped on Surface to Air (17) next and seemed to cruise up it OK (with the usual commentary). He did the easy start on the left so naturally I had to do the hard start on second. It sat me on my arse and I almost left a fingernail in that well chalked first hold at about head height. Up the easy way then.

After an early lunch we headed over to Tiger Wall. I had been hanging out to do Resignation for a while so we decided to do Kaiser's first pitch and head in to Resignation. A lot of the first pitches around hear are quite squeezy as was Kaiser. The second pitch of Res. has a nice little traverse with a big pull up to the belay and the 3rd pitch is quite sensational (though the end is a bit dicky - we combined 3 and 4).

On the way down Ali's there was a fat slapper or two climbing the chains in thongs with mega backpacks and not bothering to clip in along the way. Hilarious. Easy way to die on a poor climb.

The next morning saw a little drizzle and we headed off to the Northern Group. I was keen to try Affinity near Echo Crag but sensibly decided against it looking at the cruxy overhanging crack. Sketchy! The fallback climb was Touchstone (14) which was a barrel of fun. So much variety in one climb. This time I bagged the choice pitch finishing pitch two up a nice slab (pro no probs??) onto a windy arete quite high up. This climb is well worth the walk and the battle to get to the base.

John wanted to solo something but I wanted to do something a little harder so we headed down to Castle Crag. John jumped on Swinging and then I led it as well. I'd done a few 17s and 18s around the place but not at Araps so this felt like an achievement - even if it is bolted. Quite a fun crux there near the second bolt.

We were pretty tuckered out so finished with some bouldering on Goor Morning Arapiles and hit the road.

Another good whirlwind visit.

There are 8 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints