Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Topic Date User
The wombats road trip! Watch this space 13-Dec-2004 At 2:51:08 PM wombats
From the other end of the Rope! Here's a summery the days up to the moment of the pre-told events.

Travelling from Darwin to Kalbarri took about 12 days with 4 spent lazing about in Broome. We drove through some spectacular Ranges between N.T and West Aus. boarder, and then more down to as far a Hall's Creek. Not much from there onwards unless you go off road totally and bush bash( not that there is any bush to bash) into the horizon. Kalbarri was pretty much the first and best quality we came across, so as you can imagine we were pretty fired up to be in such a spectacular Climber's heaven. Yes it is heaven there, superb rock, awesome climbing potential just screaming out to be climbed on.
As always first day spent wandering around finding stuff. If we had brains, we woulda just taken our shoes and explored, but no had to be keen and spent our time lugging around the gear. Was all good though, we both were enjoying doing what we had come to do.
Next day....( funny how things change in an instant)
There is nothing worse than hearing what came next... I was up top fixing an anchor to abseil or even Top Rope the route. Didnt like the set up, had a half dead tree and some cracks. Gave up trying( was thinking that is a bad fall if anything goes wrong) and started to pack the gear up and walk down when I was thinking Nina is quiet, what's she doing?? Then came that awful sound of something/someone scraping and then THUD...a moment of silence and then a scream...Oh my god I think I've broken my leg.
As I couldnt see her, I was thinking "F..k what's happened, f..k gotta get down fast, f..k will I make it if I jump from that ledge? F..k."( no I didnt jump, wanted to but knew better)
As soon as I came around the corner and saw Nina sitting up I thought " Phew no spine or neck damage. She was clutching her right leg above her ankle and it was pretty obvious that it was broken. I looked up at the descent ladder and the rest of the Gorge and thought " How the f--- am I going to get her out of here?"
Luckily for us, there were two people at the Look-out who saw us and went for help.
Four hours, 12-14 rescurers and a lot of sweat and pain, we got her out and into the waiting ambulance, off to Kalbarri Medical Center and then a 7pm flight courtesy of the Royal Flying Doctor Service to Perth Royal Hospital Trauma Ward.

I drove down next morning as had I attempted a night drive in the state I was in, I probably wouldnt of made it.

Many thanks to the SES, CALM, RFDS, Kalbarri Medical Crew( mostly volenteers), Rob & Kirsty( Adventure Tours), Bec, Russel( the Pommy Tourist who was one of the first on the scene) and to everyone else involved. We are forever grateful for the kindness and compassion we recieved from you all.

And now...I guess its back to the gym( a gym/any gym) for me whislt Nina is on the road to recovery( Reckon she be good to belay me in a few months?)
We may be beaten, but never defeated.!
Respect the Rock!

PLU.

C.
p.s- sorry probably should have posted this on the accident site.

There are 45 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints