HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Grampians Northern Mt Stapylton Campground (General) [ Mt Stapylton Campground Guide | Images ] 

Topic Date User
The Ravine - new Gramps mid grade sport crag. 25-Mar-2008 At 9:29:35 PM dreamingof8a
>I did a revamp of the track marking today - lots more cairns and tape markers.
>There is no way anyones getting lost now! Also added new route on left
>side of wall - it's a bit dirty still - grade 21ish with six bolts.

Just back from two days at the Ravine - great crag! I really like the climbs ...

Some subjective comments on the grades: Brush With Authority (21) felt harder than Lake Thelma (21) but probably due to the dirt. Hey Youse (20) on the far right side felt way easier than Pains Ford (19) (also to my partner who failed to do the 19 first go but easily did the 20 first go after having climbed 4 other routes).

Hung Low Bay (24) is beautiful! Best route there IMHO despite the upper easy two thirds, however the project looks awesome, too.

[ONSIGHT SPOILER]
How did you intend to do the crux, using the chalked two finger pocket for your right hand? I went from the good edge out a bit left to the painful gaston, high stepped on little chalked pebble and reached up high with my right hand to crimp and further to good side pull. Very nice bouldery move, holds weren't chalked at all but easier than the pocket version. I'd say left rather 23ish, straight 24 probably okay (I actually couldn't pull the two finger pocket :-) )
[/ONSIGHT SPOILER]

Comment on the picture in the online guide

I think that the cliff marked as Olive Caves is actually the upper cliff whereas the Olive Caves are among the rocks visible right near the fire track.

The access via the longer 2WD track is easy except for one dangerous bit right before the Olive Caves where you have to get past a nasty rock in the middle of the track. Has lots of scratch marks :-) Back to the camp is easiest via the shorter sandy bit since it is down hill.

There are 71 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints